Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2004, 05:03 PM   #101
digitallinx
Registered Member

wow! those 1000 watters are huge...did you do all the electrical work yourself....very impressive and a beautiful reef as well as the basement room...i'm sure you received many requests in moving in, if there is any room left i'll take it...don't worry i don't eat much, just throw me a biscuit once in a while.....

digitallinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 05:18 PM   #102
RedEyeReef
Registered Member

Thank you for sharing, you system is unbelievible.

Current Tank Info: 150 Reef, SPS, LPS, Clams, 8-T5's, Tunze 7095 & 6200 Streams, ATI bubble 250
RedEyeReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 06:18 PM   #103
PSEUDOREEFER
Registered Member

... There is a God

without words... wow

WOW!!! There's Some Rock in my Algae!!!

Current Tank Info: 2.5 Nano with 35 watt xenon and cold cathode lighting - mixed reef no fish
PSEUDOREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 08:03 PM   #104
scbauer
The Buff Reefer

nope... no god... PhotoBucket decided to take away the power of god... I can't see any of the pictures

(I'm sure they'll be back up after the bandwidth allocation is back)

-Scott

"Wondering If Anybody Gives A ...."
...for when your thread has 50 posts, and 48 of them are yours

Current Tank Info: No tank. Got out of the hobby in 2011 but I’ll be back one day!
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 08:38 PM   #105
steve68
Registered Member

yep i dont see anything that sucks !!!!

Current Tank Info: 50 Breeder with 250w MH 10k XM bulb & 2 24inch VHO atinic 03,210 gallon Reef tank. 3 250 W MH,MRC CR-2 Reactor & MR-2 Skimmer,150 gallon sump,125 gallon refugium,75 Gallon Frag Tank & adding more water volume every t
steve68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 08:47 PM   #106
partagas
Registered Member

I did see and their is a heaven. Now I just have to remember what they thought me in Sunday School.

Unread 05/27/2004, 01:40 AM   #107
hcrk
Registered Member

Sorry folks, I just realized that photobucket has suspended my account for the rest of this month (5 days left).

I checked my account info and found out that I have had about 25,000 hits in this last week and that, in just one week, I have apparently exceeded my "photobucket bandwidth allocation for the entire month of May.

Frankly, until a few minutes ago, I had no idea that bandwidth would be a problem.

I have written the hosting service (photobucket) to see whether the account can be activated immediately. I am waiting for an answer.

As I suspect that I will run into this same problem in the future, I am considering alternative/supplementary hosting services.

Suggestions greatly appreciated....

hcrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 06:51 AM   #108
gig
Registered Member.

you could always donate to them, maybe then they give you more leeway. check with them...

Otherwise, your ISP might give you some webspace you can use.

Of course you can always post them in your personal space here at reefcentral. That's what I do.

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 180G RR in wall mixed reef moving toward SPS dominated (247 gal total system), 300lbs+ LR, VHO/T5 mix of lighting, X3 MP40w ES.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 07:05 AM   #109
slapshot
Registered Member

Well at 25k hits you tell them to run ads on your pix and put them back up. Darn, I want to see those. Maybe they could cut you in on the ad fees.

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 07:59 AM   #110
Oscar19
Registered Member

Anyone knows when the pics are going to be up

Oscar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 10:10 AM   #111
reeftechie
Moved On

Send me the Pics Ill host them for you until the end of the month, I have 10 GB a month of bandwidth.

thanks,
RT

reeftechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 11:13 AM   #112
Jow13
Registered Member

Once you get your photos back up and running. Could we see some close ups of the BAR?

Man do you have a lot of tangs, amazing.

Cheers

Current Tank Info: Currently In Between Tanks
Jow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 12:51 PM   #113
LHHFMF
Registered Member

You can right click the Photobucket banner, go to properties and copying the URL information into a new browser window and the pictures will come up.

LHHFMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 01:26 PM   #114
slapshot
Registered Member

LHHF - You-the-man

Unread 05/27/2004, 01:27 PM   #115
slapshot
Registered Member

LHHF - You-the-man

Unread 05/27/2004, 01:46 PM   #116
Carl_in_Florida
Registered Member

Unless you plan to get a website or pay for more bandwidth, I would resize your photos. You could cut them in half and make them 72 dpi and you would save lots of bandwidth.

Unread 05/27/2004, 01:56 PM   #117
gumbybc
Registered Member

hcrk, what kind of flake food do you use?

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
gumbybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 01:56 PM   #118
reeftechie
Moved On

Wyland

Looks like a few Wyland’s? I have 7 of them, He is wonderful. If it’s not Wyland I would be surprised. He is such a talent, I met him a few years back and all I can say is I will never own enough of his work.

RT

Unread 05/27/2004, 02:31 PM   #119
RedEyeReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gumbybc
hcrk, what kind of flake food do you use?
Yes, what type of Flake food?

Current Tank Info: 150 Reef, SPS, LPS, Clams, 8-T5's, Tunze 7095 & 6200 Streams, ATI bubble 250
RedEyeReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2004, 02:47 PM   #120
hcrk
Registered Member

THANK-YOU LHHF !!
for the hint as to how to access the pictures while I deal with the issue of "Bandwidth allocation - (2 e'mails to photobucket so far and no-one has gotten back to me yet).

I have, also noticed that, if you follow LHHF's directions:
ie.
"You can right click the Photobucket banner, go to properties and copying the URL information"
but paste it into the SAME window that contains the ReefCentral post that you are looking at, then,

- hit return (to bring up the picture); and then,
- hit your "back button"

the picture then appears together with the relevant text in the original post.

Unread 05/27/2004, 03:17 PM   #121
reeftechie
Moved On

hcrk are those Wylands?

Unread 05/28/2004, 12:21 AM   #122
brad_dolick
Registered Member

what an exceptional tank. i can see the pictures now whereas before i got a bandwidth message. u must have fixed it.

Current Tank Info: 28 gallon reef w/coral beauty
brad_dolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2004, 05:48 AM   #123
Phantom Phish
Registered Member

I see the pictures fine, and have been able to see them since they were first posted. Don't know why...

Phantom Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2004, 11:05 AM   #124
hcrk
Registered Member

First of all, I should like to confirm that I was able to communicate with "photobucket" late yesterday evening and that my bandwidth has now apparently been reinstated.

and now to your questions....
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Could you please describe this flake food more? It sounds intriguing. [/B]
I have been using a product called "Omega One" (both marine flakes and vegetable flakes) for quite some time now. The container indicates that it is produced in Sitska, Alaska and has a crude protein content of 45% (marine flakes).
Briefly put, I think that it is an excellent food. The fish respond to it well and it doesn't appear to pollute the water in the way that most foods do.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdsabin1
I also have some questions if you could find the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated!
1) I would also like to know what you are feeding your fish (frozen and the flake) and how often you are feeding them.
2) What is your light cycle currently?
3) How often and how much are your water changes?
Thanks!
I have tried various kinds of foods over the years including many frozen food preparations. My main food right now are the two kinds of flakes referred to above.
I also put provide the fish with:
- 2 stalks of romaine lettuce every second day;
- pieces of that brown seaweed (I believe it is called Nori and is used in the preparation of Sushi)which I buy very inexpensively at a Chinese grocer).
Finally, when a new fish is introduced, I will add a frozen brine shrimp (Hakiri) to the flake.

Lighting schedule - a total of 8 hours in Stages:
- 1st hour 1,400 watts,
- 2nd hour an additional 1,400 watts (2,800 total);
- 3rd to 6th hours - another 1,400 watts (4,200 total);
- 7th hour 2,800 watts;
- 8th hour 1,400 watts.

I don't follow any precise schedule of water changes. I would estimate that I change a maximum of 5% (or 50 gallons a month.
I know this goes against the grain of expert opinion....but that is the simple truth.
Now, what I do do is make sure that all of the top up water is RO and reasonably pure.
Again, I am certainly not suggesting that anyone follow my lead and curtail or reduce their water change schedule. You have to remember:
- that my reef aquarium is a 1,000 gallon system (800 in the main aquarium and 200 gallons in the sump);
- that I have 2,000 lbs of live rock; and
- 500 lbs of coral sand.
What I suspect is that the rock and sand serve to buffer the system by leaching certain necessary substances into this enclosed environment

Quote:
Originally posted by biodegraded
I would also be interested in how you physically work on a tank that large for placing new livestock, pruning or moving pieces, and the likes. I presume you have various kinds of poles, pincers and gaffs in addition to arm-length gloves? Do you have a platform that mounts over the top for you to lie upon over the water surface? Etc.
I really have very little difficulty working in the tank. I attribute this to careful planning and the overall design.
I will post pictures that illustrate just how much access I have.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gujustud
Waiting for the behind the scene (skimmer, sump, etc) pictures.
By the looks of it, you've got a side door that goes behind the tank. How much room is back there? In the one picture, it only looks like you've got about 1' or so, unless you broken that wall behind it down.
Great job again! [/B]
Quote:
Originally posted by RedEyeReef
Very nice.... how much room is between the wall and the back of the tank. In the pic the tank looks to be against the back wall? Also where and what type of skimmer are you using. Lights, what about the lights?
INCREDIBLE!
I hope to post more pictures soon.
In terms of access. I actually have 2 side doors (one on each side of the aquarium). There is also lots more access via "windows" an 8' hatch (at the front) and an elevated walkway (at the back).
The pictures that I intend to take and post will illustrate what I mean when I refer to "design" and "planning".

No, the tank isn't against the back wall. There is actually about 18" of clearance. I installed a hinged elevated walkway in this rear space (at the level of the top of the stand). This allows me excellent access as when I am on the walkway, the tank appears to me to be at floor level and 18" is more than enough when you are essentially referring to "leg room"
Again the pictures will help explain this feature.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitallinx
wow! those 1000 watters are huge...did you do all the electrical work yourself....very impressive and a beautiful reef as well as the basement room...i'm sure you received many requests in moving in, if there is any room left i'll take it...don't worry i don't eat much, just throw me a biscuit once in a while.....
No I had a qualified electrician install the electrical work. I also paid someone to actually assemble the glass that makes up both the aquarium and the sump.
I did not feel comfortable with these two technical tasks and felt it would make more sense to entrust them to skilled professionals.
However, I did most of the rest of the work and all of the ongoing care and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally posted by gig
LOL!
BTW, that dude in the orange sweatshirt, is that a Fighting Illini sweatshirt? Is that you?
No that's not me...that's the guy that I hired to assemble the tank and sump. I'm afraid that I don't know what was on his sweatshirt...

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftechie
hcrk are those Wylands?
No, although I very much like Wyland (and have some of his prints), the artwork that you see in the picture of my basement entrance hall is by two artists: David C. Miller and Christian Lassen. Both live in Hawaii which is where we purchased the pieces.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jow13
Once you get your photos back up and running. Could we see some close ups of the BAR?
Man do you have a lot of tangs, amazing.
Cheers
Amazing amount of interest in the "bar".
and yeah, I'll take and post a picture of the "bar" set-up

Thanks again for all of your positive comments about my tank, basement and, of course, "the bar"

Unread 05/28/2004, 11:13 AM   #125
BigDaddy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

All I can say is, "DROOL."

BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote