Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2020, 01:08 PM   #1
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

Rimless reef tank reccomendatuin

Looking for reccomendations for reef ready reef. Needing 36" x24" x 21 but hight can vary between 18 and 24". NOT Looking for AIO. prefer internal overflow within the dims mentioned.

Already looked at:
1.MODE aquariums but they only make external overflow more than 24"... limited space in depth for me..
2. Cadlights aquariums versa and artisan
3. Red sea reefer 250
4. Deep Blue 57g
5. JBJ but they only make a AIO
6. waterbox

any other aquariums that I should be looking at? I prefer rimless but will go braced open top?

any and all expieriences with the ones already mentioned?

noticed alot of the companies are metric plumbing except for waterbox and of course they are considerably more expensive than the others.

appreciate any assistance or suggestions you may have.

thanks

coralcruze2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 03:29 PM   #2
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

anyone have any info. on the above?

Unread 08/02/2020, 01:02 AM   #3
Tastee
Registered Member

I’ve got a reefer 250 myself but another option is the (Aussie) Cade tanks, if they are available in your area. They make a nice 3’ tank, however it is a little deeper than the Red Sea 250 (which is why I went with the RSR). Depends on the space you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 03:37 AM   #4
Big E
Registered Member

Innovative Marine 75-

http://www.innovative-marine.com/sho...ack-p184995152

They have a white stand option and you can also just buy the tank alone.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 04:35 PM   #5
DemonicalSRT
Registered Member

SC Aquariums has a 90 "cube" 36x24x24. They don't have a lot of details on their website but looks to be internal overflow and on sale. I don't know what your budget is. I was eyeing their tank myself as an upgrade from a 40 breeder.

DemonicalSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 05:15 PM   #6
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Also check out Planet Aquariums, made in Texas and I believe they have one just the right size, maybe an inch shorter.

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 10:41 PM   #7
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

Excellent recommendation… I just spent a few hours looking through each and every single one of them. I appreciate all of the suggestions here. The CAI D aquariums are phenomenal however they are a bit expensive and since I will be tying it in to my existing system I probably do not need all of the additional Bells and whistles. Although I do prefer to have the tank stand and sump.

Unread 08/02/2020, 10:43 PM   #8
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

I would appreciate any additional recommendations for any other aquarium tank manufacturers out there that would fit the dimensions in the OP. I do have flexibility also on the overall depth up to around 29 or 30" but prefer to keep it at around 24" as mentioned.

Looking forward to studying any more recommendations out there that may exist.

Unread 08/02/2020, 10:44 PM   #9
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

Any other tank manufacturers that produce a metal stand?

Unread 08/03/2020, 03:39 AM   #10
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze2020 View Post
Any other tank manufacturers that produce a metal stand?
Are you referring more to the aluminum stands than actual metal?

There is this company available that you can custom make your own.

https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

Here is another popular supplier to do some cost comparisons.

https://8020.net/

I believe the pricing is competitive with other aluminum stands tank manufacturers sell.

Ed
Unread 08/03/2020, 08:07 AM   #11
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

thank you @Big E I am seriously considering the inovative marine EXT 75... They have an aluminum stand system which is cool. they don't offer a sump but thats ok as I can always add one... the only thing that bothers me a little is that they dont have any leveling feet on the bottom of the stand. being extruded hollow aluminum there may not be any way to add them... not sure but giving them a call today... I have used 8020 but don't like their door options.

if you can think of any other company I should be looking at that is similar to the IM please let me know.

Thanks again.

Unread 08/03/2020, 03:02 PM   #12
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

#Big E I pulled the trigger and purchased the IM 75 Gallon Tank with external overflow. Its one of their new tanks they have on their lineup. It comes with their APS Aluminum stand with acrylic and aluminum doors. I cant wait to get it now... won't be another month and a half though. Ouch!

Unread 08/04/2020, 04:10 AM   #13
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze2020 View Post
#Big E I pulled the trigger and purchased the IM 75 Gallon Tank with external overflow. Its one of their new tanks they have on their lineup. It comes with their APS Aluminum stand with acrylic and aluminum doors. I cant wait to get it now... won't be another month and a half though. Ouch!
Great choice! I prefer the external overflows as it gives you so much more room. Those internal overflows take up excessive space especially when they're in the middle back.

The only drawback is that you need to do a leak test before the tank is put in place as trying to get at those bulkheads is very difficult if the tank is against the wall.

Ed
Unread 08/04/2020, 06:58 AM   #14
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Great choice! I prefer the external overflows as it gives you so much more room. Those internal overflows take up excessive space especially when they're in the middle back.

The only drawback is that you need to do a leak test before the tank is put in place as trying to get at those bulkheads is very difficult if the tank is against the wall.
Thank you for the advice on the company... A few years back I remember seeing their nuvo tanks online but for some reason totally forgot about them while searching for a tank now.

You are right about the ability to get back there. Hmnnn wonder if there is a work around? perhaps a tool that can get back there to loosen that 1" bulkhead if needed in the future. We all know those rubber washers on bulkheads don't last forever. Or sometimes just coming loose and needs a little tightening. I know there are special wrenches for under kitchen sinks that get into that tight space. wonder if they make a bigger version of that?

Unread 08/04/2020, 08:56 AM   #15
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Too late for you, but may inform other decisions:
I have a Cadlights Artisan 60g cube that I've been running for the last 4-5 years. The tank and stand are great, the sump is just fine. The skimmer kind of sucks. It worked well once dialed in, but would randomly overflow for no reason. I could get it tuned up at 10 AM, watch it run fine until dinner, then randomly overflow before feeding at night. Sometimes it would run well for days, sometimes hours. For anyone who buys one, try it out and see if it works for you. You just need to be prepared to have some collection cup overflow issues.

Glad you found a tank.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 01:28 AM   #16
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

actually guys... Innovative Marine fumbled. after miscommunication and flat out bad 👎 I canceled the order.

Unread 08/06/2020, 02:30 AM   #17
Big E
Registered Member

Too bad, what happened?

My only thought would be they don't have the tank in stock. I know a lot of their tanks have sold out recently.

Ed
Unread 08/08/2020, 01:17 PM   #18
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Too bad, what happened?

My only thought would be they don't have the tank in stock. I know a lot of their tanks have sold out recently.
They advertise the tank to be 75G and the tank does not hold no where near that amount of water. then i ask for exact dimensions of the tank and they round up all of the dimentions of whats shown on their web site on the wxdxh. Then I ask for dimensions of their aluminum profiles on the base as i want to get leveling legs and I get no response from them. Unfortunately that's enough for me to pull the plug. But I was willing to wait the month and a half for the tank though. Oh well! will be going another route.

Unread 08/09/2020, 02:57 AM   #19
Big E
Registered Member

Hmmm, I see...........I'm sure you realize it's a larger volume than you get over your other choices mentioned and the approx. 24" width is much more desirable than 20-21".

So you're getting a 71.3 gallon for a price that is a few hundred less in price than some of the other competitors........still a better deal and it's larger/more volume. The aluminum stand is also a huge plus over the composite garbage stands the others offer.

Most oversea manufactures are going to round up cm to inches.

Deep Sea(Seapora) tanks hold considerable less water than advertised. I have the 80g deep blue and by the time you get water in it and actually measure volume it's holds about 70g water and that bulky overflow box in the corner taking up space.

I hear ya, it's frustrating and a big purchase which sometimes adds to anyone's anxiety.
These tanks sell out fast so it's hard for salesman/info guys on the phone jumping to everyone's questions. This goes for any of them.

I would wait to buy leveling feet either way once you get the tank. Sometimes it's best to try to be patient...........sucks I know.

Maybe, buying custom is best for you as you seem to have specific needs.

Ed
Unread 08/09/2020, 09:17 AM   #20
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

no not at all @Big_E your assumptions are not correct.

1. cadlights have a much better welded aluminum base than Innovative Marine. Most of the other manufacturers I am looking at do NOT overestimate their tank sizes. as for getting answers to simple questions... what you describe is NOT an excuse. Every manufacturer should already have all of the specifications on the web site. If they dont than it should be provided in a timely manor upon request. I requested in email any phone several times and was ignored. On the leveling feet... the feet themselves are being ordered from an online web site that did provide explicit specs. IM does not. so this is NOT something I can just wait to get the tank. itmf you look at cadlights base it comes with leveling feet for less. The reason IM bases dont is because of the way they designed the vertical legs and are hollow aluminum extrusions which you cant do anything with especially install leveling feet. IM expects you to level thier tank with shims and if you have ever leveled something with shims you already know the multitude of issues and how terrible it looks. Try and level any tank after its been leveled dry and then add water. you will see it settles under the weight over time. now what? you have to relevel shims. good luck with that. thats why we should all use leveling feet. now is anything i described above custom? no way, not at all. do I need custom? nope. as you can see from other suggestions here and cadligjts that I mentioned above... there are plenty of manufacturers that offer much more superior qualify than IM. Thats why I canceled since you asked. and the part obout stating one size and manufacturing another are just excuses. when you advertise something to be A but is actually B its called misadvertisement. you either correct the web site or correct the manufacturing to reflect the advertised sizes.

Unread 08/09/2020, 12:10 PM   #21
Big E
Registered Member

Ok, just trying to help. I never looked at cadlight tanks as I thought all their tanks were those AIO types, which I'm not a fan of............I want a full sump below the tank.

I was mainly comparing Water box, Red Sea & IM.

IM does state exact dimensions on their site. It does come out 71.3 gallons so I do agree it's not a 75g but I believe its a larger tank for less $ and the 24" width is very desirable to me over 20-21".

I talked to an IM rep a few months back about their 150g and had a good 10-12 questions and he was very helpful.

I understand if you were unhappy with customer service.

I'm still deciding...........but lately I've been considering Planet tanks.

I have been researching the 100-200g range tanks so just trying to share some info. Good luck, Im sure you'll get what you want.

Ed
Unread 08/09/2020, 05:33 PM   #22
coralcruze2020
Registered Member

I do appreciate your help... thank you.

If you subtract the thickness of the walls and consider that the weirs on the overflow dont even allow the water to go to the top of the tank its ALOT less than 71... more like 65g tank and thats adding the water in the overflow box to be fair. Without that even less.

I had the same feeling as you PRE-SALE. Post sale was a whole other experience unfortunately.

Yes Cadlights do have tank that are NOT AOI and they include sump and a custom base with leveling feet.

I like the IM tanks but...