Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2017, 04:32 PM   #1
FatherPrime3
Registered Member

Is having two powerheads with a smaller amount of gph better than one with more gph?

I have a 56 gallon column style tank and flow seems to be my main issue. I have one aqueon circulation pump rated for 1250 gph on the side of my tank pointed towards the surface. My green star polyps seem to love it but I can tell they are moving pretty rapidly. My zoas seem to not be bothered by it nor does my kenya tree coral. My duncan, acan, and hammer on the other hand will not open up fully. My hammer extends about halfway but almost always closes up later in the day. My acan just looks rough and its as though the flesh is shrink wrapped to its skeleton. What makes me believe flow is my issue is I recently moved my duncan that never opens behind a rock where flow usually doesn't reach as much. It started to actually open and continues to a little more each day. So, my main question is, should I go ahead and buy 2 smaller pumps to replace the big one so flow is more evenly distributed? Thanks!

FatherPrime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 05:57 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I always prefer multiple smaller powerheads vs one large one..

Then I can point one behind the rocks and on in front or whatever is needed..

Unread 07/10/2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I always prefer multiple smaller powerheads vs one large one..

Then I can point one behind the rocks and on in front or whatever is needed..
+1 and you can keep a powerhead on the bottom keeping flow so stuff like cyano etc doesn't cause a problem.. I have one powerhead at the top of the tank and one at the bottom of my 26 gallon.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 08:20 PM   #4
FatherPrime3
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks guys!

FatherPrime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 04:12 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

IMHO, almost anything you can do in the tank to improve the randomness of flow and the ability of flow to get everywhere in the tank is a good thing!

Tags
flow, flow help, movement, powerhead