Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2017, 07:27 PM   #51
Pife
Registered Member

I went ahead and stirred part of my sand to break up the algae and it looks a thousand times better today.

I also stopped by my lfs and picked up a new fish!

I also have a couple of new corals coming!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 10:16 PM   #52
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Schweet scores

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 11:36 AM   #53
reefmutt
Registered Member

Brandon, I gotta say.. as wicked cool as that frag looks, it also looks next to death to me.. it is just so devoid of zoox, I just can't see how this thing will survive..
And if it survives, you'd probably have to run extreme ulns zeo or something to keep it looking like that.
I could be totally off on this one and I think you've already purchased so I apologize for the rain in the parade..
love the fish though!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 11:42 AM   #54
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

wow wonderful build. love the dimension and the aquascape is killer.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 08:13 PM   #55
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Brandon, I gotta say.. as wicked cool as that frag looks, it also looks next to death to me.. it is just so devoid of zoox, I just can't see how this thing will survive..
And if it survives, you'd probably have to run extreme ulns zeo or something to keep it looking like that.
I could be totally off on this one and I think you've already purchased so I apologize for the rain in the parade..
love the fish though!
So I was leary as well but I talked with a friend that says it's the real deal and seen a picture of the colony. While now as white it was still a decent gamble as far as price. I really like to hear everyone's opinions. It helps me further my knowledge on what they look for in a coral. Thanks. I want to pick up a female too. Or read some more and see if I can mix others in the genus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
wow wonderful build. love the dimension and the aquascape is killer.
Thank you, I wish it was larger but my wife won that argument. Thank you, I hope it looks better with coral!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Schweet scores
Thank you. I'm really excited about the swallowtail angel.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/24/2017, 08:16 PM   #56
Pife
Registered Member

Now on to what everyone wants to see, a couple of pictures from tonight. I'm really getting the right combo of corals I want in front of and next to each other. My display should fill up some more soon.

My ASD Rainbow and Wwc ding dang mille are looking amazing. I had to take some pictures for reminders.

Unread 08/24/2017, 08:57 PM   #57
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Wow great collection. What's the one in the middle on this pic?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...2e757dd7ac.jpg

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 08:57 PM   #58
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oh yeah. Nice rich colours!
Looking really good!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/25/2017, 09:07 AM   #59
codydemmel4
Registered Member

looking really good man!

What are your params now and how much are you feeding?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 06:46 PM   #60
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Damn that frag tank is fine

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 09:44 PM   #61
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Wow great collection. What's the one in the middle on this pic?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...2e757dd7ac.jpg
That's pink Floyd. It's still young. It develops much of its colors as it grows.

Unread 08/26/2017, 09:46 PM   #62
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh yeah. Nice rich colours!
Looking really good!
Thank you! It means a lot with the colors in your tank.

Unread 08/26/2017, 09:50 PM   #63
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
looking really good man!

What are your params now and how much are you feeding?
Thank you, I finally have nitrates under 5 and my phosphates are around 10 ppb.

Unread 08/26/2017, 09:51 PM   #64
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Damn that frag tank is fine
Thank you. It looked especially good last night.

Unread 08/28/2017, 05:20 PM   #65
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Brandon, when do you receive the fish and coral you ordered?
I'm curious to see what that acro frag looks like once you get it. Curious to know your feelings about it once you have it in your system...

Unread 08/28/2017, 08:32 PM   #66
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Brandon, when do you receive the fish and coral you ordered?
I'm curious to see what that acro frag looks like once you get it. Curious to know your feelings about it once you have it in your system...
I have the fishy. He's doing great. The acro is in a holding pattern waiting for me to add on to the order to help spread out the shipping. I'm debating buying the Jason fox anacapora? Have you seen it? What do you think of it?

Unread 08/29/2017, 07:14 PM   #67
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm not familiar at all with the anacropora.. it seems there is a green version and a red..
I assume it's the red one from JF?
Does look cool from photos.. obviously grossly over saturated photoss..
Does look cool though..

Unread 09/02/2017, 08:14 PM   #68
Pife
Registered Member

I did a water change (50 gallons) and some sump maintenence today. I also started getting everything around for a local frag swap in a couple of weeks.

I cleaned all my media (Matrix and Siporax). I also changed out the old containers for since new pond baskets that have holes every where including the bottom. I couldn't belive how dirty the media got in the last section of my sump. I also had quite a bit of detritus in there too. I wonder if this will have an effect on my nutrients.

I've also been testing a Litermeter III for the last week and plan to put it online sometime this week for automatic water changes daily. I'm only doing 5 gallons a day to see if that makes any difference. I'm just looking to replenish the trace elements to try and improve color and to keep from changing large volumes every couple weeks.

Here is the dirty Matrix.

And here it is so fresh and so clean, clean.

Unread 09/02/2017, 11:06 PM   #69
Pife
Registered Member

Oh yea, my sailfin fairy wrasse is gone now. I'm saddened by all the fish losses recently.

Unread 09/03/2017, 07:49 AM   #70
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Oh yea, my sailfin fairy wrasse is gone now. I'm saddened by all the fish losses recently.
Sorry to hear about the fish losses Brandon, i always feel terribly bummed and always a bit guilty about not keeping a fish i took home alive.

I love those latest frag pics, you have a stunning collection of beautiful acros that i'd love to get my hands on, your display is going to look nuts buddy.
Out of interest i grabbed this pic and white balanced it the way i would my own pic because i have kept the exact same tricolor looking thing you have on more than one occasion so i know the colors very well when it's in my tank.

I would say that your colors and more importantly the saturation of them is within 95% of an exact match to mine. Meaning i would be very, very confident that anything you gave me would look pretty much exactly like it does in your water............ just thought you might find it interesting that our acro colors are so similar - even to the extent of color from tip to base on all your acros When i ramble on about 'clarity' of colors making a big difference i mean exactly what your colors are showing, dipped in paint colors like you have mate. I found the vitamins were largely responsible for that look which is why i dose them every night but i think i saw you say you were stopping them a while back so i have no idea what i'm talking about as usual lol.

Unread 09/03/2017, 11:45 PM   #71
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

The AquaSD Rainbow millie is fast becoming my favorite coral in my tank. I split one frag into 2, and now both are significantly bigger than the original frag. The color is so intense - metallic red like I've never seen before. That piece you have may become your centerpiece.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 09:35 PM   #72
Angler02
Registered Member

Very nice .

Current Tank Info: Tall Jason has it!!!!!
Angler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 05:37 PM   #73
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Sorry to hear about the fish losses Brandon, i always feel terribly bummed and always a bit guilty about not keeping a fish i took home alive.

I love those latest frag pics, you have a stunning collection of beautiful acros that i'd love to get my hands on, your display is going to look nuts buddy.
Out of interest i grabbed this pic and white balanced it the way i would my own pic because i have kept the exact same tricolor looking thing you have on more than one occasion so i know the colors very well when it's in my tank.

I would say that your colors and more importantly the saturation of them is within 95% of an exact match to mine. Meaning i would be very, very confident that anything you gave me would look pretty much exactly like it does in your water............ just thought you might find it interesting that our acro colors are so similar - even to the extent of color from tip to base on all your acros When i ramble on about 'clarity' of colors making a big difference i mean exactly what your colors are showing, dipped in paint colors like you have mate. I found the vitamins were largely responsible for that look which is why i dose them every night but i think i saw you say you were stopping them a while back so i have no idea what i'm talking about as usual lol.

I hate the fish losses. It almost puts me in a little bit of a depression and not want to mess with my tanks.

Thank you for the great complement. My frag tank is colored up and it's now growing fast. I have stopped vitamins for now because I have a cyanobacteria outbreak in my display. I will start them back up when it subsidies.

Unread 09/07/2017, 05:45 PM   #74
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
The AquaSD Rainbow millie is fast becoming my favorite coral in my tank. I split one frag into 2, and now both are significantly bigger than the original frag. The color is so intense - metallic red like I've never seen before. That piece you have may become your centerpiece.
It is one of my favorites as well. I have a frag in my DT and one in the frag tank as back up. They are spectacular and many people that come over ask about it first.

Unread 09/07/2017, 05:45 PM   #75
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler02 View Post
Very nice .
Thank you.