Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2007, 05:29 PM   #1
kenny77
Registered Member

Talking 5 Gallon Hexagonal Pico Reef [LOTS OF PICS]

After a long time out of reef central I come back with my 5 Gallon Hexagonal Pico Reef.

This tank was mounted on July 8. It was a Birthday Present. I used water from existing tank.

Equipment

Resun 100 Submergible Pump 500l/H 132G/H aprox
Mini Compact Bulb 20w
Resun Nano Skimmer( this little men really works!)

This tank has about 4# of LR with corals like yellow porites and some horn like sps sp? and enough sand to cover the bottom.

Tank inhabitant:

Ocellaris Clown Fish (w/a beautiful miss bar)
Beau Gregory Damsel
Spotted Cleaner Shrimp
Black Urchin
Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Nassarius Snail
Condy Anemone
Feather duster

Assorted Ricordea
Zoanthias (assorted colors)
purple gorgoinia
Brain Coral (brown/blue)
Some kind of star polyp. (not a xenia) ID please. The coral in the front right, kind of pink with purple base

In this tank I have experience how zoanthias grow way to fast. I started with 4 little rock now the zoa are all over the LR growing everywere!

Comments, question, critics, welcome! Enjoy

How everything started

4 Month later

From top

Another from the top

Another from the top. ( I like this kind of pic)

Again

Front view

Ricordea Close up

without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny

Current Tank Info: 24g nano. 60 cube in progress
kenny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 05:35 PM   #2
chillaxe123
Registered Member

what are you using for ligting

chillaxe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 05:36 PM   #3
chillaxe123
Registered Member

oh never mind i see it now

chillaxe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 05:38 PM   #4
kenny77
Registered Member

20 watts mini compact fluorescent 50% 10,000k-50% actinic. I started with 10w but it wasn't enough.

Kenny

Unread 11/01/2007, 05:51 PM   #5
zack85
Registered Member

I like the polyps on bottom

zack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 10:16 PM   #6
kenny77
Registered Member

somebody else?

Kenny

Unread 11/02/2007, 11:37 PM   #7
kenny77
Registered Member

Here is my next project with this tank. most of the zoanthias are going out to a 18g fuge tank. making space for a metallic green hammer coral and pom pom xenia. also I’m taking out one of the rock, got another one that fit best and will look better on the right side of the tank.

Also I got a 18g tub from Kmart which is what I’m using as a fuge going to use for a refugium. Already got everything in the refugium.

15# Live rock
20# Live Sand
Mangrove (3)
Halimeda
Kelp
Caulerpa
Manatee Grass
2 feather duster

The fuge is already in place. All I need is to drill the 5g tank which is easy. It is made of plastic. This way I pretend to make the tank look nicer and clean, without any pump inside it. I considering doing a close loop.

Also the light I’m going to take the hood out and I’ll build a hanging canopy were I’m it will have the 20w Mini Compact, 10W Mini Compact and 2 moon light.

Why the 20w an the 10w bulb. Well the 10w will turn on first for 1.5 hour then the 20w for 6 hours and 1.5hour later the 10w will turn off and the moon light will turn on.

Since I’m going to have the 2 light on for 6 hour I’m going to need a chiller which should be on the way.

Here is a diagram how the tank will look like after hooking it up with the fuge in my bedroom.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 02:21 PM   #8
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

I would add another bulb on there. Those polyps look like there really fighting for light.

-Chris-

AVALover5498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 02:24 PM   #9
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

Also, that tank is way to small for a clown. I would get him out of there immediatly. It's kind of cruel.

-Chris-

Unread 11/03/2007, 03:12 PM   #10
kenny77
Registered Member

there is no specific rule to keep a fish nano. yes it have to be a small fish but the most important fact is that they feel comfortable and that there is no fight. having a damsel and a clown with out fight is not easy. the damsel prefer the rocks and the bottom and the clown swims all over the tank.

the bulb is a 20w that mean 4w per gallon. and I'm adding the 10w bulb again. the polyps look extended because that picture was taken when I only had the 10w bulb. also 2 colony of the zoanthias came already like that. and if you look them in the wild. at least does one are just like that.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 03:16 PM   #11
zma21
Registered Member

Please remove the clown. It is ridiculous having it cramped in that small of a tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 High -> 40 Cube -> Nanocube 12 DX -> 25 Gallon Rimless -> 10 Gallon AGA Temporary Tank -> JBJ 24 LED -> SCA Starfire 50 Cube
zma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 03:28 PM   #12
MikePowell
Moved On

whats wrong with keeping him in that tank, as long as it's happy and not showing signs fo stress, why should he not be in there? i would add more light though.

MikePowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 03:55 PM   #13
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

Ok, this is making me really mad. There is not justification for keeping a clown in a tank that small. How would you feel if you had to sit in your room not being able to leave for your whole life. It is exactly like that and you can not say anything different about it.

You have no idea how the fish feels so I don't want to hear that it is "happy" because is shows no signs of stress. This is horrible on your part, and you should feel like crap because of it.

-Chis-

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:00 PM   #14
kenny77
Registered Member

zma21 let me guess. 2 gold stripe Maroon Clownfish,
1 purple pseudochromis, 2 green chromis, 1 mandarin.
first you now how big maroon grown? 6 inches. not 3 like an ocellaris. what abuot the pseudochromis. another aggressive fish with 2 more aggressive fish?
2 green chromis. 3 inches each. they love to swim in open spaces. which neither of your tank will have even if they are empty. and 1 mandarin. you buy live copepods every 2 week right. or at least have a 20g fuge with more LR and a lot of chaeto were they like to live.
you should throw rock at me when you house ceiling is made out of glass

have you seen clown fish were they live in the wild. and they don't come out of there for nothing?

as long as you create an environment were they feel comfortable. that should be ok.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:08 PM   #15
kenny77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AVALover5498
Ok, this is making me really mad. There is not justification for keeping a clown in a tank that small. How would you feel if you had to sit in your room not being able to leave for your whole life. It is exactly like that and you can not say anything different about it.

You have no idea how the fish feels so I don't want to hear that it is "happy" because is shows no signs of stress. This is horrible on your part, and you should feel like crap because of it.

-Chis-
let me guess you are the ones that keep a yellow tang in a 55g because it has 4 feet long?

look you've been 1 year reading. congratulation many people should do that. but hey experience and trial and error is what will make you a successfull reef keeper. there are many fishes that are not compatible with another. some house people have luck and they don't fight. is not luck is knowing house to create an environment for them were each one will have there territory.

if you are so mad about it. you have your right to think how ever you want. but let me tell why you don't go to every pet shop and figth with them fir keeping 3 tang in a 10g tank, 25 clownfish in a 10g tank and 1 queen angelfish in a 20g tank. I bet you go there and you say wow what a beautiful queen angel instead of !@# this !@#$ are keeping all this fishes in this small space. I'm not gonna buy anything from them

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:09 PM   #16
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

OMG! You just don't get it do you?

Clownfish naturally live in anemone's that are fairly large. Your anemone and your enviroment are way to small for this fish. It's pretty obvious.

I'm not even sure if your anemone is acceptible for a clown anyway. Is that a condy? They don't host in them.

Make an effort to buy a bigger tank and transfer everything over. A 10 gallon would be better than even this. What are they like 9 bucks!

zma21's tanks are large enough for those fish for the time being. I'm sure he is going to upgrade in the future.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has posted about this.

Mods should close this thread out of sheer stupidity.

-Chris-

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:24 PM   #17
kenny77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AVALover5498
OMG! You just don't get it do you?

Clownfish naturally live in anemone's that are fairly large. Your anemone and your enviroment are way to small for this fish. It's pretty obvious.

I'm not even sure if your anemone is acceptible for a clown anyway. Is that a condy? They don't host in them.

Make an effort to buy a bigger tank and transfer everything over. A 10 gallon would be better than even this. What are they like 9 bucks!

zma21's tanks are large enough for those fish for the time being. I'm sure he is going to upgrade in the future.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has posted about this.

Mods should close this thread out of sheer stupidity.

-Chris-
do you know that clownfish don't need an anemone to host them. and what make you think I have a condy to host the clown?

look I don't need to make the effort to buy a bigger tank because I have 2 24g cube more. one have a pair of clownfish to but perculas.

and buy the way if you are calling be stu!@3 maybe you should be banned.

the best thing a person that doen't like my tank can say. is nothing. why. If I don't like you tank I close the thread I look for the next one.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:32 PM   #18
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

Because if I didn't say anything I would feel horrible for not doing so. This needs to be addressed. And so I'm stepping up and saying something.

If you have two 24's with only 1 pair of clowns in it, then throw this clown in the other one.

I'm done with this.

If you honestly feel in your that this is acceptable, than I pity you. I really do.

-Chris-

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:35 PM   #19
kenny77
Registered Member

ok you are done thanks now let keep talking about the thread.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 04:58 PM   #20
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

kenny77- IMHO it is a bit of a small tank for an Oceallaris. You are right in thinking it would be the only clown to attempt in such a small tank, but it is still a little bit small for this fish.
I'm actually more concerned about your anemone. These grow fairly large, and they will grow 3-12 times faster than any coral you will ever keep. What's more, even though condy's aren't the most light loving anemone, that isn't saying much; because all anemones need intense light and regular feedings. Another problem is that this particular specimen will sting directly and indirectly all your livestock. Anemones are a problem in nanos. In fact I've been very dismayed by all the threads of individuals in this forum who are attempting to keep anemones of any kind in nanos(with the exception of some very rare minis and possibly tubes anemones[which produce a sizeable amount of waste so you wouldn't want them anyway]) Please consider that you have a pico which is considerably smaller than even a nano.

I'm not trying to pick on you in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I think your tank is really really pretty. I really like your plans for a refugium. Just keep in mind that some passionate reefers may come across a bit turse when it comes to defending the animals they love.

A 20w bulb of any kind is not sufficient for keeping an anemone. I understand you are trying to follow watts/per gallon. The problem is that it's a shacky method at best that seasoned reefers have long abandoned for principles of light intensity and husbandry matching- ie- matching the light needs of your animals to that of your fixture.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. I think you have a great tank, but I think some of your livestock would do far better in a new home with someone.

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 05:09 PM   #21
kenny77
Registered Member

InsaneClownFish thank. This is the kind of talk I like to have.

yes I was talking to somebody today. who and he told me to add instead of a 10w bulb, to add another one. My consern was the heat. but since the hood will be hanging and there is a fan behind the tank it will dissipate the heat. so I'm going for 40w.

this anemone I have it because Actually the tank came with it. It has a very sentimental meaning for me. I know the anemone and the clownfish will end up in a couple of month in the 24g tank that I have with LR and coral only. But until I move the tank from the kitchen to the bedroom it will remain like that. the only thing I took out was 2 colony of zoan which were growing too fast and invading the live rock and every single space in the tank.

keeping this clown in this tank doesn't mean that I hate them. Actually I receive call every day from people that need some help with the maintenance of there tank and wow. I have see something that make me really really mad but I don't insult them or go to there house and tell them you are stupid buy keeping that in your tank.

thank for you time. I will soon will post some picture. the fuge is already set up. but I need to drill the tank and I'm waiting for the bulkhead.

Kenny

Unread 11/03/2007, 05:38 PM   #22
cwilson
Awaiting Email Confirmation

kenny, i support you. that clowns fine in there.

3 things to consider:
1) if the clown behaves normally and is not sickly, chances are hes rather content
2) you must also consider the water column. i have blue/green chromis in a 46 gallon bowfront, and they spend most of their time up top by where my sump return is. as long as there is flow in his tank (which the pics support), the clown 'seemingly' has swimming room
3) if you all are THAT concerned about giving a fish eveyrthing it needs, and giving it ideal conditions, why are you in this hobby?

cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 08:45 PM   #23
Jarob
Registered Member

the only reason this thread should be looked at or closed is because of AVALover5498 rude comments. Read the rules before you go bashing on fellow reefers buddy.

Great tank, love the way it looks.

Jarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2007, 08:52 PM   #24
AVALover5498
*Zoa Freak*

I honestly don't think I was being rude, just very blunt. I made my point, and it was almost completly ignored. So I chose to leave. I know I am not the only one who feels this way, I just chose to speak up, so I am being called rude. I hope everyone will open there eyes and see how truely cruel this is.

-Chris-

Unread 11/03/2007, 09:09 PM   #25
reefman13
Registered Member

I have a powder brown tang (2.5") in my 65g which is half as big as the RECOMMENDED size for them and I don't think she could be any healthier. In this case this clown (does about a 1/3 the amount of swimming a tang does), is in half the size recommended and looks very happy. So I really see no reason for the few obnoxious complaints about kenny77's fish keeping skills.

I have just one question though; did you say that you also have a damsel in the same tank?

That fuge idea is pretty cool. And with it, (if you have a nice return pump) you shouldn't need a closed loop.....

Do you have any diagrams for the way you are going to setup the fuge? Will it hold all your filtration aswell?

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote