Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2020, 02:57 PM   #1
dsmuzic
Registered Member

Recommendations for glass sheets

I'm looking for glass so I can custom build a new tank. What sources would you suggest?

dsmuzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2020, 03:56 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A local glass shop/supplier

Unread 02/22/2020, 04:42 PM   #3
dsmuzic
Registered Member

So you're suggesting home depot or similar for aquarium glass? Glasscages.com seems like a better option considering I can get a variety of thicknesses in the glass and they also offer starfire. Just wasn't sure if there was somewhere else that I wasn't aware of that offered better pricing, quality, or customer service.

Unread 02/22/2020, 04:43 PM   #4
dsmuzic
Registered Member

I also live in a small town so local shops are limited

Unread 02/22/2020, 05:01 PM   #5
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmuzic View Post
So you're suggesting home depot or similar for aquarium glass? Glasscages.com seems like a better option considering I can get a variety of thicknesses in the glass and they also offer starfire. Just wasn't sure if there was somewhere else that I wasn't aware of that offered better pricing, quality, or customer service.
I work for Home Depot. Go to the Millwork desk. They can order glass in any size up to 1" thick including ultra-clear. It's also dirt cheap. Comes from somewhere in Florida. They can do holes, notches, etc. I build tanks for people all the time using it.

You don't need the ultra-clear for the bottom or rear so save some money there.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2020, 05:10 PM   #6
dsmuzic
Registered Member

Ok great. Thank you

Unread 02/22/2020, 06:45 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
I also live in a small town so local shops are limited
Thank you for adding your location.. That helps when recommending suppliers..

I was not recommending home depot but rather a local glass shop specializing in that .. Your location though seems to be limited in that regard though so if you have a hd and can order what you want then great.

Unread 02/22/2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
I'm looking for glass so I can custom build a new tank. What sources would you suggest?
I would suggest buying a whole sheet(s) from a supplier rather than pre-cut panes from a local glazier as the sheet would be much cheaper. But you would have to cut the glass yourself.

I've looked into getting glass cut to size from a local glazier to build tanks. It worked out far cheaper just to buy a tank from a manufacturer.

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2020, 12:48 PM   #9
dsmuzic
Registered Member

This is good to know. I wasn't aware that I could get custom glass from home depot. I'm not really sure about cutting the glass myself, but it's something I'll look into and consider. I appreciate the advice

Unread 02/23/2020, 01:01 PM   #10
dsmuzic
Registered Member

Another question regarding the glass. My aquarium will be 48"Lx24"Wx30"T. What thickness of glass should I use? Would 12mm be overkill? Also will eurobracing be necessary? This is my first build and I want to make sure it's done right.

Unread 02/24/2020, 06:37 AM   #11
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’m not trying to rain on your parade but there are some areas not mentioned yet. Have you any experience with glass or aquarium building? Have you factored in beveled edges on the glass panes? Do you have an idea stress and glass thickness and bracing? If you have then more power to you but having ordered a good number of tanks through the years and seeing what time, engineering and prework goes into making sure the glass is prepared correctly to insure proper adhesion, polishing of edges ect should not be understated. As a past glass installer, glass can be not only be finicky if not properly prepared but also dangerous is underestimated. I’m all for doing DIY projects but in this case I would be hesitant to say “go for it” unless you have some previous experience. Just my $.02.

Unread 02/24/2020, 12:41 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
I’m not trying to rain on your parade but there are some areas not mentioned yet. Have you any experience with glass or aquarium building? Have you factored in beveled edges on the glass panes? Do you have an idea stress and glass thickness and bracing? If you have then more power to you but having ordered a good number of tanks through the years and seeing what time, engineering and prework goes into making sure the glass is prepared correctly to insure proper adhesion, polishing of edges ect should not be understated. As a past glass installer, glass can be not only be finicky if not properly prepared but also dangerous is underestimated. I’m all for doing DIY projects but in this case I would be hesitant to say “go for it” unless you have some previous experience. Just my $.02.
Or as I like to say "If you have to ask questions.. you aren't ready"

Unread 02/24/2020, 02:55 PM   #13
murphreef
Registered Member

I 2nd the above.

If you have not worked with glass before I would not waste my time trying to build something that size as your first tank. You could source out the tank building process to an actual legit shop and save your self all the head aches for just a few hundred bucks in savings....

To me not worth the risk vs reward ratio to build my own tank.

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 07:11 PM   #14
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
Correct - Glass is heavy - For something that size, you will need a friend or two and braces. The custom glass at HD offers several types of glass and six options for the polished edges. I didn't address this because the original question was where can I get the glass, not do I know what I am doing.

Unread 02/28/2020, 10:09 AM   #15
oreo57
Registered Member

Using "Ye old glass calculator"

Still suggest bracing..

Your depth is the killer as to glass thickness.
Going down to 24" depth would save a boat load of money and hassle..

Last edited by oreo57; 02/28/2020 at 10:18 AM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2020, 04:59 PM   #16
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Or as I like to say "If you have to ask questions.. you aren't ready"
So there is no starting point period ?

Unread 02/29/2020, 05:11 PM   #17
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber_steve View Post
So there is no starting point period ?
Always a starting point...always ok to caution people that they may not be ready for a task too...

Unread 02/29/2020, 05:46 PM   #18
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Always a starting point...always ok to caution people that they may not be ready for a task too...
I figured asking questions is how someone becomes ready.

Unread 02/29/2020, 11:11 PM   #19
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber_steve View Post

I've looked into getting glass cut to size from a local glazier to build tanks. It worked out far cheaper just to buy a tank from a manufacturer.

This ^

I had to buy a 1/2” 30X24 ~ish for an internal coast to coast overflow for my peninsula and it was $80. I live in a big city and none of the local shops would cut glass that thick and it had to be ordered.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2020, 11:16 PM   #20
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
This is good to know. I wasn't aware that I could get custom glass from home depot. I'm not really sure about cutting the glass myself, but it's something I'll look into and consider. I appreciate the advice

IIRC, I went to purchase glass from the milworks test at HD and there was only one guy that even knew how to order it. And IIRC, they only guaranteed their cuts to 1/4” inch which isn’t an acceptable tolerance for tank building. DIY acrylic is probably a lot easier.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2020, 05:26 PM   #21
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
IIRC, I went to purchase glass from the milworks test at HD and there was only one guy that even knew how to order it. And IIRC, they only guaranteed their cuts to 1/4” inch which isn’t an acceptable tolerance for tank building. DIY acrylic is probably a lot easier.
Then the guy there didn't know what he was doing. I have sent them curved templates from a customer to replace a broken tabletop. They cut it exactly. If he said it was .25 he was absolutely wrong. If you want to PM me with your dimensions, I will get you a quote and email it to you. Then you can then take it in there and just tell them to just order it.

Unread 03/06/2020, 06:45 PM   #22
dsmuzic
Registered Member

So yes I have a bit of experience building tanks just not of this size. I've built a 40 gallon and a 55 gallon and they worked just fine. I did look into buying a tank from a manufacturer but rimless tanks of that size actually cost 2x as much as it would cost me to get glass sheeting from a local Glazer cut and beveled. I did look into the milworks dept at home depot but they said that they couldn't order anything custom. I have friends to assist with the build

Unread 05/20/2020, 09:11 AM   #23
Alex3344
Registered Member

I've been building tanks in the UK and Europe for 35 years, and have always placed the sides and ends on the bottom panel. We've built tanks up to 20' x 42"(high) x 72"(wide) using this method, without any problems. However, it's essential that the tank is sitting on polystyrene or something similar to spread the load evenly and to help iron out any slight imperfections in the base. Find a decent glass manufacturer

Alex3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 09:12 AM   #24
Alex3344
Registered Member

I've been building tanks in the UK and Europe for 35 years, and have always placed the sides and ends on the bottom panel. We've built tanks up to 20' x 42"(high) x 72"(wide) using this method, without any problems. However, it's essential that the tank is sitting on polystyrene or something similar to spread the load evenly and to help iron out any slight imperfections in the base. Find a decent glass manufacturer

Alex3344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass assembly, tank advice