Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2018, 11:49 AM   #1176
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaaban View Post
I know it’s 72 hours per transfer for a total of 4 transfer equaling 12 days total. I know it’s ok to do less than 72 hours, but never more. My question is, if I do 71 hours to be extra sure I’m not exceeding the 72 hour mark, will I have to make up for the lost hour which will equal out to 4 total hours at the end of the 12 days?

I’m sure I’m over thinking it but wanted to be sure.
Yea. You’re overthinking it. An hour early isn’t going to matter.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 12:40 PM   #1177
Louis Z
Registered Member

I say ok to the 71 hour mark but try to do the transfer early in the morning , before main lights come on. Somehow the parasite is triggered to hatch at daylight . As for a shortend TTM, you are on your own peril. Now saying that. I have done a shortend approach but with medication during the 72 hour periods . I can’t recommend to you but, this is how I have done it. I either use copper or chloroquine during the TTM . Tends to contradict the “med free” treatment of TTM. In addition some fish appetites are affected during treatment and also some species have shown toxicity to either copper or CP. again that also defeats the med free TTM treatment. I also use the praziquantel and metronidazole (General Cure ) during but not dosed at the same time as copper or CP. I also do FW dips and Seachem’s paraguard dips and only if I absolutely have to formalin dips . Unfortunately some fish come in with multiple parasites thus needing more than one type of medication. The dips are there to kill free swimming infective stages . So not only do you have to be looking for Ick but also velvet, Brooklynella, uronema which are all lethal and highly infective. There are other parasites also that are not that lethal ( body, gill, eye flukes) That may sound extreme and all these meds and transfers are difficult on the fish. Decreasing appetite and increasing anxiety. So it can be done but with great reservations . And do not forget to test for ammonia toxicity during these bare tank hospitalizations for that alone will kill the fish.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 08:08 PM   #1178
chaaban
Registered Member

Fish were healthy and eating as soon as they arrived. Ordered from Live Aquaria. I am doing prazi treatment on the second and 4th treatment and keeping an eye on the ammonia. The fish look healthy with zero signs of parasites or infections. I think I’ll be ok, was just curious about the total hours per transfer... example 71 hours.

chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:08 PM   #1179
lagatbezan
Registered Member

72 hours is the MAXIMUM amount of time you want the fish to be in a tank. keep in mind that this time line is not a 100% science and there is always some small percentage of variance. for this reason I personally used to do TT every 48 hours. it will require two more transfers then doing it every 3 days, but personally I believe the chances of success are higher with it this way.
Keep in mind that TTM will not treat Velvet and in some ways can mask it since you are constantly moving the fish. Velvet is becoming more and more popular these days. TTM used to be my preferred choice of treatment for the past 8 years but recently I have switched back to using copper.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 05:36 PM   #1180
Louis Z
Registered Member

Yes I am seeing a lot of velvet too ,lately I still do TTM but with FW dip in between the transfer. And a modified TTM with either copper or chloroquine or general cure dosed in each tank . I just recently had velvet slip by and affect the fish in the 2nd transfer tank. I saved most but not all. I am dosing as I am transferring . Depends on the fish species , some are negatively affected by either copper or CP so I use appropriate med .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote