Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2012, 11:34 PM   #1
kevantheman35
Registered Member

seahorse/sps tank anyone?

I know seahorses like low flow and sps need lots. Just curious if anyones successfully keeping an sps tank with horses?

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
kevantheman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 05:20 AM   #2
timinnl
Registered Member

Seahorse can handle flow from 10 to 15 times the turnover rate as long as you give them areas of low, med & high flow rate. You could look here for more info on sps. I think the problem is the seahorse will hitch on them and slowly kill them.

Kind Regards,

Tim

timinnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 05:55 AM   #3
mtc1966
Registered Member

also they are messy and sps likes pristine water

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

I have a seahorse tank connected to my SPS tank.

I tried increasing flow in seahorse tank and put some frags in. seahorses can take the flow, and SPS Grew.

as others said, some areas in the tank specially lower towards sand had considerably lower flow.

guess the trick is to make sure to use power heads with no large openings for seahorse tail to get in.

this goes against my opinion before that SPS and seahorses are not doable.

but with that said, I just tried a frag ..... before taking down my seahorses ... so no for sure thing. and IMHO, SPS[glowing sticks] and seahorse just dont look good ..... seahorses look much better with soft corals and even NPS.

JMHO.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 01:20 PM   #5
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

actually i was thinking of trying this with a seahorse tank im gonna buy. im curious to see if anyone has done it before i was gonna try a stag like green slimer and see if that makes it.

c.declivisowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 01:27 PM   #6
mtc1966
Registered Member

its not just whether the coral lives sps stings the seahorses when they hitch. stick wish leathers and macros

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
its not just whether the coral lives sps stings the seahorses when they hitch. stick wish leathers and macros
is this from your experience ?

if so, please advice what species of SPS sting seahorses.

I have tried digitata, monties, pocylopora, and stylopora, all were fine.

didnt wanna risk any of my acros, but those have even less of a "sting"

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:50 PM   #8
mtc1966
Registered Member

not from experience from research and trusted sites like this one
tank mate guide
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:54 PM   #9
mtc1966
Registered Member

there are sps that are less risky then others . i just dont think they are worth the risk.

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
not from experience from research and trusted sites like this one
tank mate guide
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml
great, they list SPS corals as 2 and 3. lets see what 2 and 3 are !

2 - these are a bit riskier, and you should proceed with caution. Many of the fish will be more present in the water column and may have faster or more erratic swimming patterns. There may be some competition for food as well as a possible chance for aggression towards the seahorses from the fish and inverts. [NO MENTION OF CORAL, OR STING]

3 - I wouldn't keep any of these critters with my seahorses, but you're welcome to try. 3's are on the dangerous side. The fish will not only be in the water column but often have a distinct presence. There is a good chance for food competition and aggression. The corals have the ability to sting or typically don't do well. If you're planning to try anything that is ranked as a 3, please have alternative plans to house the species if a problem arises.

notice the OR ?
research is great way of learning, but its important to research correctly and understand the info correctly specially if you wish to share the knowledge with others. we do not want guesses becoming facts.

this goes for many other corals on that list.

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:59 PM   #11
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

i knew SPS stung other corals but i had no idea they would sting seahorses.

Unread 03/13/2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
there are sps that are less risky then others . i just dont think they are worth the risk.
not really.

but this is fair, its your opinion, I just think its wrong to come on and say SPS sting seahorses, when you clearly do not know.

thanks.

Unread 03/13/2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.declivisowner View Post
i knew SPS stung other corals but i had no idea they would sting seahorses.
that's cause they do not.

Unread 03/13/2012, 02:01 PM   #14
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

wait im confused so they dont sting or they do????

Unread 03/13/2012, 02:04 PM   #15
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
oh ok!

Unread 03/13/2012, 02:36 PM   #16
mtc1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
interesting they do not sting then maybe you can explain the risks of 2 or 3 and 3 clearly says sting .
i am sure others will chime in on this once they read the post . they do sting and that can irritate there skin which could lead to other problems . its a risk and 1 i prefer not to take . to each his own . its funny you point out the or which meens they may or may not sting . but the strongly tell another poster they do not sting ??

Unread 03/13/2012, 03:43 PM   #17
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

Quote:
interesting they do not sting then maybe you can explain the risks of 2 or 3 and 3 clearly says sting .
i am sure others will chime in on this once they read the post . they do sting and that can irritate there skin which could lead to other problems . its a risk and 1 i prefer not to take . to each his own . its funny you point out the or which meens they may or may not sting . but the strongly tell another poster they do not sting ??

i think im just gonna stay away from SPS
is it true that some LPS will eat a seahorse i heard that from a guy commenting on a you tube video ? and cant LPS sting too like frogspawn and chalices and stuff like that? is the only coral you can keep with them soft coral and algae?will NPS coral be ok with seahorses or will they eat them too?

Unread 03/13/2012, 03:45 PM   #18
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

like what is a sweeper tentacle on a chalice grabs a seahorse? will that even happen? and what would happen to the seahorse?

Unread 03/13/2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
okay lets break this down a bit.

1. you have NO personal experience, and basing your post on a statement you have read.

2. I HAVE personal experience that they cause no harm to seahorses as far as stinging.

3. the statement 3 up there, means SPS and seahorses arent compatible ! not cause of sting but cause of the second reason."typically don't do well."
seahorses are dirty SPS want clean water, thats what that statement mean.

I Will PM ray and Dan you chime in and correct you !

it is ppl like you, who make FALSE STATEMENTS, and send New other reefers in WRONG direction !
its ppl like you, who make more experienced reefers NOT post !

not cool ...

Unread 03/13/2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
i think im just gonna stay away from SPS
is it true that some LPS will eat a seahorse i heard that from a guy commenting on a you tube video ? and cant LPS sting too like frogspawn and chalices and stuff like that? is the only coral you can keep with them soft coral and algae?will NPS coral be ok with seahorses or will they eat them too?
NO to most LPS. they have potent sting in most cases.

I have a "flower pot coral"[Goneopora] with my seahorses too, and that is fine.

dont let ppl with NO experience fool you !

Last edited by Allmost; 03/13/2012 at 04:08 PM.
Unread 03/13/2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
like what is a sweeper tentacle on a chalice grabs a seahorse? will that even happen? and what would happen to the seahorse?
the tenticle WILL sting it.

ever touched a carpet anemone ? same thing.

it wont "grab" the seahorse, it would sting ir, causing secondary infection,

NOT SPS THOUGH.

most LPS, have a large mouth, so if SEAHORSE is hitching around there, it can get EATEN.

there are also LARGE mushrooms, which EAT FISH.

Unread 03/13/2012, 03:55 PM   #22
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

ok lets just say they dont sting(idk if they do or they dont and i dont want to cause trouble) both of you guys agree you would need a very good skimmer and do lots of water changes to keep the water quality good enough for SPS correct? and allmost what temp did u keep your seahorse tank at that wouldnt kill any SPS arent they supposed to be very sensitive to even the tiniest temp swing and this would be a durastic temp change keeping them at 72

Unread 03/13/2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
ok lets just say they dont sting(idk if they do or they dont and i dont want to cause trouble) both of you guys agree you would need a very good skimmer and do lots of water changes to keep the water quality good enough for SPS correct? and allmost what temp did u keep your seahorse tank at that wouldnt kill any SPS arent they supposed to be very sensitive to even the tiniest temp swing and this would be a durastic temp change keeping them at 72
I am not saying keep SPS, you will NOT be successfull !

and I do not think, nor advice others to do what I do ! I have kept SPS for many years, and Seahorses about 5-6 years !

FWIW .... I keep SPS at 72 with deep water angels .... yes, angels eat SPS too...

so please do not get me wrong, I am not saying you should keep SPS, I dont think it would work out for you. but the statment that "SPS polyps sting seahorses" is simply wrong, and I felt like correcting it and not sure why this person with no experience is arguing with me who has it in front of my eyes as I type this

sorry for taking the thread on an extra ride

Unread 03/13/2012, 04:09 PM   #24
c.declivisowner
Registered Member

ok im gonna stay away from SPS it seems like it would be hard to keep both seahorses and SPS in the same tank. im just gonna stay with soft corals.

Unread 03/13/2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
ok im gonna stay away from SPS it seems like it would be hard to keep both seahorses and SPS in the same tank. im just gonna stay with soft corals.
yea that's the best choice