Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2015, 02:46 AM   #51
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Thats a very nice looking acro Andrew...at least the polyps arent brown.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 03:39 AM   #52
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Have a night time SSC pic Matt, pics of acros always make things better i find mate

Heyyyy i just saw the new thread
Loved the fts but the SSC night pic is crazy andrew

Unread 10/11/2015, 07:03 AM   #53
martinphillip03
Registered Member

French dogs, good at retreating. LMAO

Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Nice dog, well the backside anyway. You sure he wasn't mooning you?

I love herding dogs, so smart ... at least they appear smart. We ended up with pappillons; french royalty dogs. Yea ... they are good at being docile and retreating when scared. I wanted a beagle.

Maybe those greenish polyps will show better color once it's been in captivity a while. Skin looks fantastic.

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2015, 03:05 PM   #54
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Andrew, hope you are well. How's the tank matey? Since you have a much larger tank, I forgot, are you now running a calcium reactor or still running two part?

Unread 10/12/2015, 03:15 PM   #55
troubadour11
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't use any magnet mounts now but i have. Just about every covered magnet will fail over time but the Tunze pump magnets are uncovered ceramic and safe in the water so there is nothing to fail......... use those and you won't have anything to stress about down the track buddy.
As to your question about pigments - it's not thin tissue it's unsaturated pigmentation which gives the appearance of the tissue looking thin. Lots of people mistake poor saturation for 'thin tissue'. I'll have a ramble for you in the new journal if that's ok mate.
Hey there. I found the new thread/old tank

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the magnet info. I have a really feisty coral that I'd like to suspend in its own area above the sand bed where it can't reach other pieces. But I need a mag that can have 1 end of branch rock affixed to it with the other end testing on a rock tower. But the general trick then is to look for ceramic magnets to be safe?

I'm also still highly interested in your "thin tissue" vs unsaturated pigmentation thoughts. I seem to be getting good polyp coloration on my sps. But only my Pink Monti-Cap and Pink Setosa have great saturated skin pigmentation. Everything else is only slightly colored or white/pale/thin looking. For example, super green Bali green slimmer polyps with mostly white skin with a little reddish hue. Or super orange digital polyps, but has lost the purple color on the skin and is more white looking now.

But everything is entrusting, growing on the tips, or both. We'll, except Milli's... which I like and have yet to keep one alive!

So I'm trying to figure out if it's more a lighting kind of thing or something with water chemistry. But my Alk is kept stable around 7.8-8.0. Mg kept 1370-1400. Ca typically around 420ish or above. PO4 bounces around a little between not registering and very low on my Hanna ULR meter (I typically try to keep P04 barely registering on hULR). But the fudge has some nuisance algae in it, but not over run.

My gut instinct is saying I might not be hitting the sps with enough par to color up the skin. But enough to get growth and colored polyps.?.?

Since you always have such great color saturation on the skin of your acros, I'm curious to know your biggles ramble diagnosis for growing white sticks with colorful polyps...

90g Mixed Reef: (36x12) Ecosystem Pro Sump w/ 75g refugium, 2 Eheim Jager Heaters, 15w UV Sterilizer, (2*1600gph) powerheads w/ Wavemaker, Rio #12HF, Bubble Magus: NAC6, Reef Angel, and DIY Rapid LED

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef tank with 75 gallon fuge and ecosystem sump.
troubadour11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 02:25 AM   #56
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap View Post
Wow. Love the minimal rockwork. Very nice
Thank you mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibarassa View Post
Andrew, I'd like to see the acrylic base….
It's under Potatohead and his new buddy...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
If I were a dog and my owner made me wear a dog hoodie like that, I think I'd be putting my bum in the face of all the humans near me as well.

I wonder, do they have moose sized hoodies for our Canadian friends? After watching a video of two Moose (mooses? meese? I think meese would be appropriate since more than one goose is referred to as geese and we're only one letter off) fighting in someones driveway on CNN, I would not be willing to try that. They followed it up with two 'roos fighting in the street, and I'm sad to say it had nothing on the moose fight.
I say we go with meese mate............

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
....and to conclude
Let's drop the meese talk before it gets out of hand. What other animals do you have in Canada and are they as silly looking as meese.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobssecrtsn View Post
Biggles, you my friend, have some impressive phone capturing skills.

does Australia have better phones then the U.S?

Obama must be hiding it..
Thanks Bob, Aus has better everything than the U.S mate............

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugly View Post
I will take the ugly acro from you buddy send it here.
The acro is pretty Dan, it's just the polyps i dislike mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernam Invalid View Post
Have been lurking you threads for awhile now and have to say I admire your approach to reefing. I can only hope to achieve this level of success.
Thanks for dropping by mate

Unread 10/20/2015, 02:49 AM   #57
bibarassa
Registered Member

Andrew, that buddy comes from your new frog-frag tank........................very interesting.....never seen before

bibarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 03:07 AM   #58
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Thats a very nice looking acro Andrew...at least the polyps arent brown.
Dirty olive green is as good as brown in my books mate......

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
Heyyyy i just saw the new thread
Loved the fts but the SSC night pic is crazy andrew
Hey Mike, any SSC photographs well at night with a flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
French dogs, good at retreating. LMAO

Marty
You're a bad man Marty lol..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Andrew, hope you are well. How's the tank matey? Since you have a much larger tank, I forgot, are you now running a calcium reactor or still running two part?
Hey buddy, mom came down for a visit a few weeks back and ended up in hospital for a week with her heart and then i made her stay with me for a week after so that's why i haven't been around a lot recently. She's all better and i need to clean up the neglected display.........
I still drip alk via a plastic jug and airline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour11 View Post
Hey there. I found the new thread/old tank

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the magnet info. I have a really feisty coral that I'd like to suspend in its own area above the sand bed where it can't reach other pieces. But I need a mag that can have 1 end of branch rock affixed to it with the other end testing on a rock tower. But the general trick then is to look for ceramic magnets to be safe?

I'm also still highly interested in your "thin tissue" vs unsaturated pigmentation thoughts. I seem to be getting good polyp coloration on my sps. But only my Pink Monti-Cap and Pink Setosa have great saturated skin pigmentation. Everything else is only slightly colored or white/pale/thin looking. For example, super green Bali green slimmer polyps with mostly white skin with a little reddish hue. Or super orange digital polyps, but has lost the purple color on the skin and is more white looking now.

But everything is entrusting, growing on the tips, or both. We'll, except Milli's... which I like and have yet to keep one alive!

So I'm trying to figure out if it's more a lighting kind of thing or something with water chemistry. But my Alk is kept stable around 7.8-8.0. Mg kept 1370-1400. Ca typically around 420ish or above. PO4 bounces around a little between not registering and very low on my Hanna ULR meter (I typically try to keep P04 barely registering on hULR). But the fudge has some nuisance algae in it, but not over run.

My gut instinct is saying I might not be hitting the sps with enough par to color up the skin. But enough to get growth and colored polyps.?.?

Since you always have such great color saturation on the skin of your acros, I'm curious to know your biggles ramble diagnosis for growing white sticks with colorful polyps...
Ceramic magnets are the go mate.

I need to reply to your PM but in short if your acros are growing fast but look like blah then you simply have the spectrum wrong whilst everything else such as water and available acro food/nutrients is pretty much spot on. Give your acros the spectrum they'd receive at say 30mtrs deep but at a PAR level more like at 10mtrs.......... lots of intense blue light - 400W Radium

This is what happens when i take pics of the yellow trolls hangout. He comes running.........

In full great yellow shark mode.

Giving me a filthy look.

Charging at me when i began to stand up.

I am going to video Dom trying to cut frags from the yellow pointer's lair - i think we'll all enjoy watching that.

Unread 10/20/2015, 03:57 AM   #59
glaukos
Registered Member

For some unknown reason yellow tangs where never one of my favorite fish but i really enjoyed those pics mate
He looks fat,healthy and nicely colored!
Cool pics mate,thanks for sharing!

Unread 10/20/2015, 05:22 AM   #60
nemodan
Registered Member

Nice to hear that your mother is doing fine.

My yellow tang, every time I seat in front of the tank to take coral pictures he came and stands in front of the camera. I though that he was trying to say me" hey here I am , prettier than those corals, take pictures of me and forget the others " . Could be he has a different actitud in mind ?

LOL
Cheers
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 09:53 AM   #61
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:

I say we go with meese mate............

Let's drop the meese talk before it gets out of hand. What other animals do you have in Canada and are they as silly looking as meese.......

Quote:

I am going to video Dom trying to cut frags from the yellow pointer's lair - i think we'll all enjoy watching that.
Great minds think alike......Meese it is. I can't think of any other animal up there that is as goofy as meese are. I would wager that if we went back in time, we could prove that the platypus actually evolved in what would become Canada then migrated to what would become Australia before Pangea broke up.

Make sure you have multiple cameras in place for when Dom attempts to frag around the lair of your yellow tang. That way we have multiple viewing angles to enjoy while watching his fingers get shredded.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 11:08 AM   #62
reefmutt
Registered Member

Although meese could make a great national animal for Canada, our humble nature led us to choose this animal as our national pride:
As Pete points out, it is in FACT the missing link to aussie's platypus..
I give you the majestic beaver

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 11:42 AM   #63
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Although meese could make a great national animal for Canada, our humble nature led us to choose this animal as our national pride:
Nice Beaver

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 11:45 AM   #64
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thank you.
Plural is beavii, in case anyone was wondering.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 10/20/2015, 12:17 PM   #65
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
You, my friend, have won the internet today.
So many ways to go with that......but in order to keep this thread from being deleted, I will just stick with

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Nice Beaver

ps.
Quote:
Thank you.
Plural is beavii, in case anyone was wondering.
Odd, I've always been told it's beavage.

Unread 10/20/2015, 12:32 PM   #66
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ha!! Lo damn L!
Yes.... Many... Steady Matt!

I stand corrected...

Beavage

Unread 10/20/2015, 01:00 PM   #67
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Andrew, I'm glad that your mums better. Now please clean the display and post us some SPS eye candy. No beavers please...

Unread 10/20/2015, 01:13 PM   #68
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

[IMG][/IMG]

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 01:40 PM   #69
reefmutt
Registered Member

Unread 10/20/2015, 05:11 PM   #70
M007
Acro Whore

It's amazing what a picture of a buck toothed, hairy, flat tailed rodent brings out in such an esteemed reefing crowd Personally the beaver should been dumped for the loon 100 years ago, who doesn't like a loon on a Saturday night

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 06:52 PM   #71
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
It's amazing what a picture of a buck toothed, hairy, flat tailed rodent brings out in such an esteemed reefing crowd Personally the beaver should been dumped for the loon 100 years ago, who doesn't like a loon on a Saturday night
I know, it's beautiful isn't it?

If a loon is anything like Canadian geese, then no thank you. I can't think of a more vile flying animal. Not only do they leave massive 2 inch green poops all over parking lots and golf courses, they drop those suckers when they fly too. Having one of those smash into your car could be devastating. Makes me consider wearing a helmet when they're around.

Unread 10/20/2015, 07:01 PM   #72
M007
Acro Whore

You need to brush up on your Canadian water fowl. The beautiful and peaceful Canadian loon should never be classed together with the irritating and belligerent Canada goose. The are only two uses for the Canada goose, food and feathers to fill those $800 Canafa Goose winter coats

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 07:35 PM   #73
markalot

Andrew, don't rile up the Canadians they never stop. Now all we have in here is loony moose beavers.

edit: and yes, hope your mom is on the mend!

Last edited by markalot; 10/20/2015 at 07:52 PM.
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 07:46 PM   #74
pstank1
Registered Member

I looked up the loon and although there are some similarities between the two, it is indeed a different critter. I guess I would be ok with that proposal, but I'm guessing you'd face some stiff opposition when trying to replace the beaver.

Andrew, I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing well. Now hurry back and provide us with some much needed acro porn before this thread has multiple pages devoted to discussing the finer points of Canadian fauna.

Unread 10/20/2015, 08:12 PM   #75
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm just going to say one quick thing: you must google the call of the loon before making any judgement. It is its call that makes it so iconic..
Now, I'm sure Andrew will appear shortly as the sun must be coming up over there fairly soon..
Help us Biggles... Once us Canadians start naval gazing, it's only moments before we start 'cleaning' ourselves like pstank1's perverted cat...