Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2021, 08:56 PM   #1
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

Calling all engineers and carpenters

I have a question for you guys. I want to cut some of my stand out to make room for my sump. I have marked the parts I want to remove in yellow and I want to add supports marked in red (see pic). Do you think I would have any problems at all with this plan? I should also add the I will be reinforcing each corner as well with 2x4s. The red lines will be 2x4s as well.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

spsfreak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2021, 10:54 PM   #2
medic29
Premium Member

Unless you reinforce that front cross piece of wood, I think you are going to need that middle upright. You could remove it to get the sump in there, then reinstall the brace.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 20 gal display w/10 gal sump.
medic29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2021, 10:59 PM   #3
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic29 View Post
Unless you reinforce that front cross piece of wood, I think you are going to need that middle upright. You could remove it to get the sump in there, then reinstall the brace.

I can't put back the brace as the sump won't fit if it's there. I can add support to the part your talking too. This stand is made out of real wood if that matter at all. Only the walls are particle board. The way the stand sit now with no removing anything the 40b will not fit as it needs an additional 1.25" to fit perfectly. That's why I want to remove those pieces.

spsfreak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2021, 11:08 PM   #4
medic29
Premium Member

You might be able to get by if you placed a 2x6 all of the way across the front behind that front board and secured the two together. The reinforcement may not be needed due to the short span, but I prefer not to take any chances.

On a similar type of stand I built, I used metal angle to provide the lateral support to help prevent any sagging. It work out fine, no issues at all except it began to rust after a few years.

Current Tank Info: 20 gal display w/10 gal sump.
medic29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2021, 07:25 AM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

The 2x4 your placing behind the header or top cross piece can be reinforced with aluminum angle iron as well. If 2 pieces are sandwiched between the new structure and old structure wirh screws every 6" inches you'll get a very rigid header that's not going to sag over time and will be the same profile as what you have now.