Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

Green Toadstool turned white?

Got a green Toadstool from my guy, was bright green when we got it and when we got it in our tank. As polyps began extending, it turned white. I had it in the middle of the tank, then moved it to he sand bed. It turned back to green when the polyps went in (from me moving it) and then turned back to white...

Any ideas? Polyps fully extended within 2 hours in my tank, my hammer (had about 3 weeks) and my orange octospawn (got with the Toadstool) both look great as well.

75 gallon tank, ~90lbs live rock, 40gal sump with sand bed and chaeto

Octopus hob 2000 in sump, brs dual carbon/gfo reactor, 3 misc power heads

Calcium 400
Salinity 1.0255
All 8
Mag 1130
pH steadily 8-8.15
Temp varies from 77.6-78.5

Using 4 bulb t5 fixture
1acitinic, 2 whites 1 ati blue

Current orbit LED strip light

The pic of it on the sand bed is after I moved it. It now looks the exact same as up in the middle (white with all polyps extended) I just forgot to take a picture

The last pic is the octospawn I got at the same time. My hammer is on the left half of the tank, had the toad in the center and octo on the right.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

Reef of Fillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 10:39 AM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Lighting can sometimes make a coral change colors. It happens to zoanthids all the time. What kind of lighting did your guy have over his tank?

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Lighting can sometimes make a coral change colors. It happens to zoanthids all the time. What kind of lighting did your guy have over his tank?
He had LED's around 2 feet off the top of the tank, probably 3-4' above the corals

Unread 05/08/2017, 02:59 PM   #4
jayball
Registered Member

leathers often look different with polyps in or out. I have a "green" Sinularia leather that is bright green when closed and teal when the polyps are out.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

My polyps and base turns white when extended, I thought that the base would keep a green color. Is it likely that the polyps will stay all white, or might they develop some color? My water quality is quite good and it extended very shortly after getting it in my tank, so aside from the lighting I don't know of any reason that it would have changed so dramatically

Unread 05/27/2017, 06:23 PM   #6
OoNickoC
Curator of glass boxes

Edit: This should go in the " Soft Coral" section, not here. That edited and said....It is expanding to get more light which spaces out the pigments and washes out the colors you perceive as bright green, when it contracts the green is visible as the pigment cells are smashed closer together. Your lights are running about 10k, maybe even warmer. Bring your blues to max if you want that bright green, though you have orbits...many many tiny leds vs a smaller cluster of powerful leds on more functional fixtures. Also your tank looks very new, judging by the bright white rocks, I would let the tank mature without any changes for about two months.

The methodologies for reef keeping are vast in numbers, in turn a lack of exploration is a disservice to one's self.

Current Tank Info: She is small but mighty
OoNickoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 04:34 AM   #7
MichaelValdez
Registered Member

I had a neon toadie do the same thing.I moved it to another tank and it perked right up. You might try moving it to a different location in the tank, perhaps whatever is right next to it at that bleached tip is bothering It. I am pretty sure the coral next to the toadstool is stinging it.

MichaelValdez is offline   Reply With Quote