Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2020, 10:02 PM   #10951
sam.sor
Registered Member

Hey after packing my last tank away 15 years ago, I’m finally in a situation where I can get back into it! I just started a new cycle in my old Biocube 29!!! I’ve been sitting next to this thing for hours almost everyday, and can’t be any more excited to be back in the hobby!!! So much has changed, except the amount of money that leaves my pockets . I’m looking forward to spending just as much time here on the forum, and meeting fellow Aquarists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam.sor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 10:59 AM   #10952
rpung1
Registered Member

I am a semi-noob to the reef hobby. I had a 75 gallon reef tank for a year back in 2015. Then a couple weeks ago, I took in a buddies german made 190G reef tank. The thing is a beast. Tank completely empty is 214lbs! Once I got it to my house and filled it up with the exsisting water ( (30) Five gallon pails). I noticed the anemone was odd. Two days later, come home from work and the anemone split into 4!! I jave never ever seen or heard of an anemone split into that many parts. Needless to say, the littlest part is currently hanging by a thread. The other 3 parts are thriving. Its definitely gonna be fun getting back into the reef life.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rpung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 06:19 PM   #10953
Mg4life0331
Registered Member

Well, after a 5-6 year hiatus I’m back. Hey everyone.

Mg4life0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 10:02 PM   #10954
SmokinMuffins
Registered Member

Hey guys well i am pretty new to the reef scene ive had a few freshwater tanks but now i got a 14 gallon biocube ive had it for 2 and a half months got a cleaner shrimp, hermit crab, 2 snails and a chromis now for coral i started with Pulsing Xenia and GSP now i have slowly added a green mushroom, jason fox captain jerk zoas, and another type of mushroom looks orange and bumpy .... just got a new 55 gallon tank so in the process of getting that cycled so i can eventually move everything

SmokinMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 10:12 AM   #10955
Kupp
Registered Member

Canister Filter

I had a couple questions about my Penn plax 1000 canister filter.

I have the course sponge in the bottom basket, then bio floss with the media that came with the filter on top of the floss in the middle basket and then bio floss with chemi pure media on top of that in the top basket. I have bio rings that I would like to add but it says they need to go towards the top. Is it ok to put media on top of the course sponge? Also, do I need bio floss in both of the top baskets? Is the media supposed to go on top of the bio floss or below the bio floss?

Kupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 03:48 PM   #10956
thislittlefisho
Registered Member

Hello!

Greetings all. I’m a brand new marine tank owner- though not technically new to the hobby! Just getting started out with marine, but I’ve dabbled in freshwater tanks in the past. I wanted to try something new. So, in the process of getting things going again. I’ve got my hubby to help – and my cat to keep out of the office where the tanks are!

thislittlefisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2020, 11:36 AM   #10957
revenant
Registered Member

I am back after 14 years!! Picked up a 100 gallon setup off CL and cycling it now. Here we go!!

Last edited by revenant; 08/10/2020 at 10:02 AM.
revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 08:25 PM   #10958
dav2245
Registered Member

Hello everyone my name is David and I return back to the hobby. Just set my Aquarium up in July so been running about a month now. On my birthday 8/6/20 I pick up some fish. Fish is doing great, LR starting to get the purple Coraline and all levels is good. I think I'm going through a bacterial bloom. Just about a week now water is a little cloudy. The only thing I'm doing for the fist is dealing with chato it breaking up and starting to go in the tank.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

dav2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 12:44 PM   #10959
revenant
Registered Member

I have the same exact cloudiness in my tank right now... I suspect the same thing - bacterial bloom.. Nice LR btw... looks gorgeous.

revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 12:45 PM   #10960
dav2245
Registered Member

Thanks... I just can't wait for the water to clear up.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

dav2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2020, 07:31 AM   #10961
mabapo
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Melody and my dad recently got into the hobby. I joined this forum so I can learn more about taking care of saltwater tanks. We've had our tank for almost two months now and we haven't had any issues yet.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

mabapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2020, 09:50 PM   #10962
Albertchoi81
Registered Member

Hi guys. I’m back in the community after being gone for 6 years or so. I use to have an active account here, but don’t remember the log in, so I’m starting from scratch again. I had a small 10 gallon reef tank and then switched to a 30 gallon. Now I’m ready to convert my 75 gallon freshwater tank in to a saltwater tank!

I loved my reef tanks and can’t seem to stay away from them!

Albertchoi81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2020, 09:53 PM   #10963
Albertchoi81
Registered Member

That amazing that the anemone split! Hopefully the little one survives!

Albertchoi81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 10:26 AM   #10964
TrueAmericanZoo
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to the hobby and really excited to learn and grow my knowledge. I just started a nano reef tank (due to my apartment rules can’t have it any bigger) and we are about 3 days into this adventure. I know the smaller the tank the easier it is to become unstable. Hoping to get it balanced out within a month or so so I can maybe add a clownfish and shrimp. Any advice for water changes and maintaining water quality?

TrueAmericanZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2020, 10:03 AM   #10965
cdbias5
Registered Member

Back after 10 years

Joined to help my brother that just lucked into a 325 gal.
Southern West Virginia is rough to deal with this hobby.

cdbias5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2020, 02:03 PM   #10966
Da_Neefer
Registered Member

Hello everyone! I've been into FW planted tanks for about 2 decades but about 6 months ago dove into reefing with a 22g long and now a 69g tank. Started a build thread for the big tank which is just getting going. Please stop by, say hi, and offer up suggestions or criticisms!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post25688236

Da_Neefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2020, 06:53 PM   #10967
FTReef
Registered Member

Getting back into the hobby in the Gulf Coast of FL

Had my first marine tank about 20 years ago when i lived in the northeast then took a break from the hobby. Finally getting back in. Still in my research phase but think I should be up and running soon with a nice starter setup.

Science is still the same but tech has definitely improved. Look forward to being part of the community.

FTReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 05:50 AM   #10968
aaron5432
Registered Member

Hey All,
I am Aaron and new to the hobby and this forum, after years of freshwater tanks, I have setup a 32g Biocube with live rock and sand after cycling for a few weeks. I have put in a CUC and couple oscellaris clowns and a week later yellow watchman Goby. My question is do I need a protein skimmer and which one would be best if so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

aaron5432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 11:05 AM   #10969
proforeigner
Registered Member

Hello everyone, another new guy here. Not exactly new to the hobby as i use to have 75 gal reef years ago, but then i drifted away just to find myself go back at it again. This time on much smaller scale. I look forward to learning about stuff that i don't know and/or have forgotten. Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Cheers!

Current Tank Info: Starting off with 13 gal reef
proforeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2020, 03:20 AM   #10970
SergioB
Registered Member

Hello all folks

Hello folks I’m Sergio and I’ve been a voyeur on this forum for years! A big thank you to the community, you all have answered all my questions before asking. Now I have to get out of my voyeur status because I can’t find a thread talking about a problem I’m encountering.
Could you address me to the correct forum to ask for strange grey micro algae or bacteria that are growing all over my 1 year old new tank?
Big thanks to all.

SergioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2020, 09:38 AM   #10971
SergioB
Registered Member

Looking for correct thread

Hello I can’t identify the algae or bacteria or whatever it is on the picture growing on my live rocks and suffocating my zoas., star polyps, clavularia tricolor etc.

Could you folks address me to the correct thread on this forum?
Thanks all in advance.

Ciao
S

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BF132D2A-1A14-404E-BD91-0DCF81AE5FA6.jpeg (35.5 KB, 12 views)
SergioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2020, 02:47 PM   #10972
sven
25 and over club
and still stupid!

Like a virgin, but not exactly the first time

I've been a member of Reef Central since Coelacanths were the hot new breed.
I left for several years after an epic disaster. I am retiring now and moving somewhere, as yet undetermined, just not here. The one thing I do know is that when I get where I am going, a decent sized reef will live in my house. Probably somewhere between 180 to 300 gallons in size. It will also include I believe a large refugium and all the bells and whistles to make it thrive. Problem is I have been out of it for so many years that everything has changed. Many of the theories and much of the equipment is all different. I looked at the thread for starting a new tank and although I was delighted they had it and that it was filled with great information, a lot of it is very dated, like the fact it does not mention LED lighting in the lighting section. Does Reef Central have a new, updated list of the current thinking of what works best? Back in my day there were daily debates about deep sand beds and what kind of sand etc. I am looking for a place where I can find some good, up to date, info on what technologies and methods seem to work best in 2020. Is there a thread with that? Glad to get my hands wet again, but I want to do it right. I know it will be very expensive, and I am not a rich person, so I can't afford to do it wrong or have to do it again. Starting from scratch, but with a ton of old school knowledge. Aquariums since 63, Salt since 75, reef since 78.

sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2020, 11:43 PM   #10973
jeremy007
Registered Member

Returning member. Have a Red Sea max nano and a 125 mixed reef. Battling nitrates in the 125 but I will prevail.

jeremy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2020, 01:09 PM   #10974
ricktla
Registered Member

Smile Excited Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm Rick and I'm in the early stages of setting up my first tank. I'm planning a mixed reef tank. I'm relocating from Allen, TX to St. Louis, MO. I bought a house and will set up my tank in the basement there. I saw a picture of a tank built in to the wall and loved it, so that's what I'll be doing.

I'm collecting equipment and learning as much as I can now. My display tank is an Innovative Marine INT 200 with a Trigger Platinum 39 sump. I went with the NYOS Quantum 220 skimmer.

I won't be moving to St. Louis until later this year so I set up a small 20 gallon tall last week to practice going through the cycle process at a smaller scale. Monitoring my ammonia and nitrites now, slow process, but I'm learning to be patient. Determining the test colors looks so easy on YouTube but I'm not at all confident that I've gotten that down yet.

Looking forward to working my way through the process but already enjoying it.

Rick

Attached Images
File Type: jpg INT 200.jpg (50.9 KB, 13 views)
ricktla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 07:52 PM   #10975
proforeigner
Registered Member

My new setup

I finally got around setting up my new tank. Nothing fancy, just 14gal Nuvo Peninsula Pro from BRS. Some sand and dry Marco rocks. Light is Lumini pixie 30, seems fine. I made this light bracket out of light aluminum tube i had at work that swivels to each side but there is a thumb screw so i can secure it to whichever position. And I also made a little bracket for the light with little threaded rod and wing nut so I can set the hight of the light to whatever hight I need too. Also got 50w titanium heater with controller and probe, also from BRS lol. Its been about 3 weeks or so, I dont have any livestock in it yet, im just taking my time. All I have is filter sock as far as filtration goes so far. Water is crystal clear, I used reef crystals and RO, tds from RO is 006ppm, so pretty happy with that. I'm in process of making ATO and trying to figure out how to hide clutter of cables and cords lol. I'll update pics as I go

Current Tank Info: Starting off with 13 gal reef
proforeigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral