Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Planetmacro
Registered Member

A. tricinctus pair update.

I finally moved most of my fish to the new place. I've had this A. tricinctus pair for 5 months now the female has grown considerably but the male has stayed small. https://youtu.be/dRFKgpMoh_g

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2019, 07:45 PM   #2
hottuna
Registered Member

love them air driven filters...Old School.

Unread 05/28/2019, 08:38 PM   #3
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
I finally moved most of my fish to the new place. I've had this A. tricinctus pair for 5 months now the female has grown considerably but the male has stayed small. https://youtu.be/dRFKgpMoh_g
Nice!!! love seeing other species of clowns besides the normal percs/ocellaris.

Do you plan on putting an anemone in with them

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 01:26 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The female looks almost exactly like a chrysogaster, only the orange isn't bright and yellow enough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

The Indian Ocean Clarkii Complex clowns are very closely related and since the larvae are dispersed by the currents, there must be some degree hybridizing. This pair came from the Marshall Islands and had I had more room I would have bought several more. My friend gets them in every so often. It is unfortunate that the majority of hobbyist prefer today's designer clown abominations. In the wholesaler's holding tanks, most clowns are dead in less than a week from brooklynella. If I don't buy them within a day or two of arrival they are doomed. But I have limited space. Also, this hobby is dying, at least in my area and the so called environmentalist are trying hard to stop all ornamental fish and invert collection. Just look at the situation in Hawaii. Plus the LFSs around here will not pay $85 wholesale for a bicinctus or $30 wholesale for a tricinctus and a few of the bigger stores are bringing in the fish direct from the collectors cutting out the wholesalers. Those of us who breed and appreciate the beauty of natural clowns should at some point form a co-operative with the goal of solving the captive bred deformity issue and exchange ideas and broodstock. With about 30 species of clowns 99% of us will not be able to keep and breed them all. I have mated pairs of the following species: A. allardi, A. bicinctus, A. ocellaris, A. percula, A. tricinctus and P. biaculeatus (Gold Bar).

Perhaps we should start a new thread and see if there is interest in this proposal.

Last edited by Planetmacro; 05/30/2019 at 08:36 AM.
Unread 05/30/2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Very nice! That video is super crisp too!

Desertoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 08:43 AM   #7
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Nice!!! love seeing other species of clowns besides the normal percs/ocellaris.

Do you plan on putting an anemone in with them
They have a haddoni but due to my neglect it has bleached and shrunk. I'm in the process of reconditioning it back to health. You can see it at the end of the video. I just finished the monumental task of moving 40 tanks to my new home. Fish are easy to keep, anemones are not. I just got a Merten's but it is too small for them.

Unread 05/30/2019, 11:34 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
... With about 30 species of clowns 99% of us will not be able to keep and breed them all. ...
I would think that there are at least twice as many Anemonefish species, potentially up to 100, hiding in plain sight as "local variants".

The Gold Bar Maroon for example should be correctly named Premnas (or even more correctly Amphiprion) epigrammata. DeJong has them actually listed as such.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 05/30/2019 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 05/30/2019, 11:36 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
They have a haddoni but due to my neglect it has bleached and shrunk. I'm in the process of reconditioning it back to health. You can see it at the end of the video. I just finished the monumental task of moving 40 tanks to my new home. Fish are easy to keep, anemones are not. I just got a Merten's but it is too small for them.
How big are your tanks?
Back in Germany I had about as many, enough to fill a single car garage.

Unread 05/30/2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Planetmacro
Registered Member

My biggest tanks now are 40 breeders because that’s the biggest I can carry. Half of my tanks are freshwater.

Tags
tricinctus amphiprion