Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/14/2016, 10:54 AM   #701
maxwell
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 266
Krzysztof
The tank is stunning and is the best I have seen your corals are extremely healthy and a credit to you, have you ever considered any other brand of pellets I use a circulating reactor and they dissolve very quickly .

Bill


maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2016, 05:26 PM   #702
cFloor
Registered Member
 
cFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,441
Wow! Your last FTS is amazing, as good as it gets for SPS tanks.


__________________
250g. SPS tank, 45g Frag tank, 190g Monti Tank, 55g LPS tank

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2016, 08:39 PM   #703
Acronic
The Fifth Master
 
Acronic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,818
Krzysztof,

You are the man.

That is all.


__________________
Kevin

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2016, 09:43 AM   #704
Johnyman
Registered Member
 
Johnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lisbon/Portugal
Posts: 218
My reference!!! Absolutely stunning!

I'm thinking in change the AIO for the normal NP Biopellets too, the brown dust is very annoying!!


__________________
Best regards
Joćo

Current Tank Info: 90G SPS Reef Tank
Johnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2017, 02:07 PM   #705
Osama
Registered Member
 
Osama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Palatine NW suburb of Chicago
Posts: 1,058
Loving it .. Just incredible colors and growth..


__________________
Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef : 500g (130X30X31)with 60g frag tank and 60g refugium (36X24X16) and 60g sump (48X18X16)// Previously:320g,180G,65g & 2X90g

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef DT 500 Gallons
Osama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2017, 04:44 PM   #706
chercm
Registered Member
 
chercm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 3,167
what are the parameters ? KH, CA and mg ?


chercm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2017, 05:32 AM   #707
robi0543
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ireland Dublin
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
I think that a good thing is to make a brief summary of my system. So, I have been using DVH biopellets for about six years, firstly np reducing biopellets, then aio and now I came back to np reducing biopellets. I add biogro 123 marine bacteria and once in a while Colombo bacteria after each change water (w.c. about 10% weekly). My tank has been bare bottom for about two years. I used to have something like balling method but I came back to calcium reactor several months ago and added also mixer with limewater. There are real reef rocks in my tank. Lighting, of course ATI 10 x powermodule with 4 channels. T 5 combo: blue plus, coral plus, ultra royal blue, blue plus, giesemann pink, aquablue sp.,blue plus, ultra royal blue, coral plus, blue plus. Salt, microelements and aminoacids from Colombo - don't confuse with Colombo lieutenant ;-). I feed my fish twice daily, corals twice weekly. Think that's all.

Krzysztof
What was the reason behind changing pellets back to np reducing pellets?


robi0543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 07:45 AM   #708
ReefKeeper64
Registered Member
 
ReefKeeper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 962
Your thread has been running for years and is still an inspiration to this day. I went back and read every post from the beginning and noticed how helpful and patient you are with everyone.

I'm also curious as to why you recently switched away from AIO pellets since they have served you so well. You must have a good reason.

Chris


__________________
-Chris

Reef Savvy 110 | Reef Savvy Stand | ATI 8x54 | GHL Profilux 4 Controller | GHL Doser | Royal Exclusiv Skimmer | Royal Exclusiv Dreambox | Red Dragon DC Pumps
ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 09:18 AM   #709
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!
 
mhucasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oceanside, California
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Your thread has been running for years and is still an inspiration to this day. I went back and read every post from the beginning and noticed how helpful and patient you are with everyone.

I'm also curious as to why you recently switched away from AIO pellets since they have served you so well. You must have a good reason.

Chris
My guess would be because they changed the formulation of the pellets. The new AIO are garbage.


__________________
- Matt
I call the big one "Bitey" - Homer Simpson

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 96 and 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire tanks back to back. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 2 6X39W Sunpowers
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 10:31 AM   #710
gdemos
Registered Member
 
gdemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 452
Going to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the newer AIO pellets. The brown larger pellets being the older style the newer style being the yellow. According to Dennis van Houten, the ingredients of the two are the same. He suggested to me the reason for the change was folks were having a problem with the heavy weight of the brown ones and the new pellets allow for a reduced air/water content in the pellets making them smaller and more dense. I've run both the old and new pellets. And while I don't necessarily like the gold colored skimmate, I've had success running the new AIO in my reactor as a functional and effective media. I've tried many biopellet brands and these have been my favorite.

Not saying this is Krzysztof's findings but personally I have no issue with the new DVH AIO pellets.

What don't you like about them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 06:37 PM   #711
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!
 
mhucasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oceanside, California
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Going to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the newer AIO pellets. The brown larger pellets being the older style the newer style being the yellow. According to Dennis van Houten, the ingredients of the two are the same. He suggested to me the reason for the change was folks were having a problem with the heavy weight of the brown ones and the new pellets allow for a reduced air/water content in the pellets making them smaller and more dense. I've run both the old and new pellets. And while I don't necessarily like the gold colored skimmate, I've had success running the new AIO in my reactor as a functional and effective media. I've tried many biopellet brands and these have been my favorite.

Not saying this is Krzysztof's findings but personally I have no issue with the new DVH AIO pellets.

What don't you like about them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran the old pellets for over a year and they did a fantastic job as long as you didn't let them degrade to tiny pieces. There was some off-color residue in the skimmate, but fairly minimal. They tumbled very well. I tried another system for a while then re-booted the tank and decided to go back to AIO. The new formulation pellets were almost impossible to tumble in the same reactor and were disintegrating at an alarming rate. After a few weeks everything- pipes, pumps, reactor, skimmer were coated in orange-yellow sludge. Corals were doing poorly, with peeling/burning and STN.

I pulled the pellets, cleaned the equipment, and added poly-filter and went to regular pellets(dr Tim's brand but I would have used DVH if I could have got them). Within days I was seeing an improvement in the corals and no more losses. I would gladly use the old formula AIO if it were offered but I think that DVH made a bad move here.


__________________
- Matt
I call the big one "Bitey" - Homer Simpson

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 96 and 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire tanks back to back. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 2 6X39W Sunpowers
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 06:48 PM   #712
gdemos
Registered Member
 
gdemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
I ran the old pellets for over a year and they did a fantastic job as long as you didn't let them degrade to tiny pieces. There was some off-color residue in the skimmate, but fairly minimal. They tumbled very well. I tried another system for a while then re-booted the tank and decided to go back to AIO. The new formulation pellets were almost impossible to tumble in the same reactor and were disintegrating at an alarming rate. After a few weeks everything- pipes, pumps, reactor, skimmer were coated in orange-yellow sludge. Corals were doing poorly, with peeling/burning and STN.



I pulled the pellets, cleaned the equipment, and added poly-filter and went to regular pellets(dr Tim's brand but I would have used DVH if I could have got them). Within days I was seeing an improvement in the corals and no more losses. I would gladly use the old formula AIO if it were offered but I think that DVH made a bad move here.


Goes to show, different systems sometimes different results. While I'm with you 100% about the orange residue, I have this as well but seemingly not to the extent you had. If anything I find the new (and older) DVH AIO pellets to hold up very well in durability. In my case I also had a long run with DocT's pellets and for me they broke down extremely rapidly and take a look at this sludge it would clog so bad I'd have to completely take down my reactor weekly! I first encountered this sludge with TLF brand and switched to DocTs upon recommendation. Sludge problem persisted. I've been AIO now for approx 1 yr and no more sludge like this. Yes orange grime but it doesn't impact flow like the others.

Look forward to your report lunar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2017, 01:36 PM   #713
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!
 
mhucasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oceanside, California
Posts: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Goes to show, different systems sometimes different results. While I'm with you 100% about the orange residue, I have this as well but seemingly not to the extent you had. If anything I find the new (and older) DVH AIO pellets to hold up very well in durability. In my case I also had a long run with DocT's pellets and for me they broke down extremely rapidly and take a look at this sludge it would clog so bad I'd have to completely take down my reactor weekly! I first encountered this sludge with TLF brand and switched to DocTs upon recommendation. Sludge problem persisted. I've been AIO now for approx 1 yr and no more sludge like this. Yes orange grime but it doesn't impact flow like the others.

Look forward to your report lunar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sludge is the bacterial biomass that you are trying to grow. It's sticky stuff and can clog pipes for sure. Out of the four varieties of standard pellets I have tried the Dr. Tim's pellets grew the most bacteria, followed by the DVH standard pellets.


__________________
- Matt
I call the big one "Bitey" - Homer Simpson

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 96 and 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire tanks back to back. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 2 6X39W Sunpowers
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2017, 01:43 PM   #714
gdemos
Registered Member
 
gdemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 452
either excess biomass or undissolved polymers right? I'll PM you Matt to save Lunar's thread! (its a long story)
Your PM Inbox is Full *****



Last edited by gdemos; 03/21/2017 at 02:40 PM.
gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2017, 02:03 PM   #715
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member
 
ADVRESOURCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TUCSON
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Sorry that so late … again.
This is my today’s photo.



Krzysztof
Nice reef. Was comparing the earlier picture. Do you move things around? Add, and subtract? Do you typically buy frags or larger colonies?


ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2017, 03:20 PM   #716
Piper27
I love bengals
 
Piper27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 2,290
We want an update!


Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2017, 02:30 PM   #717
gdemos
Registered Member
 
gdemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 452
Yes please update! We need to get my biopellet snot pic off the Tap-talk main page (sorry about that!). -Greg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2017, 07:14 PM   #718
Ucantwin
Registered Member
 
Ucantwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 372
Any update? I also see in one of your videos you keep a melanurus wrasse. No issues with it and not having any sand?


Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014