Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Johnseye
Reef Addict

CaRx media lifespan and sensor cleaning

I have a PacSun CaRx which uses a sensor to detect the level of co2 in a chamber. That level is used by the controller to determine whether to trigger the solenoid and let in more co2.

As the media breaks down the water inside the reactor becomes cloudy. The level of cloudiness can depend on whether co2 is being reflowed from the media chamber or other activities disturbing the sediment. This cloudiness effects the sensor's reading of the co2 level. The media sediment can also collect on the sensor effecting the reading. The sensor can be cleaned but some water needs to be drained from the reactor.

I haven't owned a CaRx that doesn't use a co2 sensor and suspect this isn't an issue for those. This issue is probably limited to the PacSun Calcfeeder and Dastaco. I'm wondering if people take their old media out, clean off the sediment and continue to use it? At what point does the media become unusable? I have a substantial amount of partially used media that has begun to break down, but is still solid.

It's a shame this happens because once the media starts to break down it's in a good usable state providing consistent element levels to the tank, and the effluent pump is usually dialed in at this point.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 05:57 AM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Imagine you'd have to ask the manufacturer. Assume it's some kind of optical sensor. I use them in various applications and am generally not a fan. Too prone to false readings.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 07:33 AM   #3
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Imagine you'd have to ask the manufacturer. Assume it's some kind of optical sensor. I use them in various applications and am generally not a fan. Too prone to false readings.
I got a reply from the mfg. There is a way to clean the sensor.

What I'm more interested in knowing is whether owners of calcium reactors clean their media from sediment and return it to the reactor.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Unread 07/23/2018, 07:44 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I remove all the media when it is about half depleted, thoroughly rinse what remains, return it to the reactor and top up with new.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

me too ---

Unread 07/23/2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hi John
We are using four core optical sensors specially made for our CalcFeeders and ATO units. They are very stable on readings and can't give you false readings. They putted in special chamber where there shouldn't be any particles/dirt which can make hem not working properly.
In properly configured reactor your shouldn't have cloudy water inside reactor. If you have - mean that pH is too low for actually used media. What kind of media are you using?
Optical sensor can be cleaned however even cloudy water shouldn't affect it in proper gas level reading.
Regards

Przemek

Unread 07/23/2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
Hi John
We are using four core optical sensors specially made for our CalcFeeders and ATO units. They are very stable on readings and can't give you false readings. They putted in special chamber where there shouldn't be any particles/dirt which can make hem not working properly.
In properly configured reactor your shouldn't have cloudy water inside reactor. If you have - mean that pH is too low for actually used media. What kind of media are you using?
Optical sensor can be cleaned however even cloudy water shouldn't affect it in proper gas level reading.
Regards

Przemek
I believe it's Reborn media. Very coarse.

Even though the sensors are in the middle chamber, they are reading the co2 level so must detect how much co2 is in the mixing chamber. When the entire mixing chamber is cloudy from sediment, the sensors can have trouble detecting the level. The sediment can also restrict flow.

The solution was simple enough, I just cleaned all the chambers. I wasn't sure whether the media could be reused after. It's good to hear that others regularly rinse their media from sediment. Now I know that I am not going to waste it.

I should test the PH of my effluent. I haven't done that in a long time.