Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2018, 08:28 AM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
100 fish in a 450? They must be really small fish.
Half of them are damsels; the other half a mix of large and medium.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 09:23 AM   #27
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Please define large? 6"? 12"? Other?

With 50 damsels alone, it's got to be pretty full.
Would like to see a picture.

I know my 12" Naso's seemed to be a little short on swimming from in my 7 foot long 400G tank.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol

Last edited by Crusty Old Shellback; 10/01/2018 at 09:48 AM.
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 12:14 PM   #28
Wandering
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
You poll the forum nearly a month ago with no response to the group about there thoughts.......
Not cool. Not cool at all.

However, you should QT in my opinion. Everyone should reguardless of tank size. Period.
I have zero notifications- I would log in and figured nobody had responded- other forums I've been on notify me via email or have a "!" of sorts when I log in. My bad-- I am going back now to respond. Good feedback here, didnt mean to seem like I wasn't reading it. There is also no "like" or "thanks" function like one uses in other forums to show that you have read the reply.

Last edited by Wandering; 10/02/2018 at 12:31 PM.
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 12:24 PM   #29
Wandering
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback @ali1; @Alfrareef; @McPuff; @Rover8; @lagatbezan; et all. Right now the tank is running with no fish, just some sticks (which I have dipped and observed in another tank for a while before moving them). I do have a ~60w UV on there at 250gph as a preventative measure, but I know that 60w is pretty darn undersized for the tank.

@rvareef; having 350 in the living room does not mean that I can put a quarantine next to it- would look awful. When I say no room, I mean I dont have a dedicated space to set up a 40b that would not look awful or interfere with daily happenings at my home.

@ca1ore; it is a 96x27x30 tall. Got it used (like new), if I personally ordered it I would have gone with a wider and less tall setup. Custom faux coral stand too. Ive added a bashsea smart series sump (which has proven to be a pain), Regal 250ss skimmer, apex 2016, Radion hybrid fixture, etc. A pretty sweet setup

@Crusty Old Shellback I use RODI and Red Sea Blue Bucket on my tanks, but thats sweet to have free access to good NSW!! I think hauling water in my coupe would damage the suspension though xD

Last edited by Wandering; 10/02/2018 at 12:33 PM.
Unread 10/05/2018, 10:19 AM   #30
Wandering
Registered Member

I also have a very healthy, stable 70g reef. I wonder if I could do observation in that tank for two months before adding it to the 300. This would be to check that the fish is eating and healthy in a non-copper or low salinity aquarium before moving it. It wouldn’t ensure absolutely that it is absolutely disease free, but would be a pretty good gauge of health.

The 70 gallon is mostly corals along with a pair of clowns and a wrasse, which are pretty hardy fish. It wouldn’t be nearly as big of a problem if there was some sort of outbreak in that tank.

Unread 10/11/2018, 08:39 PM   #31
Tony414
Registered Member

love the tank

Tony414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 03:51 PM   #32
Joe0813
Registered Member

I would advise setting up a temporary qt. I have to rip apart my 180 to catch all my fish after an ich outbreak for not treating fish in the beginning

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote