Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Jetorrez
Registered Member

Beginning my 1st Saltwater Endeavor,Yellow head Jawfish, advice?

I am beginning my 1st saltwater tank.
30g. bowfront tank
Building the tank for a Caribbean environment with the ideal goal of having at least 1, if not a couple of jawfish; yellowhead and hopefully a blue spotted at some point.

What is the best advice you would give to someone just beginning to build their tank?

I am building the tank into a false fireplace that was built in my home before I moved in and never completed, so it will be set flush into the space and I am considering different lighting options and considering glowing rocks. I have seen a lot of different opinions on the use of them, as they are not natural, and I have concerns over using anything that could potentially poison my fish, especially since the jawfish would be burrowing in them.

Are there different varieties? Are they safe in tanks? Especially in saltwater as it is abrasive?

What is the best filtration system?
What is the most compact and still very effective filtration?
Preferred saltwater mix type for Caribbean setup?
What is the best place to purchase the fish, coral, live rock, etc?
I am nervous about ordering online, but have no local sources besides petco, petsmart, and I am very hesitant to buy high end fish there.

I apologize for the broad questions spectrum, I do not have any specialty reef or aquarium stores in my area to ask any of these questions and my research on beginning is just creating more questions as to where to start.

Jetorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 01:13 AM   #2
BrianB421
Registered Member

Multiple jawfish in a tank that size is probably not the best idea. From my experience, they are very aggressive against their own species. I'd buy only one, or get a mated pair. You need to so some initial research into caring for this species. They have some particular needs such as a deep sand bed (DSB). This should lead you to even more studying about the impacts of a DSB on your tank.

I think you are on the right track. Take your time, study, plan, and don't rush. You can find all the answers to your questions in this forum if you use the search function. Once you hit a roadblock in your studies, come back with a specific question and the people here will be more than happy to answer it. Best of luck!

Current Tank Info: Tank Info:140gal glass bull nose peninsula/180lbs+ LR/Tao Tronics LEDs/Hydor wave maker/Reef Octopus PS and MR
BrianB421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Mark9
Registered Member

My LFS has a yellow head in stock, beautiful fish.
Every time I go in there, he's moved a pile of sand to a different place.
Lots of character, but I couldn't deal with that constantly.
If you want one, you should give him what he requires, dsb, coarse sand, not the unnatural rocks you like.
He may be more work than you think.
Just my 2 cents.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

IMHO; Yellow head Jawfish If you ever plan on having corals especialy on the sandbed this is not a fish to keep unless you enjoy seeing your corals covered with a light coating of sand. The second worst fish purchase I have ever made. As for feeding him/her mine not only sifts the sand but also when feeding the tangs nori he will actually steal it right from the tangs mouth, that are 5 times bigger then he is...

Mark

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Jetorrez
Registered Member

I really appreciate the input on my questions.

I know they are a lot of work, which is why I am so hesitant to get one without having some input from people that have personal experience with them.

A local zoo has them, which is how I became acquainted with the species. I know they tend to move around the tank a lot, and are very restless, that's actually why we decided on the Jawfish, as far as entertainment purposes, we find them to be very unique and like that they have a lot of character.

It's good to know that they are aggressive, as I had read that they are very docile, are any of the specific types more aggressive than others? That is a big concern to me. I do want to have some cleaners in the tank along with them, had not planned on any other specific fish, just maybe a couple of hermits or shrimp or snails, possibly a small starfish, though I worry about overgrowth with a starfish.

The unnatural rocks have been something I was unsure about, but thought they could be good for lighting; your input makes me confident that deciding against them is the right choice.

Would you recommend any specific brands or types for the best sand bed?
I know I need a good mixture of thirds of small grain sand, large grain, and medium rock to give them a solid mixture to build their dens, as well as some large live rocks in the tank to create stability.

Unread 11/08/2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Art13
Registered Member

The only starfish that comes to mind for that tank possibly would be the red starfish I have. Someone here with a little more experience with them can chime in, I believe its called Fromia milleporella, Red Sea Star. This would be after your tank establishes itself, I have one in my 60 gallon that goes all over, they only get about 5 inches. I think the minimum space requirement would be about 30 gallons, so you're right on the border. The other possibility is a brittle starfish but as i don't have one, I couldn't tell you either way about them.

Art13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 11:04 AM   #7
boogly
Registered Member

I started with 2 Yellowhead Jawfish from KP Aquatics. I didn't buy a mated pair and the two hung out in my quarantine tank in the same corner with no trouble at all. The ones I did buy were sold as "juveniles". One disappeared without a trace in the display tank but I never saw any signs of bullying and Live Aquaria references keeping several in the same tank. I think perhaps his burrow collapsed in on him. I don't think I'd recommend more than 2 in a 30 gallon.

I don't think my substrate is as deep as they recommend. My remaining jawfish doesn't move his burrow around and I don't have any coral on the sand bed so I don't have many issues with him making a mess. His burrow is in the front of the tank. You can try googling a "jawfish condo" but my guys turned their noses up at it.

It's important to have a tight fitting cover on the tank as they're notorious jumpers. Also make sure that your rocks are not on the sand but on the bottom of the tank. All the digging could cause a shift and cause your rock work to collapse. Many people put egg crate material that you can find at Home Depot or Bulk Reef Supply under their rock structures.

I think this is the Red Sea Star Art is referring to and I have one as well. He is a recent addition and fun to watch as he always out. You should probably wait a bit for your tank to mature before adding one.

As for saltwater mix I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals myself.

For the best live rock I hear Tampa Bay Saltwater can't be beat. (You didn't mention a budget )

Live Aquaria is not always the cheapest place to order livestock but they have an impressive guarantee (Sign up for their sale email). A lot of places you have a couple of hours (if that). Live Aquaria has a 14 day guarantee, no questions asked. But that doesn't help with shipping. Much like you I don't have much in the way of local fish stores. I do have one that has odd hours and last time I was there I was not impressed.

Best filtration? Live rock and a skimmer? Most people don't use canister filtration. I'm not sure if I understand your question. Most people have a sump with all their equipment in it. I'm not sure if this type setup will work with where you're trying to put your tank.

Good luck!

Unread 11/08/2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Fish Biscuit
Registered Member

I personally wouldn't put 2 different jawfish in that size tank. Also you can't put both in the tank because the blue spot comes from cooler waters. Do a search online, there is an excellent article about keeping blue spots, I think it recommends a max temp of 70 for long term success.

I enjoy vodka entirely too much to share with the fish.

Current Tank Info: 65 rimless with Eshopps R200 sump, current inhabitants randall goby, helfrichi, possum wrasse, barnacle blenny, mandarin, pistol, peppermint, & fire shrimp, snails, hermits, & LPS
Fish Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 12:22 PM   #9
steveo9043
Registered Member

by far my favorite fish in my tank!

I had no initial plans on a jawfish so my tank was not ideal for him. 2.5in sand bed, no support under the rocks.

I actually ended up pulling my rocks and creating an egg crate base for them to sit on. (the large pieces at least).

He is a model citizen in my tank. I did have another one before this guy and he went carpet surfing.

I'm currently in the works of a new tank (120 gallon) and I am putting in 240 lbs of reef flakes JUST for my pearly jaw.

ALSO pearly jawfish require the deepest of sand beds for all other Jawfish. (that I have seen)

so if you don't want to have such a deep sand bed you could look into a different jawfish.

1 tiger watchman Goby 2 emerald crab's 2 B/G Chromis
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 03:07 PM   #10
amutti
Registered Member

Yellow headed jaw fish are easy. The hardest part is keeping them in your tank. If there is a place they can jump out they will. I kept a pair in a 29 gallon for 3+ years -- no problems. They eventually died due to a freak winter snow storm on Halloween . . . I'd get them as juveniles or mated pair and have some clearly differentiated zones in the tank separated by some rock work. Good luck.

amutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Jetorrez
Registered Member

What equipment do I actually need???

I can't tell you all how much the advice has helped, I'v decided to start my tank with some cleaners and 1 jawfish, and I will see how things play out, I may add a couple other fish later.
I do not intend to house corals.

We are trying to buy most of our equipment today, as there is a huge sale through petsmart, and I can get a bunch of essentials for much less than usual..here's my conundrum:

EVERY site I look at for step by step, how to set up, building a beginner tank, etc.. has a different list of necessities, could you guys please help me with clarification on what equipment is best for an optimal set up??
(I have the space to house any equipment necessary, I think my description of the space sounded smaller than it is)

What all do I need?

-Sump pump and sump tank?
-Protein Skimmer?
-Under Gravel Filter?
-Canister Filter?
-Wave Maker?
-Powerhead?
-UV light water filter (this is supposed to kill parasites?)

I had been looking at getting an API NEXX Canister Filter, which given descriptions and video demonstrations, appeared to push enough water to double as a sump and as a powerhead. Then I ran across advice that canister filters can maintain a lot of negative bacteria and throw off tank balance. Should I just get a skimmer? Or both? Or neither and get a different type?

Is a sump necessary?

What all equipment do I need to make the tank run well and healthy, without overcompensating or under providing??

Help ASAP, VERY much appreciated!!

Thank you all again!!!!!

Unread 11/10/2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Jetorrez
Registered Member

Also:

Do I need?

-Air Pump?
-Air Stones?
-Multiple Filters?

So far I know I need:
-Heater
-Some variety of filter, which type is the question
And I cannot decipher from all of the different opinions on whether or not I need a sump, wavemaker, powerhead, edge hanging filter, air pump, UV filter, filter timer, light timer, which type of lighting is best for the Jawfish.

I've been researching for months and I've yet to find any site, forum, or guide that explains the benefits and risks of each piece of equipment, and most guides are for much larger set ups or much smaller set ups.

Feeling very confused and really hoping for input from someone with a similar tank size!

Thank you!!!

Unread 11/10/2013, 11:23 PM   #13
austin56column
Registered Member

Start searching. There is so much information on rc.. you just have to take your time and research everything. .. skimmers... sumps... all of it.. you will be generously rewarded in a much happier tank by taking your time and doing it right the first time.

Current Tank Info: 90rr
austin56column is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2013, 11:51 PM   #14
Jetorrez
Registered Member

Austin:

I am taking my time and researching, but as I have never done this before and am trying to be sure I do it right, having already been researching this since June, and simply cannot find any consistency.

I am asking because despite combing well over 100 sources, and not having a good local resource to inquire at, I am at a loss as to how to balance my equipment.

If I used ALL of the information I have researched, I would be buying and setting up:

Sump pump
Refugium
Circulation Pump
2 tank heaters
Under gravel filter
Protein skimmer
Canister Filter
Live Rock
Coral
50 live cleaners
(Or NO filter and only live cleaners)
UV Decontamination filter
Isolation Tank
Have a 75g. tank instead of the 30 I chose...

I am here to ask for experienced help with a similar environment as I have a concern of under filtering, or over filtering, circulating too much water or not enough, and so on.

I have found tons of "How To Begin" descriptions, but nothing that explains pro and con of the options or what options are better for each type of environment. I just want some help from someone that has a similar tank.

Unread 11/11/2013, 02:30 AM   #15
austin56column
Registered Member

There is so many ways. you just have to find what will work for your future plans with tank.. live rock and sump is natural filtration. Any sort of canister filter will cause lots of maintenance, and could lead to problems with improper care. here is a thread I found very useful for info on refugiums and sump design. . http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349443. Good luck and dont rush anything.

Current Tank Info: 90rr
austin56column is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2013, 04:35 AM   #16
Mark9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetorrez View Post
Austin:

I am taking my time and researching, but as I have never done this before and am trying to be sure I do it right, having already been researching this since June, and simply cannot find any consistency.

I am asking because despite combing well over 100 sources, and not having a good local resource to inquire at, I am at a loss as to how to balance my equipment.

If I used ALL of the information I have researched, I would be buying and setting up:

Sump pump
Refugium
Circulation Pump
2 tank heaters
Under gravel filter
Protein skimmer
Canister Filter
Live Rock
Coral
50 live cleaners
(Or NO filter and only live cleaners)
UV Decontamination filter
Isolation Tank
Have a 75g. tank instead of the 30 I chose...

I am here to ask for experienced help with a similar environment as I have a concern of under filtering, or over filtering, circulating too much water or not enough, and so on.

I have found tons of "How To Begin" descriptions, but nothing that explains pro and con of the options or what options are better for each type of environment. I just want some help from someone that has a similar tank.
I have a sump with a fuge, it's useful to hide the heater, thermometer and skimmer.
skimmer is a must.
don't get an under gravel filter.
canister filters are OK if you clean it regularly.
UV has fallen out of favor.
you need the clean up crew.
you need a powerhead(s).
you need live rock.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, jawfish, recommended, saltwater