Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2019, 07:00 PM   #1
boostd2valve
Registered Member

Dosing on a 20g

Just curious on everyone’s dosing setups for tanks around 20g. Are you using pumps, mixing in top off? In water changes? What are you using? It’s been a few years since I’ve done it with my last nano. I know It’s going to be needed in my current tank at some point so I’m trying to get a plan for when the time comes. Thanks!

boostd2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Jadams
Registered Member

Just do water changes.. I used to do 3g 2x's a week and never needed to dose

Unread 06/13/2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Alex114
Registered Member

Yes I don’t dose either. I change 5 out of 29 gallons weekly using reef crystals when I make my saltwater

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2019, 08:39 AM   #4
boostd2valve
Registered Member

My last reef I had to add kalk right before I tore it down, but it was pretty heavily stocked. This tank is smaller so I was curious if I would get to a point faster, I am pretty heavy on water changes so I will just pay attn to my levels.

Unread 06/13/2019, 01:49 PM   #5
murphreef
Registered Member

I dose my 25G lagoon.

I use a 2 channel dosing pump and dose Alk / CA 4X's daily @ 3ml each dose. So a total of 12ml of each daily. I also dose daily (sometimes I forget but usually daily) of the Red Sea Coral Colors A,B,C&D .5ml of each daily.

I have a tank full of everything from a clam to sps and various LPS/Softies.

In no way could I keep up with the demands via WC's. I actually only do a WC maybe once every 3-4 weeks or so.

My alk stays around 7.8dkh and CA around 440ppm.

It all depends on what you have in the tank and that will dictate on what you can get away with.

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 04:59 AM   #6
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

I bought 1 pack of 10ml syringes online and fill 5 with my daily ALK dose and 5 with the daily CAL. I tap in a few ml of each as I pass the tank each day. Couldn’t be more simple or less expensive. I have a 4 channel I used on a larger tank but simple is better for me.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 06:19 AM   #7
bitwise
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
It all depends on what you have in the tank and that will dictate on what you can get away with.
In my somewhat limited experience, I've found this to be true. I use a ReefKeeper Lite for a controller, and 2 BRS 2 part dosers on my Red Sea Reefer 170. For the actual solutions I use ESV B-Iconic 2-Part, which removes the need for me to manually mixing powders.

Unread 06/17/2019, 04:27 PM   #8
keithrett
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwise View Post
In my somewhat limited experience, I've found this to be true. I use a ReefKeeper Lite for a controller, and 2 BRS 2 part dosers on my Red Sea Reefer 170. For the actual solutions I use ESV B-Iconic 2-Part, which removes the need for me to manually mixing powders.
+1

I've been using the ReefKeeper, BRS dosers, and ESV 2-part for well over 7+ years on my nano aquariums.

keithrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2019, 07:10 AM   #9
boostd2valve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
I dose my 25G lagoon.

I use a 2 channel dosing pump and dose Alk / CA 4X's daily @ 3ml each dose. So a total of 12ml of each daily. I also dose daily (sometimes I forget but usually daily) of the Red Sea Coral Colors A,B,C&D .5ml of each daily.

I have a tank full of everything from a clam to sps and various LPS/Softies.

In no way could I keep up with the demands via WC's. I actually only do a WC maybe once every 3-4 weeks or so.

My alk stays around 7.8dkh and CA around 440ppm.

Yes exactly, 28g nano was lps/sps heavy. I told myself I was NOT taking this tank overboard like my last, BUT you know this hobby lol. I kinda want to prepare because I have a feeling the time will come. I want to have a idea of what I need to setup. Thanks!

Unread 06/21/2019, 07:13 AM   #10
boostd2valve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusinjimbo View Post
I bought 1 pack of 10ml syringes online and fill 5 with my daily ALK dose and 5 with the daily CAL. I tap in a few ml of each as I pass the tank each day. Couldn’t be more simple or less expensive. I have a 4 channel I used on a larger tank but simple is better for me.
This is a great idea, very simple. Is this on you evo? Is there any shock involved, I assume it is just the same as what the auto will dose just hands on. What do you do when you are on vacation or away from the tank for a week? Thanks!

Unread 07/01/2019, 04:50 AM   #11
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

My animal population demands human attention while I’m on vacation so a neighbor drops by daily to feed the cat and check the tank (food and dosing). I actually have a dosing pump but adding all the automatic equipment and associated cords, tubing and media containers is too much for my display preferences.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 08:16 AM   #12
frugalreefer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd2valve View Post
Just curious on everyone’s dosing setups for tanks around 20g. Are you using pumps, mixing in top off? In water changes? What are you using? It’s been a few years since I’ve done it with my last nano. I know It’s going to be needed in my current tank at some point so I’m trying to get a plan for when the time comes. Thanks!

My setup consists of a Bubble Magus doser which doses 2part(Carbocalcium and Mag) and kalk for ato.

The kalk is setup to match the daily evaporation rate and micro doses every 2min using Reefkeeper lite controller.

I have a separate ato with rodi which runs only in winter when the air is dry.

-ECOTECH MP-10
frugalreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 04:57 PM   #13
FishyBiz
Registered Member

If your tank is heavily stocked you will have to dose. Water changes alone cant keep up with the demands. I dose two part on my 20 gallon.

Current Tank Info: 20 Gallon Rimless
FishyBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 01:00 PM   #14
amutti
Registered Member

kalk @ 1/2 tsp/gallon in top off water and 1-ish gallon water changes twice a week on my Fusion Nano 10.

amutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2019, 08:25 AM   #15
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Im running a 20 gal nano & am curious what you all do when the corals just simply get too large. Do you A: frag them down & trade/sell to LFS or B just remove & sell/trade and add small different frags for a change of pace? Im pondering what ill be doing down the rd.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2019, 10:20 PM   #16
greekspec
Registered Member

37 gal Oceanic cube, Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt, All for Reef and Zootonic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg +LGPGtRgRzOqXcegGcU8KQ.jpg (84.1 KB, 8 views)
greekspec is offline   Reply With Quote