Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2019, 06:53 AM   #1
topQuark
Registered Member

Jumping back in after nine years...

My wife and I shut down our 75 gallon Oceanic reef aquarium roughly nine years ago, after having it up and running for a period of about five or six years.

In 2007 we purchased our first home (in France) and the following year our son was born. At the time, we both had very demanding but transient jobs in academia. In 2010 we accepted permanent jobs in South Africa, but kept the house in France when we moved down to the Southern Hemisphere. Our aquarium was broken down and moved into the garage for storage while we rented out our house in France. The live rock and some sand were also placed in the garage, sealed up with saltwater in a series of five gallon buckets.

Fast-forward nearly a decade and our son is now 11 years old. Our job situation improved, and we moved from South Africa to the UK (purchasing a second home there). We still have our house in France, but will now move the 75 gallon aquarium to the house in the UK and get it back up and running.

After having been out of the hobby for nine years, I've come to learn a few things:

o Oceanic, who built our tank, are out of business(?)
o AquaC Skimmers also seem to be out of business(?)
o A H Supply, who always sold us our lighting, also appear to be out of business

Finally, after nine years in the garage in France, I wonder what our live rock looks like... I've not opened the buckets yet! I'm sure the coraline is gone... but perhaps some bacteria is still alive.

topQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 10:00 AM   #2
topQuark
Registered Member

Since I was on the fence for a long time regarding controllers a decade ago (there were so many on the market, I just couldn't decide at the time!) I'm now thinking Neptune Apex.

Lighting-wise, I'm thinking Radion G4 LED (how many of these units will I need for a 75 gallon? I'd like to have some hard corals).

topQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2019, 10:46 AM   #3
SpiritRift
Premium Member

Very cool TopQuark! We seem to think alike. I tore down my last reef back in 2010 and started again this month! I am looking forward to your build!

SpiritRift is offline   Reply With Quote