Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2013, 01:37 PM   #1
cpb0119
Registered Member

Exclamation HELP with 55 gallon tank setup

Hi everyone, im new to the forum, and newish to the hobby! i currently have a 19 g freshwater tank, and just received a 55 gallon tank starter kit for christmas. Im very excited to get started, and I am going to do a saltwater tank.

I do not have the funds at the moment for a sump, so i was wondering if the filter and heater that comes with the kit will suffice?

Im going to do a FOWLR tank, so i know i need at least 60 lbs of live rock. How much sand will i need?

the fish i am looking at are a flame angel, and 2 clowns so far. what other fish would go well with these?

any recommendations for equipment would also be greatly appreciated, since i am not using a sump.

thanks!

cpb0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 01:48 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central! You don't list the filter or other equipment that comes with your system, but most likely you will need at least one more powerhead for water movement, most likely two. For a fish only tank you want at least 20times your tank size in GPH of water movement, so a minimum of 1100 gph. The amount of sand you need depends upon how deep you want the sandbed. The forumla is: tank width x tank depth (front to back) x thickness of sand (1" would be a good number) divided by 20 = pounds of sand. So for your tank it would take about 29 pounds of sand (48x12x1/20=28.8).

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Bunkerbean
Registered Member

aquamaxx HOB-1 have one on my 55 and love it.

Bunkerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 05:55 AM   #4
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

You might try growing macro algae in the display for a nutrient transport.

Welcome and just keep reading… there is always so much to learn…

Also remember not many if any get things right the first time in this hobby, just try to learn as much as you can and move forward…

And please, don't spend too much, too fast… This happens to almost everyone in this hobby.

-David

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fowlr, fowlr setup, saltwater, setup