Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:59 PM   #1
moneymm
Registered Member

Is there any competition for Divers Den?

If i am looking to buy quarantined fish or invert, is my only option online Divers Den?

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 02:18 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

People here won't consider what Diver's Den does quarantining either.

Other websites do have wysiwyg options.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 02:46 PM   #3
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
People here won't consider what Diver's Den does quarantining either.

Other websites do have wysiwyg options.
I thought divers den was mostly considered acceptable on here. Have people gotten burnt on here with sick fish from DD?

Unread 12/06/2017, 02:57 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
I thought divers den was mostly considered acceptable on here. Have people gotten burnt on here with sick fish from DD?
They are acceptable...

But I believe that even with quarantine the stresses involved in transportation can cause the ICH to flare right back up...

Those that actively/religiously quarantine will still do their own quarantine no matter what DD or even their own mother said she did already..

Unread 12/06/2017, 03:09 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
They are acceptable...

But I believe that even with quarantine the stresses involved in transportation can cause the ICH to flare right back up...

Those that actively/religiously quarantine will still do their own quarantine no matter what DD or even their own mother said she did already..

^^^This^^^ x 1000

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 03:39 PM   #6
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
^^^This^^^ x 1000
got it, so is there another company out their doing the same as divers den?

Unread 12/06/2017, 04:10 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

I think there are several that claim to b e QT'ing, but until they creature has passed my own QT I just cannot bring myself to trust that it is disease free.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 04:20 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

If you are not able to quarantine them yourself, you could ask the best saltwater LFS in your area about this. They are in the business to sell fish. If they have display tanks with fish that they keep and don't sell they might be able to quarantine them for you or point you in the right direction for disease free fish in the industry. (If there is such a thing these days.)

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

I ordered a Black Axil Chromis from Live Aquaria as I also trusted them because I didn't have a quarantine tank. 2 weeks after it came I noticed it had a parasite, It then died, and took down another fish with it. Now I'm trying to get the parasite out of my display tank that has a coral and inverts in it.

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 12:05 PM   #10
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_Hydra View Post
I ordered a Black Axil Chromis from Live Aquaria as I also trusted them because I didn't have a quarantine tank. 2 weeks after it came I noticed it had a parasite, It then died, and took down another fish with it. Now I'm trying to get the parasite out of my display tank that has a coral and inverts in it.
Did you order from DD or LA? They have VERY distinct differences.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 01:41 PM   #11
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i don't trust anyone to QT except me.

DD will even tell you that you need to actually QT their fish, just like any other.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 02:49 PM   #12
moneymm
Registered Member

anyone have any idea what the percentages are on getting a healthy fish from LA, or from DD?

is it like 75% and 95%? or more like 50 and 95?

Unread 12/07/2017, 05:14 PM   #13
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

Honestly just QT your fish for a few weeks no matter how well someone else claimed to. Or you may learn the hard way which is a 200-300 dollar tank wipeout and a 10 week fallow period (your choice).

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:36 PM   #14
rocsec1
Registered Member

Doesn’t work wide corals do this too?

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 07:48 PM   #15
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Eel View Post
Honestly just QT your fish for a few weeks no matter how well someone else claimed to. Or you may learn the hard way which is a 200-300 dollar tank wipeout and a 10 week fallow period (your choice).
i dont have alot of space for another tank.

But that is my plan now, i will find a way to make it work. it is certainly not worth a real problem.

one problem is it basically has to go right next to my DT, and i am worried water can splash over

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:21 PM   #16
jaking
Registered Member

I'm glad I found this thread I was about to order a few from them and go straight in due to the quarantine process they say they go through... I think I will not be skipping that...

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:18 PM   #17
fifthtoe
Registered Member

My experience has been that DD fish usually appear to be healthier, fatter, and eating great when compared to LA or other places. Not saying that they are disease free, as I qt DD fish too.

As far as competition, I've ordered from other WYSIWYG places and had good and bad experiences but overall, I prefer DD.

fifthtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:24 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
anyone have any idea what the percentages are on getting a healthy fish from LA, or from DD?

is it like 75% and 95%? or more like 50 and 95?
I can only tell you my own experience (over many shipments). I've yet to get an observably diseased fish from DD, and my overall success rate is 90% plus. Not so good with regular LA, though still better than 75% disease free. If I did not do a thorough QT myself, I'd have introduced two strains of ich, one strain of velvet, lots of flukes and most damaging of all uronema (though not all from LA). If you cannot or will not do a proper QT then so be it. Short of buying from a trusted local reefer, DD is your best bet if you're going to skip QT.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 06:58 AM   #19
oldhead
Registered Member

What is this divers den you speak of (yes I have heard of them but apparently it's just another mane for live aquaria). If you google divers den the whole first page is live aquaria.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 07:29 AM   #20
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

It's the BIG square box (second row left) that says Divers Den, WYSIWYG Store BROWSE>

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 07:30 AM   #21
mwrobers
Registered Member

Look for the Diver's Den WYSIWYG link on the Liveaquaria page. DD fish/inverts come fro their facility in Wisconsin. LA fish/inverts come from California. Plenty of information on their qt process on the site and there's a recent facility tour on here and youtube. DD is my best option and I've had no issues.

mwrobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 07:35 AM   #22
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
If i am looking to buy quarantined fish or invert, is my only option online Divers Den?
Divers Den "conditions" fish for 2 weeks before offering them for sale. Which means they make sure the fish is eating. You would still need to QT any fish you purchase from them, unless you like to take chances. Anything that comes from the LiveAquaria site, comes directly from Quality Marine.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote