Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2016, 03:22 PM   #126
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Good grief!! That is a LOT of skimmate! You must have had a lot of DOC's in your water. How long have you been running that skimmer?
4 years but not that specific one. I had the one with the older pump and then last year or the year before they were on sale along with 80 watt red dragon pumps on premium aquatics so I got the newer one and sold the old skimmer. The skimmer is pulling crazy ski mate these last 2 weeks because I started using aqua forest products. It's probably the zeolites that are doing that.

Unread 12/17/2016, 11:51 AM   #127
Ouscazz
Registered Member

Started up my new (first) Bubble King 24 hrs ago.

Ouscazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 03:23 PM   #128
phk36
Registered Member

Best skimmer I have ever had SM 250

Current Tank Info: 204 mixed Two Radion pro 3 one Kessil 360 Bubble King Supermarin 250 Apex 114 watt UV
phk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 03:25 PM   #129
phk36
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 204 mixed Two Radion pro 3 one Kessil 360 Bubble King Supermarin 250 Apex 114 watt UV
Unread 12/19/2016, 04:59 PM   #130
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
Nice! Is that running with the RD3 or the standard Red Dragon? If RD3, what setting/wattage?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 03:24 PM   #131
smokinreefer
Premium Member

Hey,

Looking to get a bubble king for a 300g I'll be setting up.
It will be sps dominant, with a heavy fish load.

There's a BK200 available locally, but I think it's a mini, will this be good for my tank needs.
It has the red dragon pump.

Thanks for your input!

smokinreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 04:30 PM   #132
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
Hey,

Looking to get a bubble king for a 300g I'll be setting up.
It will be sps dominant, with a heavy fish load.

There's a BK200 available locally, but I think it's a mini, will this be good for my tank needs.
It has the red dragon pump.

Thanks for your input!
Is the display 300 gallons or is that the total system volume. You say heavy fish load but a heavy fish load is around 1/2" per gallon or about 150" worth of fish in a 300 gallon display. If you are truly planning on having a "heavy" fish load, the the Mini Bubble King 200 is going to be marginal in terms of size. I'd suggest a Double Cone 250, Deluxe 200 or Supermarin 200 if that is the case but you could get away with the 200 though not ideal. If you load will be a lot lower than that or if your display size is closer to 250 gallons then the Mini 200 would be fine. They are great skimmers though. Especially when coupled with the RD3.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/22/2016, 06:33 PM   #133
smokinreefer
Premium Member

Thanks for your input.

It's a 300 dispkay plus sump.
Planning on a handful of tangs 4-6
hopefully one or 2 angels (emperor)
A few dwarf angels.
A bunch of anthias.
And some misc smaller fish, clowns, cardinals, etc

smokinreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 07:41 PM   #134
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
Thanks for your input.

It's a 300 dispkay plus sump.
Planning on a handful of tangs 4-6
hopefully one or 2 angels (emperor)
A few dwarf angels.
A bunch of anthias.
And some misc smaller fish, clowns, cardinals, etc
Sounds like your load will be relatively moderate and not heavy given the display size. In that case, I think the Mini 200 would be a good skimmer for your setup. I prefer skimmers with the pump external to the body when given the choice but if the price is good, that is an amazing skimmer that will kick some serious butt and is by far the best small footprint skimmer money can buy.

Unread 01/07/2017, 04:40 PM   #135
Tayl
Registered Member

Hi guys
Im looking at Purchasing Either a BK Supermarin200 or a BK DC 200 for a 225g SPS dominated tank with a med bio load (15 fish) so far. Tank is still in design stage Just looking for Opinions from the people that have them. Heard they are conservtive with the ratings of these Skimmers

Cheers

Rob

Tayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 11:14 PM   #136
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayl View Post
Hi guys
Im looking at Purchasing Either a BK Supermarin200 or a BK DC 200 for a 225g SPS dominated tank with a med bio load (15 fish) so far. Tank is still in design stage Just looking for Opinions from the people that have them. Heard they are conservtive with the ratings of these Skimmers

Cheers

Rob
The ratings are definitely conservative and I woudn't suggest oversizing the skimmer if you want the best consistency. If you chose the SM200, you would want a truly heavy load for best performance. Heaving meaning upwards of 1/2" of fish per gallon of display volume. A Double Cone 200 would be very well suited though with a meadium load. If you are planning on a much heavier load than you currently have and are going to be adding larger fish, then SM200 would work well too.

Unread 01/08/2017, 04:01 AM   #137
Tayl
Registered Member

Quote:
The ratings are definitely conservative and I woudn't suggest oversizing the skimmer if you want the best consistency. If you chose the SM200, you would want a truly heavy load for best performance. Heaving meaning upwards of 1/2" of fish per gallon of display volume. A Double Cone 200 would be very well suited though with a meadium load. If you are planning on a much heavier load than you currently have and are going to be adding larger fish, then SM200 would work well too.
Hi Slief
Thanks for the reply mate after reading abit more I noticed that you only calculate DT volume only so if that is true then the DT is 180g sorry should have read up abit more on that . Would the Double Cone 200 still be ok with med fish stocking?

Cheers

Rob

Unread 01/08/2017, 11:25 AM   #138
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Slief
Thanks for the reply mate after reading abit more I noticed that you only calculate DT volume only so if that is true then the DT is 180g sorry should have read up abit more on that . Would the Double Cone 200 still be ok with med fish stocking?

Cheers

Rob
Yes. The Double Cone 200 would still be just fine. We go based on display volume because that is where the load is concentrated and created. Our sumps and refugiums decrease the load instead of contributing towards it. Since Bubble King skimmers are already conservatively rated, that is the best method for sizing a BK to an aquarium.

Unread 01/10/2017, 01:00 AM   #139
Tayl
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes. The Double Cone 200 would still be just fine. We go based on display volume because that is where the load is concentrated and created. Our sumps and refugiums decrease the load instead of contributing towards it. Since Bubble King skimmers are already conservatively rated, that is the best method for sizing a BK to an aquarium.
Thanks mate for help

Cheers rob

Unread 01/10/2017, 03:54 PM   #140
biecacka
Registered Member

The double cone is a great skimmer!!! I run it on my 240 gallon tank with 30 fish in it and I'm adding 20 more fish probably. I'll then up my feedings to 4-6 times a day plus a whole sheet of nori. I too looked at the SM 200 and was told it was too big for my future plans. You won't regret the dc200!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 06:18 PM   #141
Maximus
Registered Member

After 20+ years in reefing, owning just about every skimmer out there (ATB, H&S, Euroreef, Vertex etc.) I finally ordered a BK Mini 180!! I just hope my tank comes soon!!

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 01:38 AM   #142
Ouscazz
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi guys

Cheers

Rob

I have a SM200 RD3 running in my 93gal SPS tank with 15 fish and two large anemones. I was told it would not work well, but in fact, it is.

Delivered with an iPhone via Tapatalk

Ouscazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 10:18 AM   #143
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouscazz View Post
I have a SM200 RD3 running in my 93gal SPS tank with 15 fish and two large anemones. I was told it would not work well, but in fact, it is.

Delivered with an iPhone via Tapatalk
It will work. we simply don't recommend it because a properly sized Bubble King will always perform better than an over sized one. An over sized skimmer isn't as consistent as a properly sized one unless you have a silly amount of dissolved organics. What ends up happening is that the amount of dissolved organics in the system will rise and fall as the skimmer will only really produce when there are enough DOC's in the water for the skimmer to be able to fill the neck completely with foam. Once the DOC's are reduce, the skimmer will slow down for a couple days or more during which time the DOC's in the water will build back up. Instead of maintaining consistently low levels of DOC's in the system, they will rise and fall and rise and fall. If you run the skimmer really wet, this can help because the water level in the skimmer is higher in the neck which reduces the amount of volume in the neck and thus reduces the skimmers need for as much foam to fill the neck. The whole principle of foam fractioning in a skimmer is based on the proteins/dissolved organics/DOC's being present so that the bubbles can stick together and become foam. In the absence of DOC's, you get bubbles that burst at the surface. If the skimmer is properly sized, it will always be working consistently hard and it will keep the nutrients consistently lower in the tank.In time, you might see what I am talking about if you find yourself wanting to or needed to make regular adjustments because it isn't producing skimmate like you feel it should be.

Unread 01/17/2017, 04:57 PM   #144
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

I love my 180 mini. For those of you running them, where can I buy a self cleaning head??

Unread 01/17/2017, 05:29 PM   #145
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownReef® View Post
I love my 180 mini. For those of you running them, where can I buy a self cleaning head??
You can get one here. If you click on the description, there is a video in there showing it's construction and how it works. It's made in Germany and designed for that skimmer. The lid is PVC just like the one on your skimmer. You will not find a better self cleaning head anywhere. They have a dual wiper system that wipes the neck, lid and lid ring and use a high speed gear driven motor. They also draw water up from inside the skimmer body and squirt it on the inside of the neck and lid for a wet scrubbing. The underside of the lid where the wiper attaches is Cone shaped and actually improves skimmer performance by pushing the foam outwards towards the top edge of the neck.
I run mine once a day for 15 seconds and my neck is always clean.

Unread 01/17/2017, 06:16 PM   #146
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Quote:
You can get one here. If you click on the description, there is a video in there showing it's construction and how it works. It's made in Germany and designed for that skimmer. The lid is PVC just like the one on your skimmer. You will not find a better self cleaning head anywhere. They have a dual wiper system that wipes the neck, lid and lid ring and use a high speed gear driven motor. They also draw water up from inside the skimmer body and squirt it on the inside of the neck and lid for a wet scrubbing. The underside of the lid where the wiper attaches is Cone shaped and actually improves skimmer performance by pushing the foam outwards towards the top edge of the neck.
I run mine once a day for 15 seconds and my neck is always clean.
Thank you!!!

Unread 01/29/2017, 08:33 PM   #147
phk36
Registered Member

Hey Scott, It is the standard pump. Sorry I did not answer sooner. Best skimmer I have ever used . I have a lot of fish and a large eel.

Unread 03/20/2017, 01:07 PM   #148
aplatn13
Registered Member

:drool:

aplatn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 09:09 PM   #149
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Lastly, should you decide to use ozone, be sure to use lignite carbon. That is the most effective carbon for removing residual ozone.
Scott,

I've trying to understand why lignite carbon is the most effective carbon for removing residual ozone. BRS says that their lignite carbon is soft and dusty, which I want to avoid. What's the science that makes lignite the most effective and are we splitting hairs here or is there a mountain of difference? I'm considering the BRS ROX for use in the air reactor that burns off residual ozone before releasing it back.

Also, does carbon ever have to be replaced when used in an ozone reactor? I would think not but if anyone would know, that would be you.

Thanks!
Chris

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:29 PM   #150
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Scott,

I've trying to understand why lignite carbon is the most effective carbon for removing residual ozone. BRS says that their lignite carbon is soft and dusty, which I want to avoid. What's the science that makes lignite the most effective and are we splitting hairs here or is there a mountain of difference? I'm considering the BRS ROX for use in the air reactor that burns off residual ozone before releasing it back.

Also, does carbon ever have to be replaced when used in an ozone reactor? I would think not but if anyone would know, that would be you.

Thanks!
Chris
I’ve used ozone on and off for over 20 years. There was an article I read many years back that discussed it but one of the reasons is that Lignite carbon is more porous and has a greater surface area as a result. This is why BRS indicated that is softer. It’s porous nature makes it that way. The greater surface area and porous nature of lignite make it very efficient at removing excess O3. It’s also lower in phosphates than other carbons. There were other reasons as well but I honestly don’t remember that. I always rinse my carbon and when I ran my ozone reactor, that was no exception. You don’t run high flow through the ozone reactor so carbon dust should never be an issue. Lignite carbon is also inexpensive and since you use a pretty fair amount of it in the reactor, that is a good thing. And yes, I changed my ozone reactor carbon about once a month. Since ozone oxidizes organics, the carbon catches some of that and I would venture to guess that the ozone also has an impact on the effectiveness of the carbon over time.