Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2007, 05:30 PM   #101
macawdad2003
Premium Member

Great looking reef there dwculp! Very nice job.

macawdad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2007, 11:19 AM   #102
SW Madman
Registered Member

Part II

Well got part two the other day and got it all aqua scaped in the tank. All I can say is UNBELEIVEABLE!!!! The life on the rocks is incredible!! Not to mention the critters that came with them! Then there's the actual critters Richard sent. I'm in the process of getting some pics that I can upload here to show all of you. All I can say is I feel like Jacques Cousteau every time I look at it!! We discover something new every time!! The Ammonia level is just about at 0 and all is good!! A few mantis shrimp click away all hours of the evening but I just haven't been lucky enough to find them, YET!!!

Thanks again Richard, you went above and beyond on your shipments to me. I can't wait to find a spot in the house for a 195 galon reef tank!!!

SW Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2007, 11:29 AM   #103
liverock
RC Sponsor

Re: Part II

Quote:
Originally posted by SW Madman
Well got part two the other day and got it all aqua scaped in the tank. All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The life on the rocks is incredible!! Not to mention the critters that came with them! Then there's the actual critters Richard sent. I'm in the process of getting some pics that I can upload here to show all of you. All I can say is I feel like Jacques Cousteau every time I look at it!! We discover something new every time!! The Ammonia level is just about at 0 and all is good!! A few mantis shrimp click away all hours of the evening but I just haven't been lucky enough to find them, YET!!!

Thanks again Richard, you went above and beyond on your shipments to me. I can't wait to find a spot in the house for a 195 gallon reef tank!!!
I am glad it all worked out for you after your initial disaster!
But with your understanding and vigilance you pulled it of spectacularly!
As I told your hubby, I do not let my customers fail!!

PS..some of the clicking may be pistol shrimp, which look like baby Maine lobsters, and are really good guys for your tank!

Thanks and enjoy!
Richard TBS

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 12:33 AM   #104
figuerres
Registered Member

Re: Re: Part II

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
I am glad it all worked out for you after your initial disaster!
But with your understanding and vigilance you pulled it of spectacularly!
As I told your hubby, I do not let my customers fail!!

PS..some of the clicking may be pistol shrimp, which look like baby Maine lobsters, and are really good guys for your tank!

Thanks and enjoy!
Richard TBS
Clicking ?

Heck my pistol sounds like a kids cap gun!
BANG! BANG!

as far as I can tell he's still small, only found him one time during a move....

when I moved from the 55 to the 90 over x-mass he hid in the rocks and I never saw him....

but he's there....
BANG! BANG!

:-)

Current Tank Info: 150 reef tank underway, getting it stocked
figuerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 06:11 PM   #105
Avalanche1201
Registered Member

man.,..after reading this thread I think im gonna be ordering myself "the package" for my 24 AP. It looks REAL nice. I got some Nice LR from a LFS w/ lots of coraline algea but no life at all....this stuff is AMAZING!

but...is there a way to get it shipped to my house? instead of having to drive to an airport to get it?

edit: just saw it can come to your door...but what is cheaper and safer? delivery or plane?

Avalanche1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 06:31 PM   #106
HowardW
Registered Member

I would recommend having it shipped to your nearest airport for pickup, you get it in a matter of hours that way and it's also much cheaper.

Unread 01/25/2007, 06:58 PM   #107
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
I would recommend having it shipped to your nearest airport for pickup, you get it in a matter of hours that way and it's also much cheaper.
I agree, driving to an airport is well worth it. Richard takes it out of his tanks, packs it in water, puts it on a plane and a couple of hours later it is in your tank with almost no die off.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 11:30 PM   #108
Avalanche1201
Registered Member

sounding real good...cant wait to get a job for the summer and save up for the package....is it hard to get from the airport? or do you get directions on where to go for pickup?

Unread 01/26/2007, 08:02 AM   #109
figuerres
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Avalanche1201
sounding real good...cant wait to get a job for the summer and save up for the package....is it hard to get from the airport? or do you get directions on where to go for pickup?
not hard, there is a "cargo terminal" for stuff like this, the airline that ships the package will tell you where at the local airport it is.

when UPS/FedEx get packages they do that and then put them on trucks that then take them to a sort facility that then unloads the boxes and then puts them on trucks that then drive them out to customers....

in that process sometimes things get misplaced and held till they figure out where it goes....

with direct air you by-pass 90% of that.

thus why TBS perfers it... so your live rocks and critters don't sit somehwere for hours in to much heat or cold.

Unread 01/26/2007, 08:19 AM   #110
Avalanche1201
Registered Member

sounds real easy wish it was summer now so i could order myself a package.

waiting is the hardest part

Unread 01/28/2007, 01:32 PM   #111
sytanek
Registered Member

Just purchases a 55 Gallon and in the process of getting all required parts installed, and saving to purchase the package. My one question is the price listed on the website, it appears that price includes shipping, since I live only a couple hours away, I would definately prefer to pick it up myself. Is it any cheaper? Just trying to find out how much Im going to need before I order. Thanks!!

Current Tank Info: 92g Corner!
sytanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2007, 07:00 PM   #112
dwculp
Registered Member

I dont believe the price includes shipping as you pay for the shipping at the cargo terminal when you pick it up.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2007, 12:27 AM   #113
ybenormal
Registered Member

No, the website pricing does not include shipping. You should probably figure in a few bucks extra for boxes if you do local pickup but you would avoid the airline cargo fees.

ybenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2007, 08:53 PM   #114
sgallagher7
Registered Member

Im interested in mixing TBS with some Kalelini rock for my new 75. Would the TBS make a good base, and if so, would there be a good migration of sponges, featherdusters, etc to the Kaelini?

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mix reef, 20 Gal sump. Euroreef 80 Skimmer, Reefbreeder photon 48 LEDS, Gyre 150 powerhead, Auto Topoff
sgallagher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2007, 11:38 AM   #115
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

Im happy to see TBS is still doing well, and have gotten over that incredible slump last year with the bad weather.

I am going to order 75lbs of LS in the next couple of days, TBS is great

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2007, 11:41 AM   #116
buus
Premium Member

Live Sand

Too bad you're not in the Denver area. I have 70lbs of extra TBS live sand sitting here! Any Denver area folks need some?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rjukan
Im happy to see TBS is still doing well, and have gotten over that incredible slump last year with the bad weather.

I am going to order 75lbs of LS in the next couple of days, TBS is great

buus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 04:33 PM   #117
jcwedit
Premium Member

Hey everyone,
I pick up my first shipment of "the package" tomorrow from Newark Airport. I'll let you guys know how it goes and post pictures. Can't wait to get it in the tank and see what hitchhikers came along for the ride.

jcwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 09:57 PM   #118
GregK
Registered Member

New to saltwater aquariums

Hi everyone.
I've been into freshwater aquariums for many years and am ready to move up to saltwater. I've been visiting TB Saltwater's website for quite awhile reading testimonials and checking out the pictures customers would post there.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to try my hand at my first reef aquarium. I emailed Richard at TB Saltwater with a couple of questions, and he suggested I come here and pose them. So here they are:

1) I'm seriously considering getting one of two Aqua Pod 24 gallon models. The only difference, as far as I know, between the two models is the lighting package. One comes with something they call a sun pod that is basically a metal halide system with day and night lights built into it. The other model has a compact flourescent lighting system. If you are interested, you can read more in depth descriptions of them here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...6&N=2004+62760

The system with the flourescent lighting costs $170 and the system with the metal halide lighting costs $330. My question basically boils down to: Is the metal halide system worth the extra cost or will the other system perform similarly?

2) Does anyone here have experience with either of those Aqua Pod systems? Should I look for a different manufacturer/model?

3) Once I get my aquarium, I am definitely planning on ordering the "package" from TB Saltwater. Does it perform well with this small of an aquarium?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

GregK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 10:43 PM   #119
figuerres
Registered Member

Re: New to saltwater aquariums

Quote:
Originally posted by GregK
Hi everyone.
I've been into freshwater aquariums for many years and am ready to move up to saltwater. I've been visiting TB Saltwater's website for quite awhile reading testimonials and checking out the pictures customers would post there.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to try my hand at my first reef aquarium. I emailed Richard at TB Saltwater with a couple of questions, and he suggested I come here and pose them. So here they are:

1) I'm seriously considering getting one of two Aqua Pod 24 gallon models. The only difference, as far as I know, between the two models is the lighting package. One comes with something they call a sun pod that is basically a metal halide system with day and night lights built into it. The other model has a compact flourescent lighting system. If you are interested, you can read more in depth descriptions of them here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...6&N=2004+62760

The system with the flourescent lighting costs $170 and the system with the metal halide lighting costs $330. My question basically boils down to: Is the metal halide system worth the extra cost or will the other system perform similarly?

2) Does anyone here have experience with either of those Aqua Pod systems? Should I look for a different manufacturer/model?

3) Once I get my aquarium, I am definitely planning on ordering the "package" from TB Saltwater. Does it perform well with this small of an aquarium?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.
well a few things:

I think some of the threads here are from folks with small tanks just like the "pod" -- look around and see what they say.

what do you want in the reef?

in general most stuff will do ok with power compact lights.
the metal halide are needed form some hard corals and clams.

I tend to go with the "bigger tanks are better" camp but that's me

just do some reading -- I'm sure some good threads right here are from your small tanks...

Unread 02/11/2007, 10:45 AM   #120
GregK
Registered Member

Re: Re: New to saltwater aquariums

Quote:
Originally posted by figuerres
well a few things:

I think some of the threads here are from folks with small tanks just like the "pod" -- look around and see what they say.

what do you want in the reef?

in general most stuff will do ok with power compact lights.
the metal halide are needed form some hard corals and clams.

I tend to go with the "bigger tanks are better" camp but that's me

just do some reading -- I'm sure some good threads right here are from your small tanks...
Thanks for the reply. I'm also of the bigger tanks are better group. The problem is that my wife and I are going to be moving to another house in a year or two, and I just don't want to go through the nightmare of trying to move a large saltwater tank. So, until the move I'll have to satisfy myself with a small tank. Once the move is over though look out!

I've been reading through some of the other messages on the forum. It seems that most people have better overall results with metal halide lights than with the power compact lights, so I'm leaning more and more in that direction.

The Aqua Pod aquarium says it comes with a pump and skimmer, but no mention of a powerhead. Is a powerhead needed for this size of an aquarium. Most stuff I've been reading generally says that the more movement you have in a reef aquarium the better.

Unread 02/11/2007, 02:02 PM   #121
Amyandlars
Registered Member

If your going to have corals your going to need a powerhead. Depending on what corals you want is once again going to determine what kind and how many powerhead your going to need. With FW your goal cycle rate is 10x, with SW it's going to 15x plus, once again when you decide what you want then that will tell you more what kind of set up you need.

Amyandlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2007, 05:31 PM   #122
GregK
Registered Member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before diving in.

In terms of lighting and its affect on what corals I should get, are there some general guidelines? For example, if I have metal halide lighting, does that mean that hard corals will generally do better than soft corals or vice versa? Or does the difference fall somewhere else?

I've also been reading that nano reef aquariums should try to avoid corals with longer tentacles such as the elegance coral. The size of the aquarium I'm planning on is 24 gallons. Are there other specific corals (or families of corals) that I should avoid?

Unread 02/11/2007, 07:55 PM   #123
jcwedit
Premium Member

Picked up the first shipment of "the package" yesterday. One of the boxes had sprung a leak, but not bad and i was able to make it home with the rocks still underwater.
The hardest part about getting rock from TBS is rockscaping, almost every side of the rock i recieved had something amazing on it. I was able to catch 2 gorrila crabs before they could find a home. Spotted another one deep in a hole that should be fun to catch. THere is some much stuff on these rocks i cant even list it, so ill post pictures tomorow.
I had a small spike in levels this morning, so i have done 2 water changes and all seems good, got the RO working overtime. So glad i found this forum and ordered from Richard, i almost spent the same money on rock from my LFS that what total bare.

Unread 02/11/2007, 07:55 PM   #124
jcwedit
Premium Member

Picked up the first shipment of "the package" yesterday. One of the boxes had sprung a leak, but not bad and i was able to make it home with the rocks still underwater.
The hardest part about getting rock from TBS is rockscaping, almost every side of the rock i recieved had something amazing on it. I was able to catch 2 gorrila crabs before they could find a home. Spotted another one deep in a hole that should be fun to catch. THere is some much stuff on these rocks i cant even list it, so ill post pictures tomorow.
I had a small spike in levels this morning, so i have done 2 water changes and all seems good, got the RO working overtime. So glad i found this forum and ordered from Richard, i almost spent the same money on rock from my LFS that what totaly bare.

Unread 02/11/2007, 08:56 PM   #125
Red_Six
Registered Member

I had a birth today in my tank. It is either pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp or mantis shrimp. I have several hundred of them swimming around and the fish are just loving it. There are quite a few survivors in my fuge so perhaps I will find out what they are. This is the second time this has happened although the first time I know that it was a pregnant gorilla crab that dropped the bomb.

Red_Six is offline   Reply With Quote