Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2016, 01:53 PM   #1
skinsncanes
Registered Member

Vermetid Snail Removal

I've spent the last six months trying to get rid of these a$$holes. I had a pest free tank with all dry rock, and literally got one tiny piece of live rock to see coralline and they overran my tank

I spent 30 hours manually breaking off every single one I could find and in weeks they were back everywhere. I spent the 30 hours again once I realized my sump and skimmer were filled with egg sacks

Eventually I just removed every single piece of rock I had, and threw in a couple new prices for bio filtration and just watched my tank for months. They eventually go all in the three new pieces of rock

I wish I understood how they reproduced. If you look at this pic sometimes the egg sack thing is five times the size of any of the snails.

I've cleaned all my equipment multiple times but they still are around. I have a frag rack and they'll show up on the plugs. Two original pieces that were in there, a acro and green star polyp seem to always have a ton of eggs in them. Like somehow the spores or something is in the rocks.

I'm dying to reaquascape my tank and put the 20 frags I got in place. But I don't want to just come home one day and all the rocks be covered again.

My tanks 300 gallons, bare bottom, with just a couple fish. I can't believe how hard these things are to get rid of and how fast they grow and spread with very clean water with minimal food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinsncanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 01:55 PM   #2
skinsncanes
Registered Member

Vermetid Snail Removal

If you look in the center of the pics you'll see how big that one sac is compared to the snails below and to the left of it. There's also some smaller sacs on there, which is more the normal size. I have three trochus snails and every few weeks I have To scrape a dozen eggs or snails off

Also if you know more about how they reproduce please tell me. I'll get thousands of hard white spirals all over my glass that looks like tiny vermetid fossils. They don't turn into the snails but it's a really hard material and annoying to scrape off

Unread 09/01/2016, 02:04 PM   #3
skinsncanes
Registered Member

I've read hundreds of threads on these things. You can't glue them, they're tiny and usually thousands. And as someone that's taken all his rock out several times I can say they're so deep and everywhere in the rock you can never get them all. Here's all my rock in acid making sure they're dead but I can't get them out of my tank.

Also I tried dr Tims refresh or renew. I spoke with him at a conference and he said in high doses his product kills snails. I tried that and didn't do anything.

Trying to get a copper band or six line or puffer is always hit or miss and at best just eats some of the surface ones.

I know they aren't the end of the world but I'm trying to have a nice sps tank. They keep the corals for growing. They're just annoying.

Unread 09/01/2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Potatohead
Registered Member

Following. Mine are not plague proportions but I definitely have a few and they're super annoying. I do have lots of the spirals too but I'm pretty sure they're just harmless filter feeders and I was under the impression they will go away in time when nutrients get really low.

Edit - I do have a six line and he doesn't touch them.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 02:11 PM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

that round thing looks more like a pinnapple sponge than anything (espically related to verminid).

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 02:17 PM   #6
skinsncanes
Registered Member

Vermetid Snail Removal

It did seem bigger than normal. But looked the same as the smaller ones. I'd be happy I guess if It's a sponge. It also explains why there would be hundreds of them in my sump and skimmer but no adult vermetid snails

But with that being said they're always next to snails in the tank. A regular snail will have two of the brown/purple vermetid and the. Ten of these with it.

Unread 09/01/2016, 02:26 PM   #7
skinsncanes
Registered Member

The first photo is just better contrast to see all the white fossils that I said show up everywhere. The last two you can see the normal things that I said are I thought were egg sacks.

Unread 09/01/2016, 04:10 PM   #8
jayball
Registered Member

Those are spiorbord(spelling?) worms. They are not a problem.

Unread 09/01/2016, 05:59 PM   #9
skinsncanes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Those are spiorbord(spelling?) worms. They are not a problem.

And you think the white egg sack thing on the bottom two is a sponge? I'd feel a lot better about my snail removal if those aren't the snails reproducing. But they def reproduce fast either way.

Unread 09/01/2016, 07:05 PM   #10
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsncanes View Post
And you think the white egg sack thing on the bottom two is a sponge? I'd feel a lot better about my snail removal if those aren't the snails reproducing. But they def reproduce fast either way.

Google pineapple sponge. A high resolution picture and you eyes will be able to tell better than I can with your pics.

Honestly, you have not posted a picture with vermited snails yet. Have you seen them casting their mucous nets?

Unread 09/01/2016, 07:25 PM   #11
skinsncanes
Registered Member

The very first picture definitely has several of them but it's hard to see. I had just crushed and broken off most of them. But yes they had the nets, spiral shape, def vermetid snails. Though I've apparently been trying to eradicate two other things in the process.

Unread 09/02/2016, 06:34 AM   #12
homer1475
Registered Member

Although I have yet to see an vermetid snails in any of your pics, you do know you have to crush/remove the base to eradicate them, and not just crush the tube structure?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 04:29 AM   #13
starkii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Google pineapple sponge. A high resolution picture and you eyes will be able to tell better than I can with your pics.

Honestly, you have not posted a picture with vermited snails yet. Have you seen them casting their mucous nets?

+1 the small white circles you have a spirobid worms. Extremely common and completely harmless. There is no evidence of vermited snails which are normally much larger in comparison.

starkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 07:39 AM   #14
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I also don't think those are vermentid snails, though still annoying as they don't look good. I did notice that after adding a sea urchin he did happen to eat a lot of the easy to reach vermentid snails I had in my tank. I'm guessing just luck as he was eating other algea on the rocks, but I'll take it.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 08:00 AM   #15
tmc1313
Registered Member

I've had and still have vermetid snails pop up once in a while. I make a kalkwasser solution to eradicate them. I make the solution thin enough to suck up into a syringe and then simply inject the solution down into their tube. Works like a charm and has never failed me yet. This is what the little pests look like in case you're not sure.
image upload no compression

Last edited by tmc1313; 09/06/2016 at 08:16 AM.
tmc1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 10:27 AM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Nothing like wasting all that time on the wrong assumption..
Life is fun like that sometimes..

Bookmark this site for your future reference..
It covers most of the common creatures and says a little about them (good/bad,etc...)
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker.shtml

Unread 09/18/2016, 02:53 PM   #17
juanm2592
Registered Member

I have a few big ones in my tank, they seem harmless except for bugging corals?

juanm2592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 08:29 AM   #18
biecacka
Registered Member

Todd, I am going to try that method. I have a few but I don't like them and wor webs hey cast.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 09:15 AM   #19
ssick92
Registered Member

I have to agree with the others in that I don't see any vermetid snails in your pictures... Vermemids are MUCH larger than what you show in your pictures (which are actually spirorbid worms).

If you say you've seen them with their nets out, then I guess you are probably right, but nothing in the pictures suggests vermetids...

I think those white things are actually just harmless pineapple sponges, but it is a little difficult to see.

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 10:57 PM   #20
cubbyman60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
I have to agree with the others in that I don't see any vermetid snails in your pictures... Vermemids are MUCH larger than what you show in your pictures (which are actually spirorbid worms).

If you say you've seen them with their nets out, then I guess you are probably right, but nothing in the pictures suggests vermetids...

I think those white things are actually just harmless pineapple sponges, but it is a little difficult to see.
Agree with this ^^^.

How exactly do you inject the vermetid snails? Their tube diameters are very small.

cubbyman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 08:29 PM   #21
biecacka
Registered Member

2 days ago I was epoxying some frags and decided to use a little on a few snails in my tank. Not removal, but hopefully it will work.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 09:16 PM   #22
pisanoal
Registered Member

I have vermetids in my 40b. I am planning on moving corals over to my new 125 and trying to not transfer vermetids. In my research I found their reproductive methods. The males cast sperm in their nets and close by females take it in to fertilize the eggs. The eggs mature in the females tube and then the larvae crawl out of the tube and crawl around on the rock until they find a suitable spot. My plan is to cut my coral from the rocks they are on and put them on clean frag plugs. In the process if I see any on the coral, I'll remove it. Either way, everything will be dipped in Bayer and rinsed several times before going into the new tank. Based on what I've read, Bayer should kill any I miss. The only concern was eggs, but since they develop in the tube, there shouldn't be concern for them being on the coral. Anything that might be too small to see the Bayer should kill.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 08:40 AM   #23
tmc1313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbyman60 View Post
Agree with this ^^^.

How exactly do you inject the vermetid snails? Their tube diameters are very small.
I just use a 10ml syringe (I forget what gauge the needle is) and stick it right down the tube and squirt until it starts flowing out the opening. for snails in hard to reach places or that are growing in weird angles I use a curved needle syringe.

Unread 10/09/2016, 01:33 PM   #24
Scottedontknow
Registered Member

i had them in my small tank, all you have to do is reduce nutrients in the tank so they are filter feeders. They reproduce under the right conditions IE... nutrient rich tank. at least this is what i have noticed i may be wrong but i just added an extra skimmer for a few weeks and they seemed to disappear and are no longer an issue for me.

Scottedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 09:15 PM   #25
skinsncanes
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay but I definitely removed hundreds of vermetid snails. Pic attached. I just didn't know what the pineapple sponges were. I was worried those were the snail spreading. Which caused me to over react a little and nuke all my rock.

I've basically gotten rid of the snails. I just put all my rock back in a week ago and finally mounted 35 frags that were waiting for rocks. Ill occasionally see one or two of the snails so it's manageable enough to pop them off when I see them. Hopefully they don't have enough presence to take over my rocks again