Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 07:29 AM   #1
flgoose
Registered Member

Upgrading lights and need opinion

I desperately need to upgrade my lights but of course I'm on a budget. After much research, I narrowed down to the Viparspectra 165 watts. (link below). I read reviews and recommendation all over the net and they are rated pretty high. Also compared to others in the same price range the come up on top. I also read all the reviews on amazon from people that bought them and most of them are favorable. Most recommend to use them on below 50% intensity as they are really bright. The PAR looks to be pretty good all the way down for my tank depth. By the reviews, customer service is excellent and fast responding.

I'm planning on using 2 of them.

Now, I have a 48 inch wide 90 gal with a canopy. I have a total of 14 inch from the top of the canopy to the water. these lights are 2.4 inch thick I figure I can leave a couple inches above them for ventilation and it should leave me about 10 inches from the lights to the water.

I am looking for opinions before I get them.

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...rum+Reef+Coral

Current Tank Info: Starting over with 90 gal tank
flgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 08:03 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

All you wrote sounds just fine..
Pull the trigger...

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:26 AM   #3
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Same thing, but cheaper if ya need 2 units

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Mars-A...-/370858771177

Same company as Mars Hydro. The Mars Aqua is their aquarium line of products. I haven't used them. I do know a lot of people in Colorado who were using their Mars Hydro for "gardening" and they appeared to work great. I believe they're UL listed as well.

LPS_Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 09:29 AM   #4
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
All you wrote sounds just fine..
Pull the trigger...
Too easy man!! Muddy it up!! Gotta keep it overly expensive and confusing in this hobby.

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:32 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPS_Blasto View Post
but usually UL listed
@LPS_Blasto
So me the proof in that please..
I've looked.. and I have access to multiple NTRL listing databases..
Stating UL listed in the description is not a replacement for a proper approval..

They are relying on the lack of knowledge of their customers in order to improve their sales and suggest a safer product.. That is why I will NOT recommend Mars Aqua going forward.. They are committing fraud..

They only mention this..
Quote:
UL certification wires inside the panel. 100% safe! You may check numbers on the wires with that on UL website
So the wire is UL certified.. But big deal.. That doesn't mean squat..
Thats like saying because your headlights are DOT certified that the entire car is... A single component approval does not equal entire product approval..

A company that has a real UL listing will happily share their UL file number..
Those that don't are likely lying..

So far I have not been able to find any valid approval for those lights as a whole and have filed a complain both with UL and Amazon..

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:34 AM   #6
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
@LPS_Blasto
So me the proof in that please..
I've looked.. and I have access to multiple NTRL listing databases..
Stating UL listed in the description is not a replacement for a proper approval..

They are relying on the lack of knowledge of their customers in order to improve their sales and suggest a safer product.. That is why I will NOT recommend Mars Aqua going forward.. They are committing fraud..

They only mention this..

So the wire is UL certified.. But big deal.. That doesn't mean squat..

A company that has a real UL listing will happily share their UL file number..
Those that don't are likely lying..
I was going off their descriptions I'd read in the past/ Looking at the link, I see no mention of UL listing now. My bad.

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:44 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
I was going off their descriptions I'd read in the past/ Looking at the link, I see no mention of UL listing now. My bad.
Yeah... deceptive isn't it..
They still imply UL approval in some of their listings..
But they also state its just the wires/cords later in the listing so they can "legal" out of it.. That IMO is shady and as you see yourself leads customers to think they are..

And yes to all the lawyers out there.. Yes.. The customers "should" know better.. but they don't and they (and many other companies) are taking advantage of that.. Prey on the stupidity..

Note: my comment about stupidity is not directed at any member of this site.. (See this world we live in makes me need to do that crap)..

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:25 AM   #8
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgoose View Post
I desperately need to upgrade my lights but of course I'm on a budget. After much research, I narrowed down to the Viparspectra 165 watts. (link below). I read reviews and recommendation all over the net and they are rated pretty high. Also compared to others in the same price range the come up on top. I also read all the reviews on amazon from people that bought them and most of them are favorable. Most recommend to use them on below 50% intensity as they are really bright. The PAR looks to be pretty good all the way down for my tank depth. By the reviews, customer service is excellent and fast responding.

I'm planning on using 2 of them.

Now, I have a 48 inch wide 90 gal with a canopy. I have a total of 14 inch from the top of the canopy to the water. these lights are 2.4 inch thick I figure I can leave a couple inches above them for ventilation and it should leave me about 10 inches from the lights to the water.

I am looking for opinions before I get them.

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...rum+Reef+Coral
I think this is a solid plan. I think that the spectrums and features included in the Viparspectra make it one of the best CBB's.

Quote:
Same thing, but cheaper if ya need 2 units

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Mars-A...-/370858771177

Same company as Mars Hydro. The Mars Aqua is their aquarium line of products. I haven't used them. I do know a lot of people in Colorado who were using their Mars Hydro for "gardening" and they appeared to work great. I believe they're UL listed as well.
I actually prefer the Viparspectra to the Mars Aqua because of the blues used. The mars Aqua uses only one blue spectrum in their light. Viparspectra has a more solid mix. It also has more features and a single cord.

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:39 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use two VISPARSPECTRA 165watts, running 30 white, 60 blue, 2 years, well made and real quiet, so quiet I am scared the fan has stopped.

You will need to leave about 3 inches between top of LED and underneath you canopy as the power cord comes out the top and you need to allow for Ventilation so your light is going to end up about 8” above water. I have to keep mine at 14” above water as closer means the light is too narrow
They are designed to be hung from above and come with hanging out,

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:33 PM   #10
flgoose
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments.

I look at the mars aqua as one of my choices but I did read in several places about the UL approved thing. That alone turned me off. I also read about the noisy fans. I also read on 2 to 3 years and fail as well. those are the reason I ruled that one out.

On the Viparspectra I read of someone not liking the timer and replaced it with something else. They mention how well built and solid was on the inside and even recommended the lights.

Price difference is not that much for more of a piece of mind. So far I'm still leaning on getting the viparspectra.

Unread 08/17/2018, 12:52 PM   #11
flgoose
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I use two VISPARSPECTRA 165watts, running 30 white, 60 blue, 2 years, well made and real quiet, so quiet I am scared the fan has stopped.

You will need to leave about 3 inches between top of LED and underneath you canopy as the power cord comes out the top and you need to allow for Ventilation so your light is going to end up about 8” above water. I have to keep mine at 14” above water as closer means the light is too narrow
They are designed to be hung from above and come with hanging out,
I did look at the power cord off the top. Looks like they come with a 90 degrees plug and since the outlet is recessed like on pc's, I wouldn't think it require more that a couple inches to clear it. As for ventilation, I have 4 4" fans on the canopy. 2 in 2 out. They are at both ends high on the back wall of the canopy. they were enough to cool off 3 400 watts metal halide on my old 300 gal. there is a lot of air movement inside the canopy so I think that couple inches of clearance should be ok. However I was worrying about 10 inches from the surface not being enough.

The specs say Max Coverage at 8" Height: 30x24”, Core Coverage at 8" Height: 24x24”. By these specs I shouldn't experience weird coverage at 10"

Unread 08/17/2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
I did look at the power cord off the top. Looks like they come with a 90 degrees plug and since the outlet is recessed like on pc's, I wouldn't think it require more that a couple inches to clear it. As for ventilation, I have 4 4" fans on the canopy. 2 in 2 out. They are at both ends high on the back wall of the canopy. they were enough to cool off 3 400 watts metal halide on my old 300 gal. there is a lot of air movement inside the canopy so I think that couple inches of clearance should be ok. However I was worrying about 10 inches from the surface not being enough.

The specs say Max Coverage at 8" Height: 30x24”, Core Coverage at 8" Height: 24x24”. By these specs I shouldn't experience weird coverage at 10"
Good research, your good to go
The timers are independent and appear to lose about 2-3 minutes per month, yup that is true, doesn't bother me, easy to set.
So far, been happy with the results, 24 months, about 50 ish hand size corals in a 70g including a nem, 3 clams (one maxi) about 4 Acros, all thrive under this light.

Good luck!

Unread 08/17/2018, 08:42 PM   #13
flgoose
Registered Member

Thanks for all you're input. I did pull the trigger on these lights. I guess we will see once I get them and install them.

Unread 08/18/2018, 06:20 AM   #14
flgoose
Registered Member

I had found these lights on Ebay for 225 for 2 of them. Amazon price was 238 for 2 of them. it took a few times looking at them to realize that even though they were same lights on the title, they were different so I email the vendor ( wich it turned out to be Viparspectra customer service. here is how it went

Me : Are these the 2018 models?
Viparspectra : Dear friend,

Thanks for your message.

These models are not the 2018 models but they would be upgraded in the future. If you are interested in them, you could purchase them.

Any questions, please feel free to contact us if there's any thing we could help.

Have a nice day.

Yours sincerely,
Ruby
VIPARSPECTRA Customer Service

Me: thank you for responding. I'm not sure the differences between these and the 2018 models but in my research on them there was some kind of upgrade to them. Also I don't understand why you said they will be upgraded in the future. are they upgradable? As of right now for 15 dolls more I can get what I believe the 2018 version on amazon.com so tell me what is the difference in them?

Viparspectra : Hi friend,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, you are right. This model is upgraded from March, 2018. Sincerely apology for my last message, which made you confused.
Why we would say the items would be upgraded in the future that is because the engineers would try their best to design the ligths to meet the customers' needs. So the lights would be upgraded if needed. Sincerely hope this could not make you confused.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
Ruby
VIPARSPECTRA Customer Service

I was still confused with the last email but by the time I got it, I already bought them on amazon. The last email lead me to believe that if you have the older ones and ask for it, they might replace them with the newer version. Maybe I'm wrong but it might be worth a shot

Unread 08/19/2018, 06:07 PM   #15
flgoose
Registered Member

I got the lights today and boy they are really good looking lights. Tested them out on the table and they are really bright. I set one at 5% and the other at 20% on both channels. And they are very bright. Im hapoy with them. Time to install themin the cannopy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Unread 08/23/2018, 03:29 PM   #16
Vrod2169
Registered Member

If I may ask I'm sorry n a similar situation and a local pet store in Miami showed me that almost all the lights they used are mars aqua. I have a fowlr tank, 300 gallon. Would you say these would work and give a good light for this size tank. They told me that 3 units should do the trick. Appreciate any feedback as I too am looking to upgrade old old lights. Thanks for any feedback.

Vrod2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 03:44 PM   #17
Jason9488
Registered Member

I have 2 mars aqua on my 90 reed and they work great

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 03:46 PM   #18
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod2169 View Post
If I may ask I'm sorry n a similar situation and a local pet store in Miami showed me that almost all the lights they used are mars aqua. I have a fowlr tank, 300 gallon. Would you say these would work and give a good light for this size tank. They told me that 3 units should do the trick. Appreciate any feedback as I too am looking to upgrade old old lights. Thanks for any feedback.
With a FOWLR tank, you can use whatever lights you want. If you have a canopy, I would just get some inexpensive ship lights and then get tubes to give you the look you want. Nothing special needed for FOWLR.

Unread 08/24/2018, 02:57 PM   #19
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
I got the lights today and boy they are really good looking lights. Tested them out on the table and they are really bright. I set one at 5% and the other at 20% on both channels. And they are very bright. Im hapoy with them. Time to install themin the cannopy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Can you post a pic on how you installed on your canopy? I have the same set up and considering same lights. is wifi included in this CBB?

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 06:18 PM   #20
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Visparspectra has no WiFi, just a timer for blue and white, intensity blue and white.
Simple but effective.

Unread 08/26/2018, 09:37 AM   #21
Vrod2169
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to eventually add softies like polyps and mushrooms for 2019 to expand from the fowlr tank. Mars aqua was recommended by LFS but looking now at the viparspectra too. Like the color the mars seemed to give at the LFS on the fish and rock.

Vrod2169 is offline   Reply With Quote