Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2017, 06:39 PM   #1
paronaram
Registered Member

ATO with Kalkwasser

Hello
I start dosing Kalkwasser to my 30Gallon + 20G sump setup, and I noticed that pH start slowly claimbing. Before dose I had 8.2 and now it's 8.5.
I add about 1tsp per 5G of RO.
I add Kalk to RO top off, now I can connect my Tunze ATO to pH controller and it will cut off at 8.3pH (let's say). But I still need to top off evaporated water...
How do I start ATO just RO ?

Thank you

paronaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 06:52 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

You will need to have two dosing pumps or switch to RO-only for ATO. I probably would look into the tank's aeration rate. That's a big rise for such a week dose. How much Kalkwasser was added to the system?

Unread 02/19/2017, 07:51 PM   #3
paronaram
Registered Member

I started my system last September and was learning things as problems raise, so learned with my Alkalinity swing after WC I need to start dosing Kalk to stabilize swing as much as possible, it did help me, but start raising my pH (very slowly). So far I added 10 - 15 tsp with topoff system in total.
(15tsp x 75g or RO)
I do my 5G WC on Sundays.
Magnesium is low 1150 I need to figure out how to bump that one very soon.

Unread 02/19/2017, 08:34 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

What kind of pump is being used? A peristaltic pump or something that delivers a stream of drops is best. Also, does the tank have a skimmer? I'd check for a good rippling motion on the tank surface and also remove any possible film buildup. Aeration should bring the pH back down fairly quickly. pH 8.5 is safe, so I wouldn't worry much just yet. I'd do something if the level went above 8.6.

Unread 02/19/2017, 09:10 PM   #5
paronaram
Registered Member

ATO pump is that TUNZE little blue "sump pump"
Yes I do have a skimmer it's not calibrated yet but it's a Vertex Omega 150, having issues with skimmer level. I do have a surface ripple, and there is no film anywhere on surface.

Unread 02/19/2017, 09:42 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure how quickly that pump delivers the Kalkwasser, but reducing the rate might help.

Unread 02/20/2017, 02:14 AM   #7
Bagabaga
Registered Member

If you have trouble figuring out how to reduce rate add a small ball valve AFTER the pump.

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 04:10 PM   #8
gltoland
Registered Member

Buy a cheap two little fishies Kalk reactor. Use a ball valve to reduce the flow to where it barley stirs. Put 1/3 cup of Mrs Wages pickling lime in once a week. Your KH will stay exactly the same 24 hours a day for 7 days. Putting Kalk in an ATO res. is too messing and a pain and you will never get the correct dose.

gltoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 10:03 PM   #9
paronaram
Registered Member

Thanks all, for reply. Start dosing 1/2 tsp per 5Gallon and left for business trip.
Just added a little so not to OD...

Now I'm back...

bertoni - I can't adjust flow on this pump (unless I cut the line and install small ball valve) even if I reduce the flow I'm dosing it with RO top off, so it will pump till level is correct.

gltoland - will definitely try try this, 1/3 cup for how much water?
Tank volume 30gallon + 10gallon (approx) in sump
What pump do you use with this reactor?

Unread 03/22/2017, 11:17 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

Reducing the flow rate might be useful. I used a peristaltic pump for ATO and Kalkwasser to help with any possible pH problems. If your system is working well enough, I probably wouldn't worry, though.

Unread 03/24/2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Reefable
Registered Member

i use to dose KW using ATO however there is always a risk of more being dumped into the system if the float switch is stuck or fails. After doing a lot of research and taking advise from folks here i dose my KW now using a dosing pump thru a still reservoir. Its a 10G small tank. I run my JBJ ATO seperately. What it does is gives you control over your KW dosing and you know exactly how much KW has been dosed on based on your calculation. This gives you a bit more redundancy so you could stay on top of your PH and Alk. I dose 315ml every hour for 24hrs which actually matches my evaporation rate of 2G (7570ml). PH is rock solid at 8.2. I dose Cal and Alk based on my water tests every weekend..Hope this helps you achieve your target goal..

Reefable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 09:54 PM   #12
paronaram
Registered Member

Yes, I will separate Kalk from RO TopOff
So I did water test:
Mag - 1290
kH - 11.5
Alk - 4.1
pH - 8.2 but it swings to 8.3
Salinity - 1.025

Zoas very weak, open on every other day and stay small, toad stool opens but stays small, blue mushrooms very light colored, and open 1/2"
On another hand I have bleached corals coming back! I left bleached skeleton and now I see small coloration on the tip. Orange Digitata is coming back and another coral similar shape but light brown color also coming back.

I had big rock covered with some type of Monti (dark green and small red dots all over) that bleached 4 month ago from bottom up, and it looks like it's not coming back ...

Green and Red Favia is thriving, Green Hairy mushrooms too, but opens small 3" (use to be 5-6", this one I know why I change the color on my light fixture 20%- W and 70%- Blue)
After adjusting light more towards Blue, Pulsing Xenia start looking much better and start actually pulsing, I had it in this tank for 4 month and I never seen it pulsing

Unread 03/24/2017, 10:12 PM   #13
Lsufan
Registered Member

The tunze ato has a setting in the controller where u can adjust the flow rate. Betting may be on to something saying it's not the amount of kalk getting pumped in the tank, it's how fast it is getting pumped in. The tunze pump does pump pretty fast so I would turn it all the way down if u have a tunze ato.

I don't think the ph is what is causing your issues. I would start looking for something else if u keep having issues. Alk swings can cause problems with corals so I would watch it closely. Once u get your kalk dialed in the kalk should keep it stable. I dose kalk in my ato & once u figure out how much u need it can keep your alk & calcium stable.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 10:53 AM   #14
bertoni
RC Mod

That pH swing is tiny compared to many tanks. I agree that it is more than stable enough for corals. Those numbers all are fine. What are the nitrate and phosphate levels?

Unread 03/26/2017, 12:42 PM   #15
paronaram
Registered Member

Nitrate -0
Phosphate - 0 but it's not as yellow as on API chart. It is not green ether maybe 0.1+
I have no fish, only 2 shrimps 2 crabs in sump and some corals...

Unread 03/26/2017, 03:01 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

The soft corals might need a bit more in the way of dissolved nutrients to do well, but that's a bit speculative. A bit more feeding might be a useful experiment to try.