Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2018, 01:43 PM   #10751
Skittlz
Registered Member

welcome to the forum

Skittlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2018, 07:37 AM   #10752
T spat
Registered Member

I'm looking for advice on settings for my Ai prime light. I have a 60gal cube (2ft square). I Ai prime light. Reef tank with 5 fish a few anemones (started with 1, it split and have had 4 for over 1 year) I've been getting more algae growth lately. Tank has been up over 3 years, but I cannot get my ph to stay put. Almost need to add daily. Also cannot get calcium to reccomend level. Can anyone assist?

T spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2018, 08:11 PM   #10753
anhsirk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistahman View Post
I am relatively new to the hobby. I actually joined the site awhile back and have been reading and learning. I have reached out to members privately and gotten answers to questions (dint want to sound retarded in public). I have 2 tanks running currently. 75 gallon lps with a couple of sps and mushrooms. Trigger 30 sump and reef octapus 150 int skimmer. 2 kessil a360’s on goose neck mounts.

100 gallon fowlr, trigger system 36 sump same skimmer and 3 orbit marine 48” lights (1st gen).

Welcome. I have a similar setup as the first tank you listed. Love those lights.

Just keep swimming...

anhsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 11:31 AM   #10754
JayBauman
Registered Member

I'm brand new to the hobby. A bit of Google searching brought me here. It seems like you guys really know your stuff; I'm excited to learn how to keep my fishes and corals alive and thriving!

JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 11:17 PM   #10755
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Hi,
My name is Tonya and I officially joined yesterday. I've read the discussions here for many years and everyone has been truly helpful. Looking forward to many more years.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 11:20 PM   #10756
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Hi,
My name is Tonya. I've read the many posts here over the years and decided to finally join yesterday. Looking forward to many more discussions.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 06:56 PM   #10757
Warbird99
Registered Member

Greetings. My name is Dave. Iambrand new to reef tanks but have been keeping freshwater fish for many years. I still have my 125 gallon Discus tank going and plan to keep it. The new reef tank is going to be a 75 gallon that I did have set up as a tank for smaller freshwater fish but decided...with the encouragement of our great local fish store...to change it over to saltwater and a reef tank. I will probably ask a lot of dumb questons. Please bare with me! Thanks for adding me to the group!

Warbird99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2018, 01:04 PM   #10758
Thistlenight
Registered Member

Cool Newbie Fish Keeper

Good afternoon. My husband and I have kept our tanks for just about a year now. Was looking through the forums for answers on some tank issues and thought that I should just join in case I needed to ask my own questions.

Thistlenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 12:01 PM   #10759
ActualProof
Registered Member

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking for a looooooong time. I worked in a few LFSs in college, and fell in love with the hobby. A relocation in 1999 forced me dismantle my 75g reef. I left Charleston, SC and spent the following 10 years traveling for work. I ended up in Columbia, SC, and added a wife and three kids to my resume. Since 2013, I’ve been slowly and methodically acquiring gear for my return-to-reefing-triumph-build. Instead of building my own sump this time, I did the father-of-three-young-kids thing and drove over to Aquarium Specialty and bought one from them. I plumbed it this past weekend. My RODI water station is now fully operational in the garage... Brutes are filled to the rim. Will I add water this week? It’s possible.

ActualProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:51 PM   #10760
Redeyes31
Registered Member

THE AMMONIA'S SPIKING!!!

Im about 1 week more experienced with reefing than I am with posting on a forum. But I've been researching for a couple months and so much good information has come from this site I figured I'd join in and see if I can figure it out.

I've got a 65g DT with 24g sump/refugium. Added water and 'starter cycle' 8 days ago but have seen nothing at all. Added a cold shrimp today, lol. I am aiming for a mixed coral and fish reef display. Lots of gobies and small fish. I logged on to start posting some questions. I know they've been asked, but I can't figure out the specific word combo to find them.

Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 12:49 AM   #10761
dejahboi
Registered Member

Greetings people!

I have yet to buy anything but I'm planning to take the plunge into this hobby. I plan to get into a nano size tank to start me off but I'll be lurking for all my answers.

Thanks!

dejahboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 04:51 PM   #10762
FixIt
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I am brand new to the hobby. I am already starting to get addicted. I bought a Coralife LED biocube 32. I also bought a Sicce Nano 2000 for more flow. I am looking to do a reef tank in it. Any help or suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 01:42 AM   #10763
narkotix
Registered Member

Hello all,

Just introducing myself as I am new to saltwater. I've recently purchased a 32 gallon Starfire Aquatics setup complete with sump, reef octopus skimmer, heater, pumps,yubao wavemaker and stand. Will lilkely build my own lights (as i did recently for my 40g freshwater) My LFS told me to get onto this forum for advice and direction.

Cheers,
Nark

narkotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 01:45 AM   #10764
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotix View Post
Hello all,

Just introducing myself as I am new to saltwater. I've recently purchased a 32 gallon Starfire Aquatics setup complete with sump, reef octopus skimmer, heater, pumps,yubao wavemaker and stand. Will lilkely build my own lights (as i did recently for my 40g freshwater) My LFS told me to get onto this forum for advice and direction.

Cheers,
Nark
Hi welcome to the Forum. I'm glad to know LFS like that exist, that's the best piece of advice anyone can give.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 10:56 AM   #10765
Oropher
Registered Member

Hi folks. I'm Narto from Indonesia.

I'm new in this hobby and I have lots to ask you folks.
I'm to be inherited a 24L nano all in 1 tank because my brother didn't want to keep on tanking anymore.

I bought 2 pieces of live rocks. And I dipped them in Revive solution, got many hitchhikers such as crabs, worms, and many other things coming out of those rocks. Because of this, I kinda even more worried about those rocks. Worry about they may still host many critters or other scary thing.

So I put those rocks in a bucket with a power head inside to agitate the salt water. Put the metal cover and place it in the middle of my backyard, so during the day sun would heat them. I didn't test the initial water parameter but after 24 hours test result was: Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 12.5 ppm.

Need your suggestion folks
A. do I keep on curing those rocks in the bucket for the next 4-8 weeks or
B. should I drop some ammonia to kill the critters that may still reside. As far as I understand, ammonia won't kill bacteria and neither the coralline algae but (assuming) will kill leftover hitchhickers, and then continue curing until no ammonia, no nitrite and nitrate isn't rising anymore.

Thank you for read this chatter and I even grateful for your advise.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oropher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 01:03 PM   #10766
shelley0
Registered Member

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and the hobby, I have been researching for a little over a year, and finally decided to start my tank. I eventually want to have a living coral tank, they mesmerize me. I have a 60 gallon marine aquarium already, it has a few inhabitants, and coral, but I want one for coral only, and a clean up crew.

shelley0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 08:26 AM   #10767
LandlordReefer
Registered Member

Back in the saddle again

I was in the hobby back in 1995-2005 and left when I moved out into a farmhouse out in the country (power outages freak anyone else out?)

So a decade later and my kids are now old enough to want fish and I'm just not a neon tetra kind of guy...so I showed them the coral areas at the fish store and now I'm back into the hobby with a 72 gallon bow front (and as soon as I announced I was back into the hobby on FB a friend IM'd me and offered me a 125 gallon setup)

I see LED technology has become the standard lighting option, if anyone has a great DIY thread for a setup that's my first project.

Great to be back,

Andrew

LandlordReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 06:54 PM   #10768
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

Hi Everyone my name is Chayse and I'm new on here I have a very modded biocube 29 sps and lps mainly and a 90g freshwater tank.

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 05:21 PM   #10769
Aquariumjim
Registered Member

Talking Lo everyone

My names Jim I’m 32 live in UK, London.

I have 3 tanks a 20l Betta tank, A 250L fresh water tank and a Red Sea reefer 350.

It used to be a FOWLR tank but I have just purchased a Radion XR15 and plan to start keeping some coral.

I checked my water parameters and rushed off to my LFS to buy some frags. Just to watch the pocilapora bleach out and a candy cane shrink and loose half its heads

Needless to say I’m gonna be need your help guys!

Aquariumjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 11:42 PM   #10770
megandy
Registered Member

My wife and I have been in the hobby for 2.5 years. We started with a 28 gal JBJ Nano, but about 5 weeks ago we moved everything over to a 65 gallon oceanic with sump.

We have a ton of coral in our tank. Most are just frags that we hope to grow out, but a few are established colonies that we moved over from the nano.

Zoas:
Scrambled egg (established colony)
Rasta (established colony)
Ring of fire (established colony)
Blue tubbs (several large frags)
Gatorade (frag)
Bam bams (frag)
Gobstopper (frag)
Generic red (established colony)
Boobie trap (frag)

Acans:
Green/orange (established colony)
Purple/orange (established colony)
Red/blue (frag)
Iron Man (frag)

Acro:
Green (established but small)
Pink (frag)
Green/blue bird's nest (frag)

Lepto:
Neon green (frag)

Monti:
Rainbow (frag)
Sunset (frag)
Mystic sunset (established colony, regrowing after a down turn)
Superman (frag)
Green/blueish (frag)
Plate, green (frag)
Spongodes, green/brown (frag)

Mushrooms:
Ricordia orange (frag)
Ricordia blueish (frag)
Green striped (established colony, but thinned after the move)
Red (established colony, but thinned after the move)

Favia:
War (bicolor) (frag)
Red (frag)
Christmas (frag)

Other miscellaneous:
Black sun coral (established but small)
Cyphastria meteor shower (frag)
Duncan (frag)
Hammerhead bicolor (frag)
Photosynthetic gorgonia (pinkish) (established but small)
Pavona green (frag)
Plate coral (over 2" diameter & growing)
Pulsing Xenia (frag)
Green/brown paly (frag)
Green Star Polyp (established colony)

As for fish and other inhabitants, we have:
Spotcinctus clown pair bonded with rainbow bubble tip anemone
Oscillaris clown pair (one nuvinci, one black/orange, I forget the name)
5 blue green chromis
Long finned fairy wrasse
Ruby headed fairy wrasse
Tomini tang
Candi pistol shrimp bonded with High fin banded goby
A handful of cleanup crew (peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs, turbo snails, nassarius snails)
Sand sifting starfish
Blue velvet tuxedo urchin
Rock flower anemone

With the coral, we plan to frag each frag as soon as it gets big enough, then grow out one frag as a mother colony for future fragging, and grow one in the main tank as a permanent inhabitant. We will need a bigger tank eventually

We built the stand ourselves. We are trying to keep everything contained to the single tank and a sump with partitions for a refugium and a frag grow-out section. We are getting ready to build a new sump for this plan.

We are very lucky to have had the chance to trade for a lot of the coral listed because the scrambled egg and Rasta colonies are so prolific, I can't even sell/trade them as fast as they grow in my tank. So, whether we traded one-for-one, or used sales to buy new frags, we have kept our costs to a minimum.

Other equipment includes: two strips of Orbit Current Loop, an Orbit Eflux powerhead, Jebao DCP-6500 sump pump, and another older powerhead. We use the ramp up and ramp down function on the lights, and the brightest daylight is set for about 6-7 hours. The eflux powerhead is on a quick surge of about 1.5 second power cycle. The fish and the anemone seem to love it. We also have a cheaper LED box above the sump for the grow out frags and the refugium.

In the refugium we have chaeto, dragon's breath, ceramic rings that we moved over from the nano, and a lot of live rock. We are trying to get a good copepod community going so that we can eventually add a dragonette goby. In the new sump that we are building, we will probably include some sand in the refugium.

We tend to go light on the water changes and heavy on monitoring parameters. We keep track of calcium, magnesium, and KH, as well as nitrates and our pH stays around 8.2. We keep the temperature at about 78-80, which I'm experimenting with since I read that corals tend to do better in 78-80 rather than getting up to 82+. Dosing includes Seachem vibrance and fuel, occasional balance, calcification, and/or ions. We were dosing nitrate for the coral because it was sitting at zero ppm, but now we just feed more often and that's doing the trick. Ammonia and nitrite stay at 0. We do use carbon filter media (Chemipure blue) in our sump with the combo of a filter sock, sponge block, and the biological stuff.

Picture is from a couple weeks ago before we added a bunch more of the frags listed. We are excited to join the forum and can't wait to learn more and share our experiences with y'all! 20180806_204202.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

megandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 12:22 AM   #10771
Hawaiian FOWLR
Registered Member

Aloha Reef Central

Aloha everyone! I'm new to the forum, as well as to fish keeping. I have a 29 gallon tank with a few pieces of live rock from Moloka'i. They came with small crab hitch-hiker who likes to hide in a small growth on the rock.

I'm currently allowing my tank to cycle and researching what I'd like to put in it. Originally I thought I would only collect fish that were endemic to Hawaii, however, now I think my goal is to only stock the aquarium with fish collected from Hawaiian waters. I'll ask more specific questions in another forum, but just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello!

Hawaiian FOWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 08:41 PM   #10772
Flipb18b
Registered Member

I’ve been reefing for a little over six years now. So now I never joined reef central. I currently have a nuvo 16 that’s softies and zoas and a jbj 30 that I’m starting to fill with sps’s.

Flipb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 09:36 AM   #10773
Swipular
Registered Member

Hello!

Hi everyone:

I'm new here, been doing freshwater for over 10 years but at the urging of my daughter, I'm converting an 80 gal tall to saltwater.

So, just learning about all the difference with saltwater and hanging out here soaking up all the knowledge.

Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 03:29 PM   #10774
Kat_Ram2003
Registered Member

Newbie!

Hi there, I've been a fish nerd my entire life, starting out with tanks when I was 13 or so....now that I'm approaching my late 40's, I figure it's time to go for my goal of having a reef tank - I've been fascinated with them forever!
So, I'm starting with a 50 gal cube tank, not drilled, going to start with a canister filter, and see where my addiction takes me, lol! In the research stage now...so much to learn, but this forum is FANTASTIC!
Looking at 2-3" of live sand, and live rock, with a few Zoanthids and elegance corals, a couple of "easy" fish, and a good clean up crew.
Thanks for all of the great information!

Kat_Ram2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 10:11 AM   #10775
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

greetings!

First post to say hello, there are so many forums and sites that pertain to aquariums and having browsed these forums as a guest I think Reef Central looks top notch with a great community. Glad to be a part and hope to contribute what little I can.

Tank: 55 brackish (1.005 - 1.010) w/ 15 Red Mangroves
mollies, knight goby and sheepshead minnow (eventually and archer or two)
2 fluval 206, C02 installed but not currently active

iiiTRiBEiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral