Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2012, 09:47 PM   #1
T Diddy
Slayer of Mice

Question Will superglue gel bond to acrylic?

I need to make a fish trap. Can I use acrylic from a box store and some super glue to make it happen?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Current Tank Info: 140 Gallon DSA in-wall, foam/rock wall, DIY LED, 40g sump, Precision Marine Skimmer, 100 gallon refugium, NO3, PO4,NH3/4 undetectable, Mg, Ca, KH...eeehhhhhh?
T Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Acrylics
Registered Member

superglue bonds extremely well to acrylic.. how you work with it is up to you

James

Acrylics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 10:00 AM   #3
T Diddy
Slayer of Mice

Thanks Acrylics

Current Tank Info: 140 Gallon DSA in-wall, foam/rock wall, DIY LED, 40g sump, Precision Marine Skimmer, 100 gallon refugium, NO3, PO4,NH3/4 undetectable, Mg, Ca, KH...eeehhhhhh?
Unread 10/14/2012, 10:05 AM   #4
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

I can tell you from personal experience that it will definitely bond acrylic to your skin.

Be careful.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 01:53 PM   #5
twilmot
Registered Member

I have found that supper glue binds just about everything together. My finger to the frag plug. My finger to the coral while I was trying to get my other finger off the frag plug. My finger to the papertowel. My finger to the plastic piece of my skimmer that broke off. My finger to acrylic.
Either my finger is really sticky or superglue will bond just about anything together. Especialy for a fish trap you should be straight. Happy hunting!!!

twilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 02:48 PM   #6
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

True story...

I was gluing down a frag and used regular super glue, not the gel. I put a bunch on the bottom of the plug and dipped a little water to get the skin on it so I could get it in the tank. Suddenly the glue dripped and went all over my hand gluing several fingers on my left hand together. So I put the frag down and went for the nail polish remover. No luck, my girl used the last of it. So I go out to my car to drive to the drug store with my left hand feeling more like a flipper. Suddenly as I grabbed the wheel I felt something tug. I guess there was enough glue left uncured on my hand or a little bubble of it popped or something. Long story short I sat in my driveway for two hours with my hand hopelessly glued to my steering wheel waiting for my girlfriend to get home. Couldn't reach my phone and couldn't drive with my hand glued. It was a real mess.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 06:36 PM   #7
twilmot
Registered Member

Ok first off sorry that must of sucked.... Secondly, I just laughed my butt off. If you want to laugh at other peoples expense look on you tube for Superglue pranks...... lost of enjoyment to be had...

twilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 07:33 PM   #8
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc1 View Post
Couldn't reach my phone and couldn't drive with my hand glued. It was a real mess.
Somehow I picture you being heavily stocked with acetone now......

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2012, 07:49 PM   #9
bluewater921
Registered Member.

disc i was in the same boat but i tried everything to get the super glue off me and the rock i glued my fingers to .. i was gluing a frag down to a hole i drilled in a rock didnt take note that the super glue had dripped a lil on my right hand .. well i set the frag plug where i wanted .. as i went to lift my hand out of the tank is it seemed heavier then when i put it in the water .. come to find out my pointer and middle finger were stuck to this very rock i put the dang plug on .. so i ended up pulling the rock out of the tank with hand in tacked to the rock . called my wife didnt want to use anything on the rock or close to the coral that would kill it . so i made a bucket of water and off to the ER we go .. after 1 hour of sitting in the waiting room the glue let go and i was able to get my hand back ..

Current Tank Info: 180 in the wall reef
bluewater921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 08:35 AM   #10
looneyreefer
Registered Member

super glue is gods miracle

looneyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 10:26 AM   #11
T Diddy
Slayer of Mice

With any luck, I won't have a funny story when this is all said and done. Stuck to the car for two hours...no thank you. I'll be sure to keep some acetone close by.

Unread 11/10/2018, 05:11 PM   #12
incloud
Registered Member

My algae scrubber has a slow leak and I'm thinking about trying to run a bead of super glue on the seam. Think it would work out?

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 09:17 PM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
My algae scrubber has a slow leak and I'm thinking about trying to run a bead of super glue on the seam. Think it would work out?
Yes it may help depending on the specifics..

Unread 11/10/2018, 09:57 PM   #14
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yes it may help depending on the specifics..

I got it fixed and it's up and running. Thanks!

Unread 11/12/2018, 05:30 PM   #15
dmsprague
Registered Member

It will bond to your tongue and lips also if your hands are full and you use your mouth to put the lid on

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:11 PM   #16
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
Non pressure pvc plumbing glue will also work

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:17 PM   #17
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Non pressure pvc plumbing glue will also work
I fixed it with PVC glue and it ran for a few days and now it's leaking from another spot on the opposite end. Can't win I guess? I'm going to take it completely out, get some WeldOn and fix the acrylic right and rebuild the section of PVC that is questionable. No big deal really, was just tired of tampering with it. Thanks!

Unread 11/13/2018, 09:33 PM   #18
Daimyo68
Registered Member

You can't make this stuff up, lmao

Quote:
True story...

I was gluing down a frag and used regular super glue, not the gel. I put a bunch on the bottom of the plug and dipped a little water to get the skin on it so I could get it in the tank. Suddenly the glue dripped and went all over my hand gluing several fingers on my left hand together. So I put the frag down and went for the nail polish remover. No luck, my girl used the last of it. So I go out to my car to drive to the drug store with my left hand feeling more like a flipper. Suddenly as I grabbed the wheel I felt something tug. I guess there was enough glue left uncured on my hand or a little bubble of it popped or something. Long story short I sat in my driveway for two hours with my hand hopelessly glued to my steering wheel waiting for my girlfriend to get home. Couldn't reach my phone and couldn't drive with my hand glued. It was a real mess.

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 09:46 PM   #19
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo68 View Post
You can't make this stuff up, lmao
Its always good to drive with both hands glued to the steering wheel my dad would tell me. LOL

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 12:27 AM   #20
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
True story...

that's awesome.

I'd pay to see her reaction.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:49 AM   #21
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
True story...

It's like American Pie 2 but the reefing version...

Also super glue is cyanoacrylate - the name should suggest that it will certainly bond to acrylic. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote