Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2014, 05:11 PM   #1
invaderzimm
Registered Member

Help with tomato clown

As a gift, my brother got a tomato clown for my reef tank of 30 gallons. The tank also had a small clown, and yellow tang, a blue damsel, and another fish which i forget the name of but it was about the same size as the yellow tang (both about medium sized). The tomato was in there for about a month and everything is fine. However, two days ago one of the large fish died for no apparent reason. Then, the tang died with no apparent illness etc. The tomato has recently taken to a coral and seems to be aggressive toward the two fish that are in there. Could the tomato clown have killed the other two fish that were significantly bigger than it? What should I do about this?

invaderzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 05:56 PM   #2
julie180
Registered Member

Get the tomato out before it kills the rest of your livestock. They are extremely aggressive and in a tank that small, its just a matter of time.

BTW, a 30 gallon tank is WAY to small for anything like a tang or tang size fish.

julie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 06:04 PM   #3
ReeferBill
Registered Member

Before you buy and kill anymore fish please ask if your selections are safe here on reef central . That's why we are here so you can learn from the mistakes we have already made so you do not .[COLORS="black"][/COLOR]

Unread 03/12/2014, 06:11 PM   #4
gone fishin
Registered Member

In all probability the tomato clown is your culprit. Save yourself a bit of headache and tell friends and relatives a gift card is much better in these situations.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 07:41 PM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie180 View Post
Get the tomato out before it kills the rest of your livestock. They are extremely aggressive and in a tank that small, its just a matter of time.

BTW, a 30 gallon tank is WAY to small for anything like a tang or tang size fish.
I would agree with regards to both.

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 07:43 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
In all probability the tomato clown is your culprit. Save yourself a bit of headache and tell friends and relatives a gift card is much better in these situations.
What a great idea! More people should do that, not just from a compatibility perspective, but also because they then get what they really want!

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 08:52 PM   #7
invaderzimm
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. The tomato has been removed and will be returned.

invaderzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2014, 08:52 PM   #8
pbell101
Registered Member

Yeah. I tell all my friends and family, NO LIVE GIFTS! I haven't been on Reef Central long, and even I've read more then one horror story about a gift that causes tons of problems. You also feel guilty, if don't put it in your tank for whatever reason. Gift cards are much nicer.

pbell101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, killing, tomato