Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Soluent1
Registered Member

Used chemi clean.

I have a bad cyano bacteria problem. I eventually used chemi clean last Thursday on my 150 gallon tank. Changed out 15 gallons Saturday and 25 gallons on Tuesday. My treasured magnifica is now bleached out as are four RBTAs. Strangely, two RTBAs are fine. Am running lots of carbon and gfo. Have changed out filter sock. Skimmer is collecting greenish yellow scrummate, pretty light colored. Any thoughts/suggestions, especially in salvaging my anemones?

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 12:21 AM   #2
EzReefs
Registered Member

Did you check to see if you had a big ph swing after dosing? That might be the case.

EzReefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Soluent1
Registered Member

No, I did not check. I did run two aerators. I left my skimmer on without the cup. I run lights at night in the sump. I ran all my numbers yesterday and they were spot on except for nitrates at 20. I made up some new saltwater last night and will change out more today.

Unread 06/25/2017, 12:46 PM   #4
drtrash
Registered Member

When you say bleached is that white or browned? Did same thing with chemicals and mine went brown. Been 2-3 months

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 12:53 PM   #5
hotelbravo
Registered Member

I've used chemiclean in my 180 with 10+ BTAs, and a few carpets with no ill effects to them... I don't know whats different from your scenario and my scenario.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Soluent1
Registered Member

My mag is white. My rbtas are pretty white also. At least the affected ones. Am preparing to do another 25 gallon water change again today.

Thank you for the responses. My anemones are my very favorite aquarium inhabitants.

I will probably change out the carbon again today.

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:16 PM   #7
Lance M.
Registered Member

It could be you "cleaned" the water too much too quickly, allowing for more light penetration, bleaching the anemones.

Should recover over time if everything is stable. May want to do some slight feeding until they recover depending on how bleached.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Swayze27
Registered Member

Have you reached out to the makers of chemi clean to see if they can offer an explanation or advice?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Soluent1
Registered Member

Thank you Lance and Swayze for the suggestions. I did think I was pretty conservative in the amount I used. I have a 150 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I figured about 35 gallons of water in the sump minus the rock, I came up with 140 gallons of water and that is what I treated for. I am hand feeding all my anemones once a week but I will boost it up to twice a week.

I will try to contact the chemi clean people and see if they have suggestions.

Unread 07/05/2017, 07:48 PM   #10
Soluent1
Registered Member

I did reach out to the chemi clean people. They have a form to fill out but on the phone, they appeared quite puzzled. I do not think they are going to be of any help.

Who has experience with anemones regaining their color? I dare not believe it true, but the tips of my magnifica seem to be yellow with a faint dot at the very end. This is definitely a change. Is this what mags look like when they begin to regain their color?

Unread 07/05/2017, 09:45 PM   #11
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
I did reach out to the chemi clean people. They have a form to fill out but on the phone, they appeared quite puzzled. I do not think they are going to be of any help.

Who has experience with anemones regaining their color? I dare not believe it true, but the tips of my magnifica seem to be yellow with a faint dot at the very end. This is definitely a change. Is this what mags look like when they begin to regain their color?
I have never kept a mag or plan to in the near future. I've only ever had bta's and lta's, currently have 4 different bta's. From a lta in the past, it was bleached and went from a yellowish to tan color (possibly what you are describing) to green after about 6 months.

Some pictures may be helpful. There seem to be a number of experienced mag owners who frequent this forum and should be able to help out.

Unread 07/05/2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Lance M.
Registered Member

Take a look at this thread-

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2624067

Second page, post #34, appears to be what you are describing.