Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Ruu
Registered Member

Yellow Tang in QT

I picked up a yellow tang and a flame angel together, because I have had better luck in the past introducing these fish together. They have both been in QT now for about 2 weeks. The QT system parameters are pretty good and pretty stable (120 gallons, 35ppt salinity, about 40lbs of liverock that I don't know what to do with, a 30 gallon refugium with chaeto, not even a trace of ammonia, no2, no3 etc).

The flame is doing magnificently, the tang is definitely not. Both are eating pretty well - I'm feeding a frozen blend with garlic twice a day, there is always nori in there that is definitely being consumed, but the tang still looks pretty emaciated and has what I am going to assume is a bacterial infection that isn't rapidly worsening, but definitely isn't getting better.

Any suggestions for treatment? My hospital tank is a fair bit smaller than I would like, so are there any options that put him in the HT for a relatively short period of time before going back into QT? The QT is a pretty large low stress environment, and the two of them seem to get along extremely well.

Thoughts?

Dave

Edit -- yes, I realize that he really doesn't look good and no, I would not normally wait this long without treatment, but the massive storm and power loss that we had and the fact that he like to hide *a lot* made it difficult to get a good look until I tore the place apart today, and I was trying to avoid stressing the poor guy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tang_qt.jpg (39.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Ruu; 03/09/2018 at 09:46 PM.
Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Keep your water quality as good as possible and feed the tank often. If it is something bacterial you need to get a antibiotic or nitro furacin green to treat with

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:44 AM   #3
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Looks like bacterial to me as well. I would treat with cocktail of furan2, metroplex and kanaplex for 10 days. This will target most infections and also help if the fish has internal parasites.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Ruu
Registered Member

I did a FW dip first to check for flukes just in case and there were none.

I've started with a metroplex/kanaplex/garlic food cocktail until I have some time mid week to set up the hospital tank properly, and even with just that there does seem to be some improvement - the feeding response has improved and the tang seems to be quite a bit less emaciated.

Dave

Unread 03/16/2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Ruu
Registered Member

Ok. Not sure what to do now.

I began treating with a kanaplex metroplex food cocktail and the tang started improving almost immediately. Great food response, better color, less emancipated. All around good story.

Unfortunately, a couple of days ago his coconspirator in the qt went downhill fast. The flame angel went from active and awesome to almost dead in 2 days. He started swimming somewhat sluggishly, almost looking stiff when swimming against current, and stopped eating. He then got progressively worse and began losing buoyancy control - basically he was just getting blown around the tank, spinning upside down etc. I moved him to a very low flow ht, but I have no idea what to do next. There is no external sign that I can see that he is sick - no spots, discoloration, bloating etc, he just went from healthy to dying in 2 days.

He has been in qt for 4 weeks, with no other introduction of anything since then.

What should I look for? Any ideas on what to do?

Dave