Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2011, 04:58 AM   #76
rnscross
Registered Member

How are the fish doing?

rnscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 06:23 AM   #77
maik1
Registered Member

I am cautiously optimistic at this time. Not sure when I can relax? Two weeks, four weeks from now if things don’t appear again? Not sure?

Maik1

maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 09:35 PM   #78
tchndie
Registered Member

I;ve had ick a couple times in my DT and I don'Do you have a cleaner wrasse?? If not I would recomend getting one! It has helped big time in my opinion. As long as they are eating well and they are not continuously being stressed out then they should recover! Also feed them lots of nori as it boosts there immune system. As how many cleaner shrimp do you have? I have 8 cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse and it helps keep ick out of the picture!! UV sterilizer is nice but also kills all the good bacteria as well!

250G Mixed reef tank, 125G sump, Refugium, skimmer Bubbleking 200, I am using a aquactinics constellation 7 bulb fixture , 4 tunze 6105 power heads, barracuda pump. Everything is hooked up to my Neptune Apex.
Fish are ,mated pair oynx clowns, naso tang,Sohal Tang, Lieutenant Tang,Achilles tang, Powdwer blue tang, Horseshoe Tang, Indian ocean orange striped mimic tang, Magnificant foxface, fairy wrasse, cleaner wrasse, six line wrasse, carpenter flasher wrasse,10 green chromis, pistol shrimp, 12 cleaner shrimps, 1 blood shrimp,frog spawn, branching hammer, devils hand, colt coral, leather cabbage coral, leather kenea tree, 2 open brain, green plate coral, mushrooms, GSP, orange crush acan 50 heads,and 18 different sps frags and and a couple of SPS colonies. I am probably missing some corals lol!!
tchndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 09:43 PM   #79
maik1
Registered Member

I had 3 cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse but the wrasse found it's way into the sump and didn't make it. Same thing happend to my replacement wrasse. They were both too small. Not sure how many shrimp I have left at this time.

Maik1

Unread 04/21/2011, 11:20 PM   #80
rnscross
Registered Member

cleaner wrasse and shrimp do not remove ich. Only the treatments below work. Of them the 3 most common are Hypo, Copper and Transfer(much less used than the other 2). Everything else is just remove the visible symptoms, not actually removing ich. Any stress will induce an outbreak.

This is a good read. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

"Know effective treatments are listed below. It is recommended that unless there is some exceptional circumstances requiring some other treatment, one of the following should be used to treat fish that have an Cryptocaryon infection.

Hyposalinity - reduce salinity to 12-14 ppt (equivalent to an specific gravity of 1.009) for at least 4 weeks.

Chloroquine diphosphate or Quinine hydrochloride - non-toxic to most fish and bacteria, but highly toxic to algae and some invertebrates (anemones, corals etc.). Dosage rate is 10 milligrams per litre[1], every 5 days for at least 4 treatments. Works best in conjunction with hyposalinity (under 14ppt) [1].

Three Day Transfer Method - requires two suitable tanks between which fish are transferred, then tank cleaned, every three days for a total of 12 days.

Hydrogen Peroxide - bactericide and caution should be exercised, with treatment in a quarantine tank, as correct dosages for individual species is still in the development stages.

Copper - copper is toxic to fish as well as invertebrates, and level and duration of addition must be strictly controlled.

Formalin Bath - volatile, irritating and an suspected carcinogen. Has moderate antibacterial properties, is irritating to fish gills so water has to be well aerated (some fish are sensitive to treatment) and has algacide properties." (MASA reefpedia)

Hope this helps.

Unread 04/22/2011, 04:37 AM   #81
mynameisjoe
Registered Member

Interested to see how the LED's affect the coralS Have you noticed any difference on the older tank?

...subscribed...

mynameisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2011, 05:02 AM   #82
mynameisjoe
Registered Member

Also, if your end up putting the fish in a QT and do the copper treatment, You will want to leave the display without fish for at least 8 weeks. That is the usual length of the life cycle of the parasite.
You may know this already, but never treat the display tank.
For future, you may want to invest in a full-time QT tank. This way you can QT any new fish and catch any diseases without introducing them to your main display.
I don't believe you will truly get rid of the ich without QTing the fish and treating them.

Unread 04/25/2011, 08:53 AM   #83
maik1
Registered Member

Small update

I have finally finished my lids for the tank. The temperature is now up by 1.5 F.

I also finished the lids for the sump, this has cut down on the water evaporation amount.

The splashing noise from the filter socks is as good as gone now with the lids in place.

I also finally finished my LED Lighting project by installing the cooling fans.

I have them on for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour on slow speed, can't hear them at all.

Maik1

Unread 04/25/2011, 09:10 AM   #84
dave.m
Registered Member

By covering the tank and sump won't you restrict gas exchange? Also, it seems to me the condensation on the covers will reduce light penetration into the tank. Are these not considerations?

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2011, 07:50 PM   #85
maik1
Registered Member

Gas exchange? I don't know.
Condensation and 1/2" plexiglass reducing light penetration? That I do know and have tested with my par meter.
0 change!
I was surprised at that, I would have expected some loss but no I have the same reading with or without the plexi+condensation.

Maik1

Unread 04/25/2011, 08:06 PM   #86
Euler Kernighan
The "DIY Guy"

Hi Maik!

That's amazing build, I saw you drilled some holes on the bottom of your tank, could you please gimme some considerations about that on my build thread?

Flying Dutch 700 gallon in wall tank

Congratulation and thanks!

Unread 04/29/2011, 06:01 AM   #87
maik1
Registered Member

My 300 Miracles Tank Live Webcam (for now, this may change) here:

Maik1

Unread 04/29/2011, 01:12 PM   #88
mynameisjoe
Registered Member

hows the ich issue going. Fish doing alright?

Unread 04/29/2011, 04:19 PM   #89
maik1
Registered Member

All but one fish look good, the Goldrim Tang looks bad.

Maik1

Unread 04/30/2011, 05:06 AM   #90
maik1
Registered Member

My Live Webcam, just click on it to look around.

(this may stop if my server crashes)

Maik1

Unread 04/30/2011, 05:22 AM   #91
rnscross
Registered Member

that is so sweet.

with the goldrim, id be trying to capture him, RO bath him for 5 minutes to get alot of them to drop off then copper treating.

Unread 04/30/2011, 10:12 AM   #92
solRNY
Registered Member

the camera is so fun
does your skimmer act up with a clean filter bag vs not so clean? btw, awesome build!

solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2011, 08:11 PM   #93
maik1
Registered Member

Yes at first the Camera is cool but then it becomes a tool/a necessity. If I ever need to know what is going on with the tank I can, right from my I Phone anywhere in the world.

rnscross I will try tomorrow again to catch my little sicko, he is just so quick!

The filter socks I would say have no effect on the skimmer other than keep it cleaner (no small debris).

Speaking of filter socks, it's probably obvious to most of you but for the newbie’s there is a reason the filter socks are installed a certain way.

And this is the way it should look when they are not plugged up.

Thank you all for your help.
Maik1

Unread 05/01/2011, 04:40 PM   #94
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

webcam is sweet, thanks for putting it up!

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2011, 08:20 PM   #95
rnscross
Registered Member

try using an eggcrate cage with nori in the end then trapping him in there.

Unread 06/05/2011, 05:37 PM   #96
maik1
Registered Member

New Video update

Unread 06/05/2011, 06:05 PM   #97
maik1
Registered Member

Glod Rim Tang

After many days of trying to catch my Gold rim Tang I finally did and gave him a couple of bath in RO water and now he's looking great.

Maik1

Unread 06/05/2011, 06:28 PM   #98
Perrier01
Moved On

What should you do incase you need to perform cleaning/maintenance yours skimmer? How do you take it out?

One Bubble King 250 Supermarines.

I had to wait to get the skimmer before I install the sump because the skimmer is too big to fit in after the sum is in. OOPS! Good planning eh?

Maik1[/QUOTE]

Perrier01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 06:33 PM   #99
maik1
Registered Member

Everything but the lower half of the skimmer I can be remove from the sump, I can clean the lower half in the sump which I have. There is nothing on the lower halve of the skimmer that should break(knock on wood).

Maik1

Unread 06/12/2011, 11:59 AM   #100
maik1
Registered Member

New Fish

Maik1