Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:51 AM   #1
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

HELP - Assistance needed in locating replacment LED Driver

Hello,

I need assistance in locating the following programable dimmable LED driver that I have attached in my post. It is for a LED lighting system that I purchased from a local reseller who is no longer in business.
The overall system itself is about 5 years old.

About a year ago I went back to the seller, and he happly replaced the failed driver w/out issue. It took about 10 min to complete the process. However, I now have another failed driver and I called to replace
it. This is when I found out he stopped selling the units, and is no longer repairing them. He has no spare parts to give or sell to me, so I am left to my own devise to DIY.

I have started my "google-ing" and calling various LED supply shops, but I haven't been able to find the same model. My buddy has the same issue with the same lights he purchased from the same store.

The name of the lighting system is SeaLife LEDs.

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise we will have to purchase another complete lighting system.

Thanks in advance for any help

~Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3830-small.jpg (44.6 KB, 13 views)
ThatMikeSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 11:58 AM   #2
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

Close up Model # of Driver

Here is the details for the driver itself

Input Voltage AC100v-240v 50/60Hz
Model Number - 2G-B1256W-ZN
Output Voltage 35-50v
Output Current 1000-1100ma

Attached it close up pix

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Close-Up-Driver.JPG (28.5 KB, 9 views)
Unread 02/03/2018, 02:12 PM   #3
oreo57
Registered Member

Well good luck w/ finding the Chinese driver...
Really struck out on the internet w/ Sealife..
Quote:
The Coral Reef LLC
July 4, 2014 ·

Sealife LEDs will be doing a group buy from July 7th, 2014 - Aug 8th, 2014. The Group Buy prices will be as follows:

ReefCrest 16 in model: $394.00
ReefCrest 36 in model: $604.00
ReefCrest 48 in model: $674.00

The 24 in model will, unfortunately, not be available for the Group Buy.

All models available for Group Buy are priced $25 below the normal price and are available for FREE SHIPPING as well as available for PICK UP in the Retail Store: The Coral Reef LLC in Stratford, CT.

To get in on the Group Buy, please visit the SeaLife LEDs website at www.sealifeleds.com and go to the Contact Us page.
Not much digital info so far w/ a brief search..

Best bet is to substitute..

doesn't look to complicated to replace
constant current driver
dimming and
possible a 12v rail for a fan..

HLG-60H-54B Meanwell shoud get the diodes up and running.. if the string V(f) is above 34V
Quote:
1.15A 32.4V~54V
https://www.ledsupply.com/power-supp...SABEgLaS_D_BwE

Tell me more about the light? Fans ect .. what do the cables go to.

Last edited by oreo57; 02/03/2018 at 02:20 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 03:05 PM   #4
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

Yes! - I bought it from the "The Coral Reef" in Stratford CT. The owner also told me about the "Chinese Driver", and how he can't get it anymore.

I have the 48inch model. The brick and mortar shop is closed, he runs it out of his garage now. I went to his house last week and his wife said they don't carry it anymore, nor have any parts left. I called and left a few VM asking if he had any smaller lights that don't have working drivers that I could test with instead of frankenstiening mine. (Which I don't want to do) until I know it works. They have not returned my calls, even though they say they tell me let us know if you need anything.

All the tanks in his shop used these lights. I didn't go into the garage this time, just talked to his wife in the driveway, so i can't see what he has now. So it looks like I'm SOL unless I can repair myself. Here is a pic of the open driver unit.

Its pretty common connections (Red/Black) - Power I would assume from either end, a green grounding connection, and two smaller diameter cables (both red & black) that run to connections to the mini mother board inside the case. This is where I think I'm gonna get screwed.

I took this picture when I had it apart, I can always take another one.

I guess its partially my fault for buying a "custom" made LED lighting system from a guy whos ONLY supplier for a driver is some mysterious company in China. I still find this hard to believe NO other manufacture carries these.

Thanks again for your quick reply, my buddy and I are hoping to solve both problems. I only have 4 LEDs not working, my buddy has the entire one side is out. He also has the 48inch model.

~Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3828-small.jpg (47.1 KB, 9 views)
Unread 02/03/2018, 03:14 PM   #5
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

Let me know if you need a close up of the inside of the unit I just posted. I can take out the driver again to show more detail.

Unread 02/03/2018, 03:41 PM   #6
oreo57
Registered Member

https://web.archive.org/web/20150730...ed-series.html

Yea that's going to be difficult but not impossible.
Diode replacement and config is not much different than any "black box" LED..

http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-and...inese-led.html

Try Logan at Reefbreeders..looks to be the same driver w/ lower mA output..;

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...ow-LED-Canada/

your lights look to be re-branded evergrow IT(something)

Last edited by oreo57; 02/03/2018 at 03:51 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 05:02 PM   #7
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
https://web.archive.org/web/20150730...ed-series.html

Yea that's going to be difficult but not impossible.
Diode replacement and config is not much different than any "black box" LED..

http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-and...inese-led.html

Try Logan at Reefbreeders..looks to be the same driver w/ lower mA output..;

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...ow-LED-Canada/

your lights look to be re-branded evergrow IT(something)

Awesome! Thank you - it looks like has the same connections as mine. I will reach out to him tonight - I will post back in the forum with status. Hopefully save others too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/03/2018, 05:04 PM   #8
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

(null)

Www.reefbreeders.com. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/05/2018, 07:42 PM   #9
ThatMikeSimon
Registered Member

OK - So I heard back from Logan at ReefBreeders, they no longer carry the "Black Box" Chinese drivers. According to their website, it looks as if in 2016, they moved away from this technology with the introduction of the Photon V2 model. This might be why the post you sent me (dated 2015), Logan was able to supply the driver, but since then has moved away from using them.

So it looks like we are SOL. This really sucks that after about 5 years, the $600 bucks I spent on them they are worthless due to not being able to find a $25 black box Chinese LED driver. Everything else is OK with the unit. Although I can say the customer service from Coral Reef in Stratford CT has been horrible. He never returned my calls about this, nor my buddies. The only time they actually acknowledged they don't support the light anymore is when I went to their now in-home business and told him about my issue.

Has anyone purchased LED Photon V2 lights from ReefBreeders? If so how do you like them, and how is their customer service? LOL - I'm just getting out of a bad LED "Black Box" driver relationship, and I don't want to fall back into it again, as it looks like its another $500+ bucks to swap out my lights for a crummy $25 part!

I've checked their website but its all 5 stars for every review.

Please reply back if anyone is using the Photon V2 from ReefBreeders

~Mike

Tags
driver, failed, led, reaplament