Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/08/2011, 04:36 PM   #26
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaovieira View Post
Unfortunately i dont have a refuge so i am afraid mandarim may be a problem regarding feeding habits. Do you think is it still possible to have one (i was thinking buying one eating prepared food...) ?

Thanks for all help.
I still think it would work. Just give it seven months. Eating prepared food is irrelevant as that would not sustain it.

Unread 09/08/2011, 04:38 PM   #27
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands View Post
Thank you,
I still have some of my dreams intact.
But to revise and retry then:

Bubble Tip Anemone I am running 3 - 250w MH, I assume that is sufficient lighting over a 6' tank.

Should be fine

Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (pair)
Chevron Tang
Tomini Tang
Mandarin Drogonette I have the opportunity to get one that was in this same tank previous to me buying and moving it .. It is also eating pellet food -- which I gather is a best case scenario

Eating pellet food is nice but not sufficient. A 120 gallon mature tank should be fine

Randall's Pistol Shrimp
Black-Rayed Shrimp Goby (perhaps a pair, with there symbiotic pistol shrimp)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Schooling Bannerfish Would 3 of these be suitable in 120g with the other fish already mentioned?

Well, with your two tangs, that is five largish fish. The tank will look crowded

Thank you for the clarity.
Travis

Unread 09/08/2011, 10:43 PM   #28
mcfa2403
Registered Member

Ok so this will be my third tank but by far my largest (first was 75g and second was 28g). This will be mostly an lps/sps tank with 180g tank and 100g sump. I plan to take this tank slow and want to make sure this is well thought out. That said please weigh in on these fish. I am not afraid of criticism so let me know if its too many fish or wrong species for this tank.

Tangs: 1 orange shoulder, 1 powder blue tang (I am aware of the difficulty), 1 convict tang (or 1 more oarnge shoulder), 1 tomini tang
------the first three would be added together
Anthias: 3 squarespot anthias (1 male, 2 female)

Angels: 1 multicolor centropyge

Dragonet: 1 mandarin

Wrasse: 1 fairy wrasse (one of the smaller species reccomendations welcome)

Other fish considered: semilarvatus butterfly, 4 bangai cardinals

Unread 09/08/2011, 11:10 PM   #29
Borchers
Reefer Who needs Help!!!

Here I go.
120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump and slow flow Fuge.
140 lbs LR and 30 pounds rubble in Fuge. 110 pounds combined Sand in system
Euroreef CS-160 with Dolphin pump. Rated at 300 gallons
250 MH x2 minis, 110 watts VHOx2, 24 3 watt cree led. Royal blues.
ATO, MP40, 4#4's and a squid return system. ACJr. On all.

Tank is 2 months out and 2 weeks past cycle.

So much info on tank to show what I'm packing.
In the tank now
- Acanthurus bahianus......gift from a friend
1 chromi
1 unknown tang. Very beautiful. Looks.like a bristle tooth.

Wish list.
Purple Tang
2 fairy Wrasse possibly mated pair of Rhomboids
Pair ORA snowflakes
Blood Shrimp and skunk cleaner
1 blue spot jaw fish
Mandarin Goby.

"You only get one spark of insanity, never lose it"
Robin Williams you will be missed.

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon Cadlights Artisan II Cube , EcoTech Radion Gen 4 Pro, Ecotech MP10QD, Vertex Omega 150i skimmer, EcoTech Reeflink, JBJ Autoe Top-off, Neptune Systems Apex and lots of other small goodies!
Unread 09/09/2011, 05:15 AM   #30
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfa2403 View Post
Ok so this will be my third tank but by far my largest (first was 75g and second was 28g). This will be mostly an lps/sps tank with 180g tank and 100g sump. I plan to take this tank slow and want to make sure this is well thought out. That said please weigh in on these fish. I am not afraid of criticism so let me know if its too many fish or wrong species for this tank.

Tangs: 1 orange shoulder, 1 powder blue tang (I am aware of the difficulty), 1 convict tang (or 1 more oarnge shoulder), 1 tomini tang
------the first three would be added together
Anthias: 3 squarespot anthias (1 male, 2 female)

Angels: 1 multicolor centropyge
A great fish, but NOT LPS safe
Dragonet: 1 mandarin If you wait six months yhou will be fine

Wrasse: 1 fairy wrasse (one of the smaller species reccomendations welcome)

Other fish considered: semilarvatus butterfly, 4 bangai cardinals
A semilarvatus is gorgeous but not reef safe; bangaii cardinals are limited to a bonded pair and four will become two

Unread 09/09/2011, 05:18 AM   #31
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchers View Post
Here I go.
120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump and slow flow Fuge.
140 lbs LR and 30 pounds rubble in Fuge. 110 pounds combined Sand in system
Euroreef CS-160 with Dolphin pump. Rated at 300 gallons
250 MH x2 minis, 110 watts VHOx2, 24 3 watt cree led. Royal blues.
ATO, MP40, 4#4's and a squid return system. ACJr. On all.

Tank is 2 months out and 2 weeks past cycle.

So much info on tank to show what I'm packing.
In the tank now
- Acanthurus bahianus......gift from a friend
1 chromi
1 unknown tang. Very beautiful. Looks.like a bristle tooth.

Wish list.
Purple Tang Very aggressive with other tangs especially in a smallish tank; I would recommend against a third tang
2 fairy Wrasse possibly mated pair of Rhomboids excellent choice
Pair ORA snowflakes
Blood Shrimp and skunk cleaner
1 blue spot jaw fish Must have sand and prefers a cooler temperature like 74/75; prolific jumper
Mandarin Goby.

Unread 09/09/2011, 08:51 PM   #32
jamesbaur13
Apsiring Alhcohlolic

Updated, AGAIN!

So far I have this in the display...

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (juvenile 1-1.5")

- An Adolescent Chevron 3.5-4" long (I realize I added him early, couldn't pass him up... at the fish store he was friendly with tank mates, ate well, very active, disease free). At first he would occasionally charge at the clowns (clowns physically look perfect... no ripped fins or scales missing), but the frequency of him charging has dropped. I think he was being territorial about food and I think some of it is a dominance thing, but I think it's mostly that he doesn't like anyone getting too close and picking at his rocks. Love this fish BTW... TY for pointing Chevrons out to me.

In the QT...

- 3 Bartlett's Anthias at the moment (just got them today). They are eating mysis and pellets. All female and juvenile (1-1.5" long).

I am hoping to add the following...

- 3 Flasher Wrasses (thinking Blue)
- Blue Reef Chromis
- Royal Gramma Basslett

And here's where I'm thinking the potential conflicts come in...

- Starry Blenny
- Yellow Tang

Any idea if this would work and better yet how to go about doing it?

I'm thinking an adolescent Yellow Tang might be best due to the aggression issues that are seeming to be more probable due to the Chevron having an established territory. After 3 days the Chevron seemed to be at his height of aggression towards my clowns. At that time I placed a mirror along the side of the tank. Not sure if it co-incidence, but his aggression seemed to tone down after fighting himself in the mirror for a couple hrs. I'm thinking he will be confrontational to another tang, but I also think if the other tang can stand up to him they can co-exist.

I have no strategy for the Blenny.

Thanks Again.

Last edited by jamesbaur13; 09/09/2011 at 09:26 PM.
Unread 09/10/2011, 05:15 AM   #33
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbaur13 View Post
Updated, AGAIN!

So far I have this in the display...

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (juvenile 1-1.5")

- An Adolescent Chevron 3.5-4" long (I realize I added him early, couldn't pass him up... at the fish store he was friendly with tank mates, ate well, very active, disease free). At first he would occasionally charge at the clowns (clowns physically look perfect... no ripped fins or scales missing), but the frequency of him charging has dropped. I think he was being territorial about food and I think some of it is a dominance thing, but I think it's mostly that he doesn't like anyone getting too close and picking at his rocks. Love this fish BTW... TY for pointing Chevrons out to me.

Yes, that is my absolute favorite tang; you did well to get him while he was available. Very personable fish

In the QT...

- 3 Bartlett's Anthias at the moment (just got them today). They are eating mysis and pellets. All female and juvenile (1-1.5" long).

I am hoping to add the following...

- 3 Flasher Wrasses (thinking Blue) I like all of them. Ideally a harem of MFF would be terrific. Blue is less common
- Blue Reef Chromis
- Royal Gramma Basslett

And here's where I'm thinking the potential conflicts come in...

- Starry Blenny A herbivore so I would wait a good while before adding
- Yellow Tang I would not as you have a tank that is ideal for one tang, marginal for two

Any idea if this would work and better yet how to go about doing it?

I'm thinking an adolescent Yellow Tang might be best due to the aggression issues that are seeming to be more probable due to the Chevron having an established territory. After 3 days the Chevron seemed to be at his height of aggression towards my clowns. At that time I placed a mirror along the side of the tank. Not sure if it co-incidence, but his aggression seemed to tone down after fighting himself in the mirror for a couple hrs. I'm thinking he will be confrontational to another tang, but I also think if the other tang can stand up to him they can co-exist.

Again, I would not. Why create an aggressive situation?

I have no strategy for the Blenny.

Thanks Again.

Unread 09/10/2011, 10:50 AM   #34
mitsurs01
Registered Member

Wish list for my new 125gal with 30 gal sump FOWLR alsmost ready for setup- waiting for just a bit of plumbing

Niger Trigger
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns
Narrow Lined Puffer
3 Kaudern's Cardinals

Unread 09/10/2011, 12:57 PM   #35
NinjaPirate
Registered Member

I've got a 55G cycling right now, working out a fishlist for when it's ready to go. Prior to this tank I've only had aggressive fowlr's and small single-species tanks (Mantis shrimp) so my knowledge on reef fish is somewhat limited.

Tank is a 55G (no fuge, hob skimmer, 1-1.5" live sand heavy rockwork, 80+lb best estimate) coral will be mostly softies (zoa/shroom) and LPS. Tank is covered, so jumpers are okay.

Possibles:
1x dwarf angel, flame or Coral Beauty, not sure on the coral nippiness.
2x false percs (not sure I want to put up with the aggression)

Would Likes:
Flasher Wrasse, either single or group. Carpenter/McCosker's appeal to me.
1x Goby/pistol pair - Would like to keep a plate at some point, so I don't want a pair that's going to be constantly digging the whole tank up. Thinking a YWG maybe, just not sure on how active they are with the digging and whether or not I have enough sand.

Other fish that interest me:
Firefish
Neon Goby
Royal Gramma

So I guess the options I'm considering at the moment would be 1x dwarf, 2x clown, 1x wrasse, 1x Goby pair.

Or lose either the dwarf or clowns for other small reef fishes.

vs

3x (MFF) wrasse, 1x goby pair, + 1 or 2 unknown additional smaller fish such as firefish/RG.

Would these work?
Thanks.

Unread 09/10/2011, 02:39 PM   #36
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsurs01 View Post
Wish list for my new 125gal with 30 gal sump FOWLR alsmost ready for setup- waiting for just a bit of plumbing

Niger Trigger
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns
Narrow Lined Puffer
3 Kaudern's Cardinals
You have some very aggressive fish: GSM clowns, a trigger and a puffer that will reach one foot. I do not suggest those fish in a 125 gallon tank. Your three Kaudern's cardinals will become two at best

Unread 09/10/2011, 02:42 PM   #37
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
I've got a 55G cycling right now, working out a fishlist for when it's ready to go. Prior to this tank I've only had aggressive fowlr's and small single-species tanks (Mantis shrimp) so my knowledge on reef fish is somewhat limited.

Tank is a 55G (no fuge, hob skimmer, 1-1.5" live sand heavy rockwork, 80+lb best estimate) coral will be mostly softies (zoa/shroom) and LPS. Tank is covered, so jumpers are okay.

Possibles:
1x dwarf angel, flame or Coral Beauty, not sure on the coral nippiness. These are not LPS safe
2x false percs (not sure I want to put up with the aggression) They will control 25-30 gallons once sexually mature and breeding

Would Likes:
Flasher Wrasse, either single or group. Carpenter/McCosker's appeal to me.

Excellent choice
1x Goby/pistol pair - Would like to keep a plate at some point, so I don't want a pair that's going to be constantly digging the whole tank up. Thinking a YWG maybe, just not sure on how active they are with the digging and whether or not I have enough sand.

It seems that all of these goby/shrimp combination are always digging

Other fish that interest me:
Firefish
Neon Goby
Royal Gramma
All three are excellent BUT the firefish will not be compatible with a flasher wrasse
So I guess the options I'm considering at the moment would be 1x dwarf, 2x clown, 1x wrasse, 1x Goby pair.

Or lose either the dwarf or clowns for other small reef fishes.

vs

3x (MFF) wrasse, 1x goby pair, + 1 or 2 unknown additional smaller fish such as firefish/RG.

Firefish and flasher wrasses will not work. Sorry

Would these work?
Thanks.

Unread 09/10/2011, 08:58 PM   #38
J2T
Registered Member

Ok, I have a compatibility question since I get differing opinions at the LFS

Current residents:
2 Occ Clowns
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Algae Blenny
2 blue/green chromis

Inverts: Cucumber, (2) pep shrimps, serpent star, ruby mithrax, hermits and various snails

I plan on getting a tiger pistol and either Yellow Watchman or Randal's goby pair (I go back and forth on which one seemingly on an hourly basis lol).

With that being said I would also like to add a sandsifting goby if possible. I have heard they should be ok since they sort of do different things but others have said differently. If its a touchy situation that could go either way I would rather not put any fish through unneeded stress. Any species that might be a bit tame as the diamond's I have seen at the LFS seem pretty spastic for lack of a better word.

thanks again for any advice.

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
Unread 09/11/2011, 05:25 AM   #39
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2T View Post
Ok, I have a compatibility question since I get differing opinions at the LFS

Current residents:
2 Occ Clowns
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Algae Blenny
2 blue/green chromis

Inverts: Cucumber, (2) pep shrimps, serpent star, ruby mithrax, hermits and various snails

I plan on getting a tiger pistol and either Yellow Watchman or Randal's goby pair (I go back and forth on which one seemingly on an hourly basis lol).

With that being said I would also like to add a sandsifting goby if possible. I have heard they should be ok since they sort of do different things but others have said differently. If its a touchy situation that could go either way I would rather not put any fish through unneeded stress. Any species that might be a bit tame as the diamond's I have seen at the LFS seem pretty spastic for lack of a better word.

thanks again for any advice.
I would not do both. If it were my choice, I would get a goby/pistol shrimp and NOT the sand sifting goby. First of all, sand sifters make a mess, secondly they deplete your sand bed of beneficial organisms.

Unread 09/11/2011, 05:47 AM   #40
stings
Registered Member

40 breeder

im setting up a 40 gallon breeder i got from petco. its going to be conected to my 40 gallon reefs sump, the sump is a 55. im going to have both tank using the same sump.

fish list:
2 Kaudern's Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons)
1 Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)

invertebrates list:
15 hermit crabs
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
2 Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

Unread 09/11/2011, 06:18 AM   #41
J2T
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
I would not do both. If it were my choice, I would get a goby/pistol shrimp and NOT the sand sifting goby. First of all, sand sifters make a mess, secondly they deplete your sand bed of beneficial organisms.
Thanks again, decision made

60 Gallon cube, 10g sump, 2 AI Sol Blue, SeaSide Aquatic CS3.5 Skimmer
Unread 09/11/2011, 09:28 AM   #42
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stings View Post
im setting up a 40 gallon breeder i got from petco. its going to be conected to my 40 gallon reefs sump, the sump is a 55. im going to have both tank using the same sump.

fish list:
2 Kaudern's Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni) must be M + F
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Jawfish, Yellowhead (Opistognathus aurifrons) Be sure your tank is covered
1 Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)

invertebrates list:
15 hermit crabs I strongly favor snails over crabs
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
2 Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Needs excellent lighting and mature tank

Unread 09/11/2011, 12:29 PM   #43
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

I am 2 1/2 months into my 65G tank. It cycled in a month and I added a Semi Snowflake Clown. He was the only occupant for 1 month when I added a Kole Tang. Last Wedneday I added a Swissguard Basslet and a Blue Spot Jawfish on Friday!

I am done adding fish for awhile but still like to browse and plan the next additions. The next things I want is a school of fish (3) and a fish that perches on the live rock. For the schooling fish, I am thinking Anthias or reef sale Wrasses. Which would be the better choice to be housed with my Blue Spot and Swissguard as they are timid fish? I would be selecting from the more peaceful species of each.

As far as the rock perching fish, what's the favorites as far as color, beauty and behavoir goes?

Unread 09/11/2011, 01:46 PM   #44
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson1977 View Post
I am 2 1/2 months into my 65G tank. It cycled in a month and I added a Semi Snowflake Clown. He was the only occupant for 1 month when I added a Kole Tang. Last Wedneday I added a Swissguard Basslet and a Blue Spot Jawfish on Friday!

Remember that BSJ are prolific jumpers and do best with cooler temperature (74/75 F)

I am done adding fish for awhile but still like to browse and plan the next additions. The next things I want is a school of fish (3) and a fish that perches on the live rock. For the schooling fish, I am thinking Anthias or reef sale Wrasses.

Well neither will really "school" but the anthias come closest and these really need a larger tank for more than one

Which would be the better choice to be housed with my Blue Spot and Swissguard as they are timid fish? I would be selecting from the more peaceful species of each.

As far as the rock perching fish, what's the favorites as far as color, beauty and behavoir goes?
Well if you do not have shrimp, various hawkfish would work

Unread 09/11/2011, 02:58 PM   #45
bjolly
Registered Member

this is not for my current tank, but am thinking of what i would like to do in a few years when I can get a larger tank (am thinking of a 90 gal) & would appreciate some thoughts.

flame angel or cherub angel
atlantic longnose butterfly or yellow longnose butterfly
small group (3) of anthias - what variety would work?
red sea mimic blenny
yellowheaded jawfish
green chromis
flasher wrasse
longfin fairy wrasse
yellow assessor
a few small gobies (maybe a blue neon, a greenbanded and a yellow clown goby)

Unread 09/11/2011, 03:38 PM   #46
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjolly View Post
this is not for my current tank, but am thinking of what i would like to do in a few years when I can get a larger tank (am thinking of a 90 gal) & would appreciate some thoughts.

flame angel or cherub angel not reef safe
atlantic longnose butterfly or yellow longnose butterfly excellent
small group (3) of anthias - what variety would work? you really need a larger tank for a group, perhaps 125 (carberryi and resplendants are excellent)
red sea mimic blenny
yellowheaded jawfish
green chromis
flasher wrasse
longfin fairy wrasse aggressive, pick another species
yellow assessor
a few small gobies (maybe a blue neon, a greenbanded and a yellow clown goby)

Unread 09/11/2011, 05:48 PM   #47
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Well if you do not have shrimp, various hawkfish would work
Thanks for the input. I run my tank at 77 to 78 degrees so hopefully my BSJ will be happy. My tank is a Red Sea Max 250 so the lid it closed and tight so hopefully I don't have to worry about jumping.

I wouldn't mind a longnose hawk but they are red/white just like my Swissguard

And I was worried my tank isn't big enough for some schooling anthias but was hoping

Unread 09/11/2011, 06:20 PM   #48
stings
Registered Member

the reef has been running for around a year and the 40 breeder im going to use was my frag tank. i have a 4 bulb t5 light over the tank.

Unread 09/11/2011, 06:21 PM   #49
AmberL
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon tank with live rock, sump, and protein skimmer.
I have acquired a Goldrim Tang. He's beautiful and I want to keep him.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank; 2 clowns; Midas blenny; diamond goby; CUC; sand sifting star fish; torch; green star polyps; green plate; brain coral; finger leather; cleaner shrimp; porcelain crab; daisy coral
Unread 09/11/2011, 08:00 PM   #50
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stings View Post
the reef has been running for around a year and the 40 breeder im going to use was my frag tank. i have a 4 bulb t5 light over the tank.
In that case, should be fine

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility