Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

Calcium reactor feed options

Hi
Looking to run a Ca Rx on my 225g SPS dominant tank. (still being setup). Trying to decide on which would be the best way to feed it.

1. MasterFlex pump

2. Stream method

3. Dedicated pump

4. Run it off manifold

I'm leaning more towards the first 2 options.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:42 PM   #2
royvoss
Registered Member

MasterFlex pump, hands down

royvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:16 PM   #3
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

masterflex would be my choice if I had one.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

thanks
That's what I was thinking/ leaning toward

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 11:49 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've done all four; continuous duty peri pump for the win. I use mine in pull mode.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:03 AM   #6
eder10986
Registered Member

Let me semi hi jack this thread if I may. We feed ours with our return off a manifold. I have it dialed in so well right now that our alk fluctuates between 8.8-9.2 daily without budging.

Is it really necessary to get a masterflex if everything is on point?

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:52 AM   #7
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
Let me semi hi jack this thread if I may. We feed ours with our return off a manifold. I have it dialed in so well right now that our alk fluctuates between 8.8-9.2 daily without budging.

Don't need with if it ain't broke. Thats the old saying. But I would use masterflex as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 01:39 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
If what you are doing works, then absolutely stick with it. In my setup a T off the main pump didn't work well. I run a basement sump, so consequently a serious pressure pump. I order to not over pressurize the CaRx I had to close down the feed needle valve. So it was constantly clogging up. Most annoying.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 01:52 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Not necessary but the Masterflex makes a reactor set it and forget it. There are never effluent clogs or changes in flow with a Masterflex and because of that, the reactor pH remains more stable and the controllers become unnecessary or at the very least, never have to shut the Co2 off.

I’ve run Ca Reactors for 20 years. 3 years ago, I found out about the Masterflex pumps and made the jump. I’ve never looked back. My calcium reactor never needs tuning. I run a carbon doser regulator and my Co2 tank lasts me 2 years or more. My Alk in my display remains constantly stable and the only time I ever touch my calcium reactor is when it’s time to add more media. In years past, I had to adjust flow to keep it consistent. Meanwhile, when the flow slowed or effluent clogged, my controller was having to intervene and the tank was less stable. Now, I rarely test my Alk because after 3 years of running my Masterflex, I’ve learned that my tank is always within my target ranges.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 03:42 PM   #10
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I have been testing a Kamoer feed pump. so far it is working excellent. i can adjust the flow by using a knob on it. It adjustment is set to ML's per minute.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Kain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
I have been testing a Kamoer feed pump. so far it is working excellent. i can adjust the flow by using a knob on it. It adjustment is set to ML's per minute.

How long have you had the pump? I’m currently looking at alternatives to my manifold because of the constant tinkering I have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 10:54 AM   #12
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
How long have you had the pump? I’m currently looking at alternatives to my manifold because of the constant tinkering I have to do.

Hello Kain,

i have been running it for about 2 months now with no issues.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Kain
Registered Member

Can you send me the pump info. Thanks.

Kain is offline   Reply With Quote