Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Horace
Registered Member

Dosing Carbon during Tank Startup/Cycling

Hey folks I am curious about everyone's thoughts regarding the benefits of dosing carbon sources while the rock/sand etc is cycling the first time. My thought is that the carbon source SHOULD speed the growth of bacteria, and potentially shorten the duration of the cycle. It might also serve as a good way to help get the rock "cooking" and get rid of the dieoff related nutrients. I am also thinking that adding "too much" at this point also isnt a worry given there are no organisms that need Oxygen to survive.

Thoughts? Potential downsides?

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2017, 02:43 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I would wait for nutrient problem to arise before setting out with a solution. You may never need to carbon dose, I certainly would not during the cycle when nitrate test results are not accurate.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 06:23 AM   #3
reefwars
Registered Member

I started carbon dosing vinegar the minute my tank had salt water in it I started from all dry pukani with zero curing and imo was a great move i had no nutrient issues going this route with all my dry rock

Worked for me

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 09:58 AM   #4
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

When I upgrade my tank I intend to do a low dose of carbon from the get go to help get denitrifying bacteria populations growing. I think as long as the dose is very low, and you check pH to make sure your carbon source is not building up in your tank you should be fine. I currently dose about 50ml a day in a 65 gallon tank. When I start my 210, i'll probly dose more like 5-10ml/day as a starting dose during the cycle, and increase very slowly after that as needed.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Mishri
Registered Member

I'm against starting out with carbon dosing, the carbon can also cause cyano and dinos to grow... and you might not need to carbon dose anyway.

Unread 06/29/2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Horace
Registered Member

I personally dont view carbon dosing as something you should avoid unless you need to. But I do understand not wanting to induce Cyano or dinos. Though in my mind those are often stages a tank goes through. If carbon dosing can speed along the maturity of the tank, then I think its something to consider. For example, ive seen people start Zeovit from day one....

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote