Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2017, 12:13 PM   #1
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Pistol Shrimp question

Richard,

I have what I think is an Alpheus formosus or Larger Blue Legged Pistol shrimp. It seems to also be called a Caribbean Pistol Shrimp. He's a bit larger than 2" and has dug some pretty large tunnels under the rock.

I'm curious if you've heard of this type of pistol successfully pairing with a Goby? I have a Yellow Watchman Goby in quarantine and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get them to pair up.

I don't have a picture of my pistol, but here's an online photo:

sierra_bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 11:31 AM   #2
liverock
RC Sponsor

Possibly....but the two critters are from different oceans.....so you never know!

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 12:37 PM   #3
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Caught with the ol' reliable bottle trap...finally.

Unfortunately I still have clicks in the tank...and I found a 3/8" long baby of the same species floating around the rock. PLEASE don't let that mean that I have had eggs hatch!

Unread 06/26/2017, 01:40 PM   #4
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_bravo View Post
Caught with the ol' reliable bottle trap...finally.

Unfortunately I still have clicks in the tank...and I found a 3/8" long baby of the same species floating around the rock. PLEASE don't let that mean that I have had eggs hatch!
Why did you remove him....one of the best sand stirrers there is....don't bother anybody...and way cool...D2mini keeps them in all his reefs with no issues....and is a $30 dollar critter

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 06/26/2017, 01:57 PM   #5
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Because this guy moved more sand from under my larger pile of rocks than a front end loader. He axed a mithrax and gorilla crab, and forces the brittle/serpent stars out from the rocks on that side of the tank. All the brittle stars and peppermint shrimp have moved to the other pile of rocks on the opposite end of the tank and won't get near him. He's a little damn thug, that's what he is.

I have a Goby/Randal pair in quarantine and don't want to chance having them all together. So he's in my sump and I have contacted my local forum and LFS' to see if I can get him a suitable home.

Unread 06/26/2017, 02:06 PM   #6
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Because this guy moved more sand from under my larger pile of rocks than a front end loader. He axed a mithrax and gorilla crab, and forces the brittle/serpent stars out from the rocks on that side of the tank. All the brittle stars and peppermint shrimp have moved to the other pile of rocks on the opposite end of the tank and won't get near him. He's a little damn thug, that's what he is.

I have a Goby/Randal pair in quarantine and don't want to chance having them all together. So he's in my sump and I have contacted my local forum and LFS' to see if I can get him a suitable home.
LOL....that is what they do! best sand stirrer on the planet!

feed him raw shrimp and will be a model citizen.....

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 06/26/2017, 02:22 PM   #7
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:

Are you expecting the Randall's pistol to be different? This is what pistols do.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 03:31 PM   #8
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Are you expecting the Randall's pistol to be different? This is what pistols do.
Randall's don't get as big as the blue leg pistols so there won't be quite the volume this other guy was moving - as evident by the example of the Randall that I currently own. Plus the blue leg pistols don't pair up with Gobies, or so the literature says. I expect the Randall's to be less aggressive than this guy was.

I have no problem with pistol shrimp or I wouldn't have bought another species. The blue leg is cool as heck; he's just not a good fit for what I want.

Unread 06/26/2017, 03:37 PM   #9
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
feed him raw shrimp and will be a model citizen.....
I put a piece of raw shrimp on the end of a skewer to draw him out. I put it near one of his entrances and he snatched the skewer from my hand and it disappeared. A few minutes later he threw it out the tank with a note attached that said: "MORE if you ever want to see your kids again".

I'm telling you, this one's a bad*ss...

Unread 06/26/2017, 03:40 PM   #10
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I put a piece of raw shrimp on the end of a skewer to draw him out. I put it near one of his entrances and he snatched the skewer from my hand and it disappeared. A few minutes later he threw it out the tank with a note attached that said: "MORE if you ever want to see your kids again".

I'm telling you, this one's a bad*ss...
You Sir are a true statesman....must be the military thing...LOL...

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 07/06/2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Ambiturner006
Registered Member

Hope it all works out for you!

I hear clicking pretty regularly, and at night I can catch a handful of pistols sneaking around, including one really pretty bright yellow one. I've yet to see anyone bother anyone else, though. I suppose it's like most other things in the hobby; everyone's tank is different.

Ambiturner006 is offline   Reply With Quote