Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2018, 11:32 PM   #1
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Nano shrimp tank

Just setup a 10 gallon all in one tank. Going to wait a few weeks before adding anything. Been brainstorming and i want to do a bunch (3 or 4) of barnacle blennies and then maybe 4 or 5 different shrimp.

I would have a red banded snapping shrimp with a goby and those barnacle blennies. In addition, i would add a yellow line cleaner shrimp, Pederson cleaner shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a sexy shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, porcelain crab. No hermits, few snails. That’s it.

My question is: do i run a risk having that many shrimp in such a small tank? Will they fight/eat eachother?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Half Vaped
Registered Member

I've kept a similar combination of those Shrimps in my 5.5 gallon and they all got along together fairly well. The only problem was the Skunk Cleaner would sometimes bully the smaller Shrimps during feeding time, but everything was peaceful otherwise. I would only get one Skunk Cleaner, since they can sometimes be more aggressive as a pair.

Some other inverts you should consider is the Pom Pom Crab and Squat Lobster.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:08 AM   #3
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Fire shrimp are far less aggressive than cleaner shrimp are, and IMO look way cooler. Even though they are a lot more shy they will still be active in a small tank. I have one in my 24G aquapod and if my hands go in the tank he runs up to clean it. Smart enough to figure out that me = food I guess.

Get more then 1 sexy shrimp also. They do well in small gaggles. My tank is also an invert style tank though I do have a possum wrasse and a yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp in mine along with a mix of different snails and hermits, and the fire shrimp. I plan on adding porcelain crabs, a pom pom crab, sexy shrimp, anenome shrimp and any other whacky weird inverts I can get my hands on that are mixed reef safe, maybe an acro crab.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 06:12 AM   #4
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vaped View Post
I would only get one Skunk Cleaner, since they can sometimes be more aggressive as a pair.

Some other inverts you should consider is the Pom Pom Crab and Squat Lobster.
Never read anything on squat lobsters but they sound really neat. Definitely getting one of those! And as far as cleaner shrimp go, i may skip the skunk cleaner. I have one in the 90 and it’s enough for me. The smaller cleaner shrimp will be new and exciting.

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:13 AM   #5
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
Fire shrimp are far less aggressive than cleaner shrimp are, and IMO look way cooler. Even though they are a lot more shy they will still be active in a small tank. I have one in my 24G aquapod and if my hands go in the tank he runs up to clean it. Smart enough to figure out that me = food I guess.

Get more then 1 sexy shrimp also. They do well in small gaggles. My tank is also an invert style tank though I do have a possum wrasse and a yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp in mine along with a mix of different snails and hermits, and the fire shrimp. I plan on adding porcelain crabs, a pom pom crab, sexy shrimp, anenome shrimp and any other whacky weird inverts I can get my hands on that are mixed reef safe, maybe an acro crab.

I will consider 2 or 3 sexy shrimp, thanks. Also i have a fire shrimp in my 90. They are a bit expensive but live aquaria is selling them for $35 right now. Hopefully the tank cycles fast!

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:20 AM   #6
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I see them in our LFS's here in phoenix all the time for 20 to 25. St Louis shouldn't be too far off for LFS choices

Maybe buy the cleaner and put your fire shrimp in the smaller tank. IMO I just think the cleaner might be too overzealous for such a small crowded tank.

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:21 AM   #7
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I see them in our LFS's here in phoenix all the time for 20 to 25. St Louis shouldn't be too far off for LFS choices

Maybe buy the cleaner and put your fire shrimp in the smaller tank. IMO I just think the cleaner might be too overzealous for such a small crowded tank.

I agree also if i were growing any los in there they just tear it to pieces. Have you had any experience with the yellow line cleaner or other small cleaner shrimp?

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:36 AM   #8
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I had an unknown species of small anemone shrimp that was mostly clear with a but of blue flecks. He ended up hosting on my frogspawn. Never had a yellow line though. Most of the small cleaners and hosters are pretty docile from what I've read. Tend to be skittish if anything. I was specifically talking about the skunk cleaner in my above posts. They are hyperactive little crackheads with no regards for anything around them lol.

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:19 PM   #9
Half Vaped
Registered Member

I've had my Yellow Line for about a year now. They're less active than Skunk Cleaners, but more active than Sexy or Fire Shrimp. Do note that they're TINY--they're a little shorter than Sexy Shrimp in length, but are much more slender. I'd say they have about 20% or so the mass of Sexies. At $30 a pop, they are, pound for pound, the most expensive livestock I've purchased.

I had a Pederson's Shrimp as well for a few months before it died in a freak accident. I found them to be identical in behavior to the Yellow Line, but I have very limited experience. They should be fairly outgoing as long as they're not being threatened.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 07:11 PM   #10
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I was specifically talking about the skunk cleaner in my above posts. They are hyperactive little crackheads with no regards for anything around them lol.

Hahahahaha best description of a skunk cleaner i have ever heard!!!

Unread 06/08/2018, 07:14 PM   #11
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vaped View Post
I've had my Yellow Line for about a year now. They're less active than Skunk Cleaners, but more active than Sexy or Fire Shrimp. Do note that they're TINY--they're a little shorter than Sexy Shrimp in length, but are much more slender. I'd say they have about 20% or so the mass of Sexies. At $30 a pop, they are, pound for pound, the most expensive livestock I've purchased.

I had a Pederson's Shrimp as well for a few months before it died in a freak accident. I found them to be identical in behavior to the Yellow Line, but I have very limited experience. They should be fairly outgoing as long as they're not being threatened.

Thanks for the info. Ya I’m not going to have anything in the nano that will hurt them. Not even hermits because they can sometimes grow up to be little devils. But I do have one hermit in there now to clean off all this clear hair algae from the sump of my 90. I’m excited to stock this tank now! Never had an invert-specific tank before!

Unread 06/08/2018, 10:46 PM   #12
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Do a tank thread or keep updating this one as you go. As a fellow invert lover I wish more people did stuff like this. Fish are so boorrriinnng.

I've found the common red legged reef hermits to never be aggressive or an issue. Tricolors (blue legged) definitely can be. My left handed hermit is super active and a fast mover but I've never seen aggression from him either.

Unread 06/10/2018, 04:07 PM   #13
oshanickreef
Registered Member

I tested nitrates earlier today and they read 40 on my salifert test kit. I didnt test for ammonia. The nitrates in my 90 gallon are also around the same so i assume it just transferred over. Does this mean it is cycled? I guess waiting a week and testing ammonia should help. I was also thinking of doing a 80% water change to lower nitrates. One of the rocks i transferred from my five and there is some viney hair algae i have noticed that is growing. So, ideally i would kill that off before it becomes a nuisance.

Unread 06/19/2018, 11:30 PM   #14
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Unread 06/19/2018, 11:31 PM   #15
oshanickreef
Registered Member