Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2020, 07:43 PM   #26
travisstewart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
proposing to the HOA and getting city permits + getting quotes from subcontractors: excavators, concrete walls, concrete floors...

Wow super excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travisstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2020, 07:23 AM   #27
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Wow, subscribed. Please do this!!

If you ever need an extra pair of hands I’m very close to you in McKinney, one block away from Frisco and a couple of miles from Prosper.

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2020, 02:59 PM   #28
vikinglord13
Registered Member

This is going to be a super cool build. I'm definitely routing for you! If I ever make it to Dallas when this is built I'll have to take some footage for my wee little youtube channel xD

As far as potential predation goes you can look into nets that they use for ponds. Plenty of hobbyists will use nets meant for leaves to keep out hawks / herons / ospreys. They report the hawks will bounce right off of the net.

I work at Aquascape and there are pre-made sizes up to 28' x 30'. There are also bulk options up to 30' x 100' if you want to build some sort of netted enclosure.
https://www.aquascapeinc.com/product...s/pond-netting

I'm not sure what the other pond companies have out there, but that at least can get your creative juices flowing I think.

Current Tank Info: ~30 lbs of LR w/ 15 lbs of substrate. An azure damsel, six-lined wrasse, and black blenny. Zoanthids and shrooms.
vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2020, 09:13 PM   #29
Systemwizardinc
Registered Member

I got the net for my pond it is 16 feet by 8 by feet by 6 feet and got the net on Amazon for $50 i think it has been a year or so

Systemwizardinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2020, 01:41 PM   #30
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMatuk View Post
Wow, subscribed. Please do this!!

If you ever need an extra pair of hands I’m very close to you in McKinney, one block away from Frisco and a couple of miles from Prosper.
Absolutely! Thank you.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2020, 01:43 PM   #31
karimwassef
Registered Member

Predation isn’t as big of a concern since I have a massive cave region... 1/3 of the tank is dark caves...

But if it does become an issue, I’ll use the nets. I have a pool cover mechanism anyway for hail and rain, so this can piggyback.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 04/27/2020, 03:23 PM   #32
rickyb
Registered Member

I’m also in the area if you ever need any help, I’m in Coppell.

Reefaholic #9999889888777444899111558

Current Tank Info: 240G Custom Planet Aquariums
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2020, 11:04 PM   #33
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks Ricky and PM. I will definitely need the help. The glass panes weigh 270lbs each. So even though I'm in good shape, it'll take 5 guys to position them in the concrete.

It's a massive undertaking and will go much faster with help.

Unread 04/27/2020, 11:11 PM   #34
karimwassef
Registered Member

A key to getting this past my wife is that it can't erode property values which means that it needs to function as a real pool for resale value. So after some deep negotiation, I've made some adjustments that should work.

Unread 04/27/2020, 11:18 PM   #35
karimwassef
Registered Member

So the idea here is that one pool is the shallow pool for kids to play in safely while the deep pool is intended for adults only.

The shallow pool will be the reef and the deep pool is actually the sump.

The screened enclosure over the shallow pool is actually the reef room with the fuge and surges + other equipment.

The pool equipment shed against the wall actually has the pool pump and raised ATO water tanks + RO, gas heater for the fresh water heating coils, etc...

Unread 04/27/2020, 11:20 PM   #36
karimwassef
Registered Member

Once I get HOA approval and a couple of realistic bids from contractors, I'll post the detailed structural and plumbing designs. It looks like a human body's inner guts so I'll go through it all to make sure I didn't miss anything.

If you're into construction - I'd like every bit of input to make this thing solid!

Unread 04/29/2020, 12:48 AM   #37
karimwassef
Registered Member

While I wait for feedback from the HOA, I've been consulting with a couple of engineering reefers...

On the topic of waterproofing, I'm settling on a multi-stage solution so that it doesn't require resurfacing... for a decade or two at least.

After the concrete, I'm going with a cementitious waterproofing agent first. That's basically thoroseal + acryl60 which is now called MasterSeal 581 + MasterEmaco A 660 from BASF. The idea is to first turn the porous concrete into a filled concrete:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO9U8S
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KM42F2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYon16oW8kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sea0PrNP-Co

Then I'm going with a 2 part epoxy primer + 2 part epoxy. I'm considering AquaGuard for this:

https://www.aquaguard5000.com/produc...primer-sealer/
https://www.aquaguard5000.com/produc...quaguard-5000/

Then the final consideration is whether to use fiberglass with the epoxy...
I think it's a worthwhile investment in time just to protect against any concrete weaknesses over time. Dallas has a clay soil and is very unfriendly to foundations. The saying is that all concrete pools will eventually crack. So - fiberglass boat inside the concrete boat?
https://www.amazon.com/Nordstrand-Fi.../dp/B01EVYEST4

If anyone has experience doing this or using these products, please let me know what you think.

I'll probably make a small box like this and test the products - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5A7cyq0BY

Last edited by karimwassef; 04/29/2020 at 12:57 AM.
Unread 04/29/2020, 01:04 AM   #38
karimwassef
Registered Member

Got the first contractor quote to run water and drain to the outside for the ATO and sinks... $2250... basically, we're going through the outside wall to a bathroom on the other side and connecting to the plumbing there.

Seems high but I have no idea what it should be.

Unread 04/29/2020, 02:44 PM   #39
karimwassef
Registered Member

The quote to install the 100A sub panel next to the equipment came in at $1200. He's running it through the attic, so that seems steep. If anyone knows what these things should run, please educate me.

Unread 04/30/2020, 10:54 AM   #40
karimwassef
Registered Member

So far, the estimates are coming in over $30,000 for the pool construction alone and that's as a DIY.

More scrubbing to be done.

Unread 04/30/2020, 07:48 PM   #41
karimwassef
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0JMA-xPVfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmFuA60GH00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27xQSwd8ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGk87wNvIQ

a little inspiration... little brown in there with direct sunlight

Unread 04/30/2020, 07:50 PM   #42
travisstewart
Registered Member

Quote:

Where is this one??

Unread 04/30/2020, 09:19 PM   #43
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think it's in Eilat in Israel by the Red Sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eilat

Unread 05/01/2020, 06:13 AM   #44
travisstewart
Registered Member

Quote:
I think it's in Eilat in Israel by the Red Sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eilat

Whoever shot that video was more interested in a couple fish and the sand. He sucked! I was waiting for him to show to top of the entire lagoon. Lol

Unread 05/01/2020, 10:34 AM   #45
karimwassef
Registered Member

If I get another chance to get to Israel, I’ll make a trip there.

Unread 05/01/2020, 11:52 PM   #46
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
The quote to install the 100A sub panel next to the equipment came in at $1200. He's running it through the attic, so that seems steep. If anyone knows what these things should run, please educate me.
Yes, it's called getting a second quote, and a third, and a fourth.

That lesson is free

But in all seriousness the cost of a project can differ greatly based on where it's done as permit fees alone could chomp into that price. I mean here I think it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 just for the permit. But there are sites out there that can give you a range of pricing in your area.

Unread 05/02/2020, 10:20 PM   #47
karimwassef
Registered Member

yup. I have 3 other electricians coming to bid

Unread 05/02/2020, 10:24 PM   #48
karimwassef
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KIbKRKLHM4

more inspiration... sort of

I'm modifying the design again based on the cost estimates... I need to control the maintenance costs and having to do any size water changes is a disaster. Need a no-WC architecture and I'm thinking of a deep mud floor to reduce the actual salt water volume and simplify the design.

Unread 05/03/2020, 08:34 AM   #49
travisstewart
Registered Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KIbKRKLHM4

more inspiration... sort of

I'm modifying the design again based on the cost estimates... I need to control the maintenance costs and having to do any size water changes is a disaster. Need a no-WC architecture and I'm thinking of a deep mud floor to reduce the actual salt water volume and simplify the design.

Not considering sand? Just love the look of a sand bottom

Unread 05/04/2020, 01:18 PM   #50
karimwassef
Registered Member

The shallow reef is sand. The deep reef is currently a lot of volume that has little visibility and just creates a cost burden...

At this point, the plan is to use a few tons of calcium gravel... and maybe blow water through it to dislodge detritus.

There’s just a lot of wasted volume...