Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2006, 03:35 PM   #76
Strykur
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies

Ybe, I dont have a skimmer on the small tank and the one in my 125 wont fit I Researched the nano reef tanks to death and everyone says you dont need a skimmer, but I forgot about the cycle part.

Howard my 125 does not and never has had ro/di water in it, always used tap water and always have been fighting algea, nothing crazy but I don t want to fight that stuff in my small reef tank, otherwise i would have just used water from it.

Got home today and tested it was over 1 again, changed 9g and tested and it is just under 1. I pulled all the rock out 1 by 1 and found a dead clam that still had body parts inside and was slightly stinky (ewww) I still have 3 live ones lol

I'll just keep changing and hope for the best.

Caught 1 stone crab and 1 gorilla while checking rock, also found 1 porcelain and gave him a break

P.S Just realized i am not in the "our tbs" thread......OOPS

Scott

Strykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2006, 09:15 PM   #77
ybenormal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Strykur
P.S Just realized i am not in the "our tbs" thread......OOPS

Scott
No problem since this is "our tbs thread" and we welcome visitors!

ybenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2006, 09:52 AM   #78
Tobman
Premium Member

Questions About Setup

RedSix, (or anyone else of course),

Few quick questions for you about using TBS:

At one point you said you had very little cycle, like almost no ammonia. Is that really true, or did the cycle just happen quickly? It has to happen some how.

Where did you get your sand to go with the live rock and at what point did you put it in relative to the LR. I like the coarse nature of the material, seems it would have a lot of places for critters to live and hide. Although I wonder if the coarser, more permeable nature of it would minimize it's ability to denitrify?

Did you find a source of information listing what species of fish and other life that live in the Florida reef biotype, where the LR comes from? I intend to attempt to mimic a reef zone in my tank, and think something local is best, like Florida, which is actually part of the Caribbean reef zone, I believe.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef
Tobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2006, 11:06 AM   #79
HowardW
Registered Member

<<< At one point you said you had very little cycle, like almost no ammonia. Is that really true, or did the cycle just happen quickly? It has to happen some how. >>>

I have always experienced a very mild cycle with TBS rock with free ammonia usually never exceeding .5 and the cycle completing and nitrate readings in about 8-14 days. The mild cycle is because the rock is shipped in water hence very little dieoff. I also use Seachem Stability every day for the first 10 days which I feel also really helps the cycle along.

<<< Where did you get your sand to go with the live rock and at what point did you put it in relative to the LR. I like the coarse nature of the material, seems it would have a lot of places for critters to live and hide. Although I wonder if the coarser, more permeable nature of it would minimize it's ability to denitrify? >>>

I have always used the Live Sand from TBS with their rock, and always put the sand in first. The coarse grade of the TBS sand does make an excellent habitat for all the critters that live in the sandbed like some burrowing snails, worms, starfish, etc. I've never worried about the ability of my sandbed for denitrification because I also use a fuge stuffed with macroalgae which keeps my nitrates at nearly zero all the time. The macroalgae that grows on the rock will also aid in reducing nitrates along with water changes. I know some people also use about 1/2 live sand and mix dry sand in with it when starting their tank.

Unread 10/26/2006, 04:41 PM   #80
jazz881
Registered Member

I have been reading the TBS website for sometime now and have finally decided to try this aquarium thing out for myself. I have purchased a 12 gallon Aquapod and can not wait to get it set up so I can place my order for the package!

jazz881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2006, 01:55 AM   #81
ybenormal
Registered Member

Tobman,

I set up a 29g tank with TBS LR, but the tank was added in a loop with an existing 55g SW FOWLR tank and about 35-40 gallons of sump. I had almost no elevated readings at all but I only added about 30# of TBS LR and a few pounds of TBS live sand. YMMV and I would expect a larger spike with more LR or in a newly established tank.

Unread 10/28/2006, 01:58 AM   #82
ybenormal
Registered Member

Jazz881,

Welcome to our addiction! If you are new to the hobby, you might want to consider at least a 30g tank, preferably a 55g or larger. Unlike other hobbies, smaller SW tanks are actually more touchy and more difficult to maintain than larger ones.

Unread 10/30/2006, 11:28 AM   #83
jazz881
Registered Member

I am sure with a little help from my friends and all of you here I will be succesful. I know to take it slow and be diligent. I really can't afford going bigger, spacially for financially.

Unread 11/01/2006, 09:12 PM   #84
luke865
Registered Member

Hey Red_Six,

I have a couple of questions:

1. I am curious what your TBS live rock looks like after it has been in your tank for a few months?

2. Did you have a choice of different types of live sand? You mentioned that you really liked the sand, but I am not sure if I would like the "coarse" sand look, do they have any "finer" sand?

Thanks

luke865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2006, 03:41 PM   #85
jazz881
Registered Member

I am going to pick up the first oart of the package tonight... I am quite excited.

Unread 11/06/2006, 11:10 PM   #86
ybenormal
Registered Member

Pics will be expected of course!

Unread 11/07/2006, 07:57 AM   #87
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke865
Hey Red_Six,

I have a couple of questions:

1. I am curious what your TBS live rock looks like after it has been in your tank for a few months?

2. Did you have a choice of different types of live sand? You mentioned that you really liked the sand, but I am not sure if I would like the "coarse" sand look, do they have any "finer" sand?

Thanks
I will answer a couple of your questions as I have had TBS in my tank for over two years now.

1. After a few months the rock looks GREAT!! You will have some sponge die-off but with proper maintence most things showuld survice. After two years I still have a considerable amount of the life oin the rock. The rock is not quite as colorful as it was two years ago but it still beats the pants off of any store bought or ordered "live" rock.

2. I do not think they have a choice of sands. The course sands looks good, with lots of color, you get used to it. I do admit, I do see tanks with the bleach white fine sand and I am envious from time to time. But they dont have the billions of critters I have living in my sand!

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 09:29 AM   #88
jazz881
Registered Member

I will throw some pics up today. In regards to the course sand, I put some fine sand down in my aquarium and put the course sand over the top. The way I figure it, when all my critters come I will get a good mix of course and fine and it should look great.

Unread 11/07/2006, 10:13 AM   #89
jazz881
Registered Member

My photography skills are a bit lacking, but here are some pics taken 3 days after the rock was added.

[IMG]Image Hosted by ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Unread 11/23/2006, 12:36 AM   #90
Red_Six
Registered Member

Sorry I have not made any updates or replies. I have been away from my tank since October 1st on business. I am coming home mid December. After I get things back in order I will post more pictures.

Red_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2006, 10:33 AM   #91
jazz881
Registered Member

I picked up and added part 2 of the package yesterday. Here are a few pics.

Unread 12/04/2006, 10:58 AM   #92
liverock
RC Sponsor

Nice tank!!

Hey now...
you did a really nice job aquascaping that little tank!

Good work!

Richard TBS

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2006, 11:11 AM   #93
jazz881
Registered Member

Why thank you very much. I must admit, it is easy to make a tank look good when the rock is so amazing!

Unread 12/05/2006, 08:52 PM   #94
jazz881
Registered Member

I saw a very small crab in my aquarium and am not sure what it is. It was too small to get a picture of, but the body was all black, the legs were white and black and the claws were white and black. Any ideas?

Unread 01/12/2007, 10:58 AM   #95
SW Madman
Registered Member

The package Part 1

Well getting part one of the package today. Unfortunately, I had a mishap on the prior one but the tank is all set now. Richard has been there every step of the way and has gone above and beyond all expectations with his help and understanding.

After reading all of Tampa's website and all of your postings I had to get a reef tank up and running. Unlike the dull LR in my 125g tank this stuff looks unbelieveable!!! I can't wait to get it all aquascaped so we can sit back and enjoy it.

Have a nice 90 gallon tank waiting to be converted into our own little reef!! Will keep all posted on the process and will also and pics next week!!

SW Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2007, 07:50 AM   #96
Amyandlars
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Wazoo
Red_Six

Your tank looks great--excellent pictures. You are an advertisement for TBS!!!
This thread completely convinced us to get the package. Orginally we were going just cycle the tank with no lights and get the lights later, but once we saw all the life that came on the rocks, we knew that we 'd have to have the lights. I wish I could say that we ordered the package, but we are still on the plumbing part. Maybe next month we'll be ready.

Amyandlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2007, 10:17 AM   #97
figuerres
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amyandlars
This thread completely convinced us to get the package. Orginally we were going just cycle the tank with no lights and get the lights later, but once we saw all the life that came on the rocks, we knew that we 'd have to have the lights. I wish I could say that we ordered the package, but we are still on the plumbing part. Maybe next month we'll be ready.
"Only Bad things happen fast" --

this hobby teaches us to slow down and think, plan and I think thats one of the benifits of it!

:-)

Current Tank Info: 150 reef tank underway, getting it stocked
figuerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2007, 12:51 PM   #98
SW Madman
Registered Member

Mantis

Any good suggestions on how to catch a stubborn Mantis? I have gotten two so far but I have one left that is really tough to catch. The old bottle trap didn't work for any of them.

I just found out that I'm going to receive part two on Friday!!! Can't wait for that. It's absolutely incredible to see something different every day in the tank. Whether it's a new hitch hiker or new plant. The strangest thing so far has been a white slug type animal that is 1" long 1/2" wide and as thin as a piece of paper!! I have no idea what it was but it was neat to see.

SW Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2007, 02:23 PM   #99
macawdad2003
Premium Member

I showed my wife this thread last night and she is hooked on the look of the TBS rock. I am in the process of setting up a 75G and can't wait to get rolling (waiting on lighting and filtration to arrive).

Anymore pics to drool over? Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Worried about getting any Mantis out of the tank... But I suppose I nead to learn how to deal with that kind of stuff if I want to be in this hobby.

Thanks again!

Matt

macawdad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2007, 04:22 PM   #100
dwculp
Registered Member

Have you seen my thread, click my red house to view it.

Dont worry about the mantis and other hitchhikers. They can be gotten out with time and if truth be told they are not overly destructive.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote