Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2008, 01:49 PM   #51
DheereCrossing
Registered Member

Those pipes are beautiful. I saw some in a store in Omaha about 25 years ago that were about 16 inchs long. Oh, actually those were flagfish - are they the same thing?

Current Tank Info: No reefs in my house now - moving...,NanoCube6 freshwater at work
DheereCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2008, 11:38 PM   #52
viveros1231
Registered Member

do u have to buy these in pairs?

viveros1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 02:31 PM   #53
DT's_Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOREVIV476
do u have to buy these in pairs?
Not to my knowledge, but they seem to pair up immediately and are not expensive.

DT's_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 09:30 PM   #54
Psychographic
Registered Member

I just finished moving my two from the fuge to the display. here's the little one, it's about 2", the larger is about 4", but it went right into the rocks.

Psychographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 09:34 PM   #55
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

Awesome, that's a pretty good looking dragonface under those 20ks.

Is that black sand I see there?

Dante_JoseCuerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2008, 05:58 AM   #56
DheereCrossing
Registered Member

I haven't researched the care of pipefish yet but quickly; are the nominal temps for these pipefish the same 'high 70's F' as they would be for most seahorse species?

Current Tank Info: No reefs in my house now - moving...,NanoCube6 freshwater at work
DheereCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2008, 09:31 AM   #57
Psychographic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante_JoseCuerv
Awesome, that's a pretty good looking dragonface under those 20ks.

Is that black sand I see there?
Actually that is under Actinics and yes, it's black sand. This is the smallest DFP I've seen to date, it seems quite healthy and started snicking as soon as it hit the fuge, I just moved it to the DT last night after catching a couple of fish I thought would bother the pairof DFP's. I'll post some pics when the halide comes on.

Psychographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2008, 10:13 AM   #58
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

Awesome, someone besides me is using black sand. HOORAY!

Dante_JoseCuerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2008, 12:32 PM   #59
mollymonticello
Registered Member

I keep all my pipefish at 73* or lower. I know most people keep them at 78* or so, but I know that Syngnathids are prone to Vibrio infections which are particularly rampant at temps over 74*. It's just a precaution.

Current Tank Info: 55 + two 20 gallon refugiums coldwater with puffer, seahorses, gobies, crabs, starfish all from the Atlantic. 90 gallon w 20 gal refugium with Tilefish, Swallowtail Angel, Blue Tang, Clingfish, Naked Clown, Fancy white clown, brachio blenny, mollies
mollymonticello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 12:15 PM   #60
brandyrb
Registered Member

I've been considering getting a couple dragon face pipefish. I have a 40 breeder with sps, lps (acans, chalices, blastos, favias, favites) and zoas. Current fish inhabitants are a baby tail spot blenny and a baby randalls shrimp goby.

I do have two maxijet 1200's in the tank, no sump or overflows. I have a medium HOB refugium and the tank is about two years old. I wonder if they would do well?

I'm also considering adding a pair of bangaii cardinals.

I tried a single dragon faced pipefish in a 125 sps tank a couple years ago for red bugs and my cleaner shrimp killed it upon introduction. I ended up going the interceptor route for red bugs.

Current Tank Info: In-Wall 300 gal fish & SPS w/ 125 gal sump/refugium; 40 breeder
brandyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 01:53 PM   #61
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

No acans, not sure of other lps.

Unread 05/13/2009, 01:59 PM   #62
brandyrb
Registered Member

Well that sucks cause they were the main reason I setup this aquarium.

I have two other aquariums, a 300 gal sps with an emporer angel that won't let me add certail lps or zoas and another 40 breeder that is soon going to house a couple RBTA and true perc pair. Maybe I'll just put the acans in the RBTA/Clown tank.

Have you had experience mixing acans with pipefish or heard of someone that has?

Current Tank Info: In-Wall 300 gal fish & SPS w/ 125 gal sump/refugium; 40 breeder
Unread 05/14/2009, 09:20 AM   #63
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterybox
No acans, not sure of other lps.
favia are more riskier are you 100% on that because I'm planning a 90G dsiplay 210G system and would like to keep my high end's?

CLINTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 09:40 AM   #64
brandyrb
Registered Member

I was curious of the same thing. I looked at the seahorse compatility list here: http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml

and it shows acans with a compatibility rating of 1 and favias with a compatibility rating of 2.

What the compatibility ratings mean:

1 - still pretty safe. There could be some, albeit minor competition for food. The fish will be found in the water column but are not fast swimmers, and therefore, less likely to cause seahorse stress. There are really no issues with aggression to speak of. Corals are still no danger to the seahorses although the corals may contain feeding tentacles (no sweepers).

2 - these are a bit riskier, and you should proceed with caution. Many of the fish will be more present in the water column and may have faster or more erratic swimming patterns. There may be some competition for food as well as a possible chance for aggression towards the seahorses from the fish and inverts.

Unread 05/14/2009, 10:25 AM   #65
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by brandyrb
I was curious of the same thing. I looked at the seahorse compatility list here: http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml

and it shows acans with a compatibility rating of 1 and favias with a compatibility rating of 2.

What the compatibility ratings mean:

1 - still pretty safe. There could be some, albeit minor competition for food. The fish will be found in the water column but are not fast swimmers, and therefore, less likely to cause seahorse stress. There are really no issues with aggression to speak of. Corals are still no danger to the seahorses although the corals may contain feeding tentacles (no sweepers).

2 - these are a bit riskier, and you should proceed with caution. Many of the fish will be more present in the water column and may have faster or more erratic swimming patterns. There may be some competition for food as well as a possible chance for aggression towards the seahorses from the fish and inverts.
Same here I asked the guy personaly and he said as long as it's not a extremely stinging lps even aptasia I think anything that will cling/sting/stick to other coral's are a no no but at the same time I think he said sunpolyp's and duncan's, dandro's are ok
larger lps like meat coral is a question mark

Unread 05/14/2009, 10:42 AM   #66
CLINTOS
Moved On

My tang's are being sold today along with coral beauty,wrasse,anthia,dotyback, only thing left is small mandarin,4 chromis's,2,med nemo's,favia's are being sold aswell
my flow has been brought down to 10 to 15x turnover and salt down to 1.023,temp 74-76F

Unread 05/14/2009, 10:47 AM   #67
brandyrb
Registered Member

I have one chromis in my 300 and he is a bully. I personally wouldn't keep a pipefish with one. Both the chromis and clowns have a threat level of 3.

3 - I wouldn't keep any of these critters with my seahorses, but you're welcome to try. 3's are on the dangerous side. The fish will not only be in the water column but often have a distinct presence. There is a good chance for food competition and aggression. The corals have the ability to sting or typically don't do well. If you're planning to try anything that is ranked as a 3, please have alternative plans to house the species if a problem arises.

Oops, i just read that those are being sold as well. I thought you were going to keep them, sorry.

Unread 05/14/2009, 06:49 PM   #68
CLINTOS
Moved On

I'll get rid of the nemo's too and the chromis's thank's I don't mind
what about culturing amphipod's would a pipefish eat thoose?

are rotifer's too small as food?

Unread 05/14/2009, 07:03 PM   #69
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Codepods.
You want to keep your codepods in a healthy enviornment. My goal is to take care of the pods, which take care of the pipes. I have an extra hob fuge that I feed live phyto, and replenish cheato & pod population. These don't go through any pump either.

Unread 05/15/2009, 04:19 AM   #70
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

here are my pipes that I've had for a few years.

Unread 05/18/2009, 03:41 PM   #71
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:
Originally posted by CLINTOS
I'll get rid of the nemo's too and the chromis's thank's I don't mind
what about culturing amphipod's would a pipefish eat thoose?

are rotifer's too small as food?
Please tell me you did not just refer to some clown fish as "nemo's". Oi! Are you 5 years old!?! Sorry, pet peeve.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2009, 06:48 PM   #72
brandyrb
Registered Member

Beautiful pics Mysterybox! Thanks for sharing. I can't get over how cute dragonface pipefish are.

Unread 05/18/2009, 11:02 PM   #73
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Thanks!

I also have a pair of Nemo's (false percs) in my tank with my pipefish. not an issue whatsoever!

Unread 06/11/2009, 04:20 PM   #74
twinspots_goby
Moved On

Very nice fish.

twinspots_goby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 10:32 PM   #75
wolfman1973
Registered Member

i have a pair of dragons in my 90 mixed reef with two bta,yellow tang,figi fox face,neon dottoyback,tomato clown,fireclown,yellow tail tamerin wrasse,a pair of blue damsels,a yellow clown goby,some hammer coral,various sps corals.none of the above as been a problem and my dragons have breed 10 times. the dragon pipes were about 2 inches when i got them several months ago and are about 4 inches now. now i know alot of people will say you can't have this and you can't have that but keep in mind that dragon faced pipes come from the wild and in my observations,they are not mindless animals and are doing great in my tank!!!

wolfman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote