Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2014, 04:21 AM   #1
JonnyDramaFish
Registered Member

Smile Help a Saltwater NOOB

Hey guys, I'm Jonny. I've had many freshwater tanks ranging from 20-180 gallons however, I'm EXTREMELY new to Saltwater. I've just purchased my first 65 Gallon salt tank yesterday! I'm stoked but I still haven't purchased anything or started anything!

I bought my tank used (it wasn't running) - it came with; t5 lighting, 100lb of live rock, crushed coral substrate, 1 wave maker, a wet/dry filter with no media, or connecting hoses & one submersible pump.

I just really want to know the best way to go about this, WITH EASE~!
I've read that I should replace the substrate and liverock because he could have had parasites etc, etc - I honestly don't know where to start =[
My tank is empty rocks are in a bucket with saltwater. (Also I've noticed some spots of red algee on the glass when I got home)

What is the best way to start this tank off "on the right foot" should I scrap all of his old stuff and start fresh? & can anyone on here give me advice on what to buy in regards of protein skimmer, power heads, UV..ect..(I want to attempt a "Reef tank")

Thanks, hope to hear from you guys soon as I am dying to start cycling!

JonnyDramaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

Don't replace the rock just bleach it does wash it. It's easier than it sounds. Then read all the stickies at the top.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 04:38 AM   #3
aquaticaddict
Registered Member

How long has the LR and crushed coral been setting up before you got it. I wouldn't start fresh you may want to add a few new prices of LR. At my LFS you can buy live sand by the pound that's been in a tank for years and years and is full of pods that's a good way to help jump start it. When I started my 75 a month ago a put in about 15-20lbs of LR that I had in storage for about 7 years. I just added fresh prices to go along with it. If your showing ref algae the cycling has begun

aquaticaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 04:43 AM   #4
aquaticaddict
Registered Member

I washed my LR off with a hose then soaked em in SW for about a week changing the water every few days

Unread 08/13/2014, 04:44 AM   #5
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

The term "with ease" is not applicable in this hobby. Start your rock "cleaning" process and clean everything else while that is going on. Figure your drain and return plumbing plan (I suggest a Herbie for quiet and simplicity). Read, read and read the stickies. Be patient, hurry doesn't work in reefing either. Good luck and have fun.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 06:27 AM   #6
aquaticaddict
Registered Member

Oh and welcome to Reef Central!

Unread 08/13/2014, 06:52 AM   #7
Odysi
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central! First thing you should do is read the stickies in this section. There is great info that will make things easier for you. Second I would ditch the crushed coral and go with new dry sand and read this on re-curing live rock. The tank you can clean with vinegar and get it cleaned up nice. I would look into a sump over the wet/dry. Diy sumps are easy to build, if your not a diy type you can just purchase one. Few things that come to mind test kits, refractometer, Ro/di unit, skimmer, heaters. Uv is not a must have IMO.

Odysi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
65gallon, advice, help65gallon, noob, saltwater