Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Fragsnmore
Registered Member

Spectrapure RO

I have a spectrapure RO MPRO-60 it’s been in storage for a few years because I moved. I’m getting back into saltwater again. I’m looking to buy new filters and membrane for it. I’m wondering if I can upgrade to 90 gpd membrane if not then I will get the 60 gpd membrane or is it cheaper to buy a new unit all together?

Fragsnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2020, 08:21 PM   #2
ohioreef
Registered Member

You should be able to, but I believe you will need to upgrade your waste valve (think that’s what it’s called) as well. It has to be matched to the membrane.

Unread 10/30/2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

It's called a Flow Restrictor & they are not expensive at all. Yes it has to be matched to the membrane.

Unread 10/30/2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Fragsnmore
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply's. I will need flow restrictor to forgot about that.

Fragsnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2020, 02:05 AM   #5
Opus123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragsnmore View Post
I have a spectrapure RO MPRO-60 it’s been in storage for a few years because I moved. I’m getting back into saltwater again. I’m looking to buy new filters and membrane for it. I’m wondering if I can upgrade to 90 gpd membrane if not then I will get the 60 gpd membrane or is it cheaper to buy a new unit all together?
If you can hold off a few weeks you can save some $$$ with the BF deals. I know Premium Aquatics will have a site wide % off, usually around 15%. That is when I pick up my RO stuff unless I just can't wait. You also don't have to go spectrapure if you don't want to. Personally I use their 90 gal 99% rejection rate membrane. My tap water runs around 450 and it gets it down to 4 before going into the di. If you have time, it is a good idea to get on your water providers website and download a copy of their most recent water report. This will tell you what is in your water and should tell you if they use chlorine or chloramines. If they use chloramines you may want to consider going with a carbon filter designed to remove them. A high quality regular carbon filter will remove them but the specially designed ones just do it more efficiently. Also since you moved, make sure you have the water pressure to run a ro unit. You would like for 60-80psi but you can go down in the 40s and it will work but just not as well. I had to buy a booster pump at my current house. Previous house the water pressure was so high it would almost knock you down when you took a shower.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2020, 05:57 AM   #6
ohioreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
It's called a Flow Restrictor & they are not expensive at all. Yes it has to be matched to the membrane.
I knew "waste valve" wasn't correct, but for the life of me I couldn't remember flow restrictor...LOL