Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2017, 10:35 PM   #1
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

Red sea reefer 425 xl

Someone traded me a brand new red sea reefer in a box for a kessil, but here's the catch it only comes with the bulkhead and overflow box. There is no stand or plumbing. I called red sea and they want $300 for the plumbing (8 pieces). I don't think that is worth it seeing as I paid about 300 (kessil a350w = $300) for the tank itself. Is there anyway to plumb this tank using standard pvc or something along those lines?

hotdogoramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 10:42 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

2 threads same person. You came up on a good deal(IMO). Is there anything else wrong with the tank, besides missing hardwares? Check EBAY might have the plumbing

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 02:14 AM   #3
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

Yeah my mistake. I tried to edit it. I got an amazing deal. The tank is still sealed in the box. So I haven't even checked. But the previous owner says it has no plumbing or stand. I called red sea and they said the tank is pre-fitted with all bulkheads. I looked everywhere for plumbing but I can't find it. I'm excited to use the tank but I can't. I'm gonna have to diy the plumbing unless I can find it used

Unread 04/05/2017, 02:39 AM   #4
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Why not just buy new plumbing from a big box store or buy some from an aquarium store online? Is there really that big a difference?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 04:59 AM   #5
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

That's what I'm asking. Should I scrap the bulkheads and go and buy all of my own plumbing even though the tank is drilled according to metric units. I havent unpacked the tank yet because i dont have anywhere to put it yet. Easier to move fron the garage when it's safely packed in the box.

Unread 04/05/2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Reef_Chief
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would just stump the $300 up. You will have the proper fittings and all in all you have still got a full set up for a bargain price.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Reef_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 01:54 PM   #7
phil5613
Registered Member

I would check the bulkheads and see what size they are. I wouldn't pony up for the Red Sea plumbing until I exhausted whether or not I could get the stuff locally. Next to landscape I would say I fuss and rearrange the plumbing the most on my systems. Adding devices or pumps, not liking how it looks, efficiency or trying to eek out more flow and about 20 other reasons. If you can get the plumbing locally it will dave you cash and give you a ton more options

Current Tank Info: getting back into the addiction!
phil5613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 08:32 PM   #8
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

The damn bulkhead have teeth all around the inside. I might have to pull those out and attempt to got my own in the narrow spaces between the holes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4067.jpg (63.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4068.jpg (56.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4069.jpg (43.7 KB, 43 views)
Unread 04/05/2017, 09:45 PM   #9
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

If I remember correctly the bulkheads are silicone like the tank & the pipes are twist on with o rings. The 3 are slip on with o rings & twist nut. Be careful removing, might crack

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 12:19 AM   #10
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
If I remember correctly the bulkheads are silicone like the tank & the pipes are twist on with o rings. The 3 are slip on with o rings & twist nut. Be careful removing, might crack

Can I just get a standard overflow kit and pressure fit it?

Unread 02/24/2019, 01:23 AM   #11
DannY82
Registered Member

Hey hotdog,
The bulkheads are not changeable, like Jun said they are factory sealed on. But if you want to go through the chance of leaking or breaking the tank it’s up to you. There is a few sites that sell factory parts other then Red Sea themselfs if you want to check them out. If you need the sump, stand or a few parts you can go to www.fishtanksdirect.com
If you need different parts to the stand, tank or plumbing you can go to www.aquariumpart.com
Hope you find what you need!

DannY82 is offline   Reply With Quote