Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Lewis2000
Registered Member

Goniopora/Alveopora success in NPS tank?

Hi Everyone,

I was planning to create a 'goniopora/alveopora garden' in my mixed reef tank (softies,LPS,SPS). After extensive research it seems that this coral should be(does better when) fed for long term success. I am now pondering the idea of putting the goniopora/alveopora in my NPS tank (10 gallon nano) which consists of various non-photosynthetic gorgonians, sponges and filter feeding inverts.

NPS Tank Feeding Schedule

Syringe Pump 1:

Doses 0.17ml of Fauna Marin Ultra MIN S (Amino Acid) Daily

Syringe Pump 2:

Doses 10ml over a period of 24 hours (0.36ml/hour) which is a slurry of foods which consist of…

2 Cubes of frozen Red Plankton
2 Cubes of frozen Microplankton
2 Cubes of frozen Invertebrate Food
2 Cubes of frozen Cyclops
2 Cubes of frozen Rotifers
2 Cubes of frozen Artemia Brine Shrimp
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA Seafan
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA Clam
1/4 Teaspoon of Fauna Marin ULTRA MIN F
1/4 Teaspoon of Polyp Lab Reef Roids
1/4 Teaspoon of Goniopower

Automatic Feeder

Doses a mixture of dry foods 4 times per day (8:00,12:00,16:00 and 20:00)

Fauna Marin ULTRA Seafan
Fauna Marin ULTRA Clam
Fauna Marin ULTRA MIN F
Polyp Lab Reef Roids
Goniopower

This is my current feeding schedule for this tank. Depite the large amounts of feeding, phosphate and nitrate remain low with the use of FM ultra Lith, FM ultra bak dosing, prodibio BioDigest, daily water and aggressive skimming.

Has anyone else had success with goniopora/alveopora being housed in a high nutrient environment system? or would target feeding daily in my mixed reef be better for it?

Thanks in advance, Lewis

Lewis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 01:17 PM   #2
laga77
Registered Member

My red Goni is almost three years old now and has never been fed directly. It is in a 50G mixed reef tank. I do broadcast feed with live BBS daily.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 01:50 PM   #3
ps1434
Registered Member

I have eight different kinds and only get a feed reaction from one of them. You better do a lot of water changes with that much food. Thought most of the powders needed to be pre-mixed with tank water.

Pau

ps1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Lewis2000
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Seems like these corals can thrive without the need to feed. Interesting. I may put them in my mixed reef as there will be more room for them to grow and just add some food every now and then. What is it that makes them have a poor reputation in the hobby?

Unread 10/22/2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Lewis2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps1434 View Post
I have eight different kinds and only get a feed reaction from one of them. You better do a lot of water changes with that much food. Thought most of the powders needed to be pre-mixed with tank water.

Pau
yep, i do daily water changes and dose prodibio biodigest every 15 days and FM ultra bak in a syringe pump (0.17ml/24hours) along with the zeolight(ultra lith) media. This has kept Phosphates low and Nitrates undetectable. This system has been running for a couple of months now and i have had no issues with nuisance algae using this method.

Automatic feeders are usually ok to dose dry foods as long as the food falls into either a feeding ring or an area of high flow. Again, I have been doing this for a couple of months now and have had no problems.

Unread 10/22/2016, 07:45 PM   #6
ps1434
Registered Member

I was not being critical. Sounds like you know more than I do. I just keep seeing people repeating that feeding them is critical and for some species it might be. It just has not been my experience. See if you can get a feeding response first, other than them retracting there polyps because something is dropping on them.

Good Luck

Paul

ps1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Moort82
Registered Member

I have three goni's that I have fragged into 6. They range from a melon size to a couple of inches across. All were bought as tiny frags and have grown (the melon was originally a little finger nail sized hitchhiker). I've never fed them directly and have found that lighting and flow is really important for health. Mine all sway pretty heavily in the current and they enjoy almost sps levels of light although they need to be acclimated. Species is much more important than tank conditions and I'd especially avoid stokesi. The best ones tend to encrust and all mine are long polyp.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote