Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2020, 12:11 PM   #1
blackheart
Registered Member

Waterbox tips 130.4 or 180

Looking to buy a 130.4 or 180 gallon water box.

I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and this seems like an easy way to jump back in with two feet. I was wondering what you all think about the lighting system that comes with the unit. Id like to have some SPS but nothing crazy... mostly LPS and polyps. Please let me know if anyone has this tank or can think of better options.

What is the best lighting system for a tank like this.

which tank do you all think is the best size.. 180 or 130.4

TIA

click the red house to see pics of my old tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D

Current Tank Info: Back to the drawing board!!
blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 08:17 PM   #2
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackheart View Post

I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and this seems like an easy way to jump back in with two feet. I was wondering what you all think about the lighting system that comes with the unit. Id like to have some SPS but nothing crazy... mostly LPS and polyps. Please let me know if anyone has this tank or can think of better options.

TIA

I remember listening to a podcast by Saltwater Aquariums and one of the host’s recommendations was to always get the biggest tank possible. He said that no matter how big you make your tank, at some point within the next 3-12 months, you’ll look at your tank and wish it was at least a little bigger for whatever reason.

Anecdotally, I can confirm this. I went from a 3 gallon to a 20 tall, to a 20 long. Thought the 20 long was massive at first but soon looked at it and said “There’s almost no space for corals.” Bought a JBJ 45. It looked monstrous at first and now I’m wishing it was longer.

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Lobster
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
I remember listening to a podcast by Saltwater Aquariums and one of the host’s recommendations was to always get the biggest tank possible. He said that no matter how big you make your tank, at some point within the next 3-12 months, you’ll look at your tank and wish it was at least a little bigger for whatever reason.

Anecdotally, I can confirm this. I went from a 3 gallon to a 20 tall, to a 20 long. Thought the 20 long was massive at first but soon looked at it and said “There’s almost no space for corals.” Bought a JBJ 45. It looked monstrous at first and now I’m wishing it was longer.
My last tank was a 135G and I’m setting up a 215G, so I tend to agree!

Unread 09/28/2020, 01:02 AM   #4
Daniel_Liegey
Registered Member

Quote:

TIA
I just bought a 130.4 after being out of the hobby for 7 year and I'm loving my wb. Its a nice setup the stand is well built and plumbing is pre-made and if you want to add on itd not bad.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Daniel_Liegey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2020, 06:59 AM   #5
Reef This
Premium Member

Quote:

TIA
If you're considering a 180, why not the Waterbox 180.5, with the Hydra 32's?

I just got mine delivered a few days ago, and it's fantastic.

Unread 09/30/2020, 09:23 AM   #6
jeffltodd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef This View Post
If you're considering a 180, why not the Waterbox 180.5, with the Hydra 32's?

I just got mine delivered a few days ago, and it's fantastic.
I just ordered the 180.5 after having a 72 gallon bowfront for the past 15 years. Definitely recommend going as big as you can possibly afford!

Reef This - how long did it take from when you ordered until you finally received your equipment?

I was initially planning to purchase everything from Waterbox (Nyos skimmer, MP40s, etc), but they are out of a lot of stuff. They are currently out of the stands for the Hydra 32s, so I have to wait 3-4 weeks.

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 72g bow-front, Rio 2500 return; SeaClone 100 in sump; Jebao WP25 wave maker; Reef Breeders Photon48
jeffltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Reef This
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffltodd View Post
I just ordered the 180.5 after having a 72 gallon bowfront for the past 15 years. Definitely recommend going as big as you can possibly afford!

Reef This - how long did it take from when you ordered until you finally received your equipment?

I was initially planning to purchase everything from Waterbox (Nyos skimmer, MP40s, etc), but they are out of a lot of stuff. They are currently out of the stands for the Hydra 32s, so I have to wait 3-4 weeks.
I wish I would have seen this earlier, I apologize.

It took about 7 weeks from order to receive the tank. I was also waiting on the arms for the Hydras.

Everything I ordered from Saltwateraquarium.com.. They are literally 8 minutes from my house.