Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2018, 09:57 AM   #76
zachtos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith@ ATI NA View Post
Zachtos keep in mind the 1000ml bottle is diluted to make 10L of solution. This means a set of Essentials would last him 2 weeks.
OK, so about $80/mo, $1200/year with tests, dosing etc. Not cheaper than water changes, but saves time... maybe worthwhile.

I'm planning to do CaRx with masterflex pump to regulate Ca/Alk and then do ATI ICP testing 2-3 month intervals, and dose elements as needed, but not use the ATI essentials as I don't want the Ca/Alk. Especially don't want to spend $600 on Apex dosers when I have a $1000 CaRx system working just fine. I estimate for my 300G reef based on his estimated usage:
$1200/yr = ATI essentials and bi-monthly ICP + $600 setup for dosers
$600/yr = CaRx w/ ATI elements ($200 allowance) and bi-monthly ICP
$500/yr = Water changes 10% / week (with waste water cost/resin etc)

I'm not sure which way is best, but think they all follow same concept, replenish trace elements. I have no issue with nutrients, so I think water changes are kind of wasteful.

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 11:12 AM   #77
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtos View Post
OK, so about $80/mo, $1200/year with tests, dosing etc. Not cheaper than water changes, but saves time... maybe worthwhile.

I'm planning to do CaRx with masterflex pump to regulate Ca/Alk and then do ATI ICP testing 2-3 month intervals, and dose elements as needed, but not use the ATI essentials as I don't want the Ca/Alk. Especially don't want to spend $600 on Apex dosers when I have a $1000 CaRx system working just fine. I estimate for my 300G reef based on his estimated usage:
$1200/yr = ATI essentials and bi-monthly ICP + $600 setup for dosers
$600/yr = CaRx w/ ATI elements ($200 allowance) and bi-monthly ICP
$500/yr = Water changes 10% / week (with waste water cost/resin etc)

I'm not sure which way is best, but think they all follow same concept, replenish trace elements. I have no issue with nutrients, so I think water changes are kind of wasteful.

Keep in mind this is a large heavy SPS reef, most people are not using 750ml.

$600 is far more than you need to spend on dosing pumps, our 6 head is only $199.

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 11:37 AM   #78
zachtos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith@ ATI NA View Post
Keep in mind this is a large heavy SPS reef, most people are not using 750ml.

$600 is far more than you need to spend on dosing pumps, our 6 head is only $199.
True, I suppose if I had that many SPS I should be making a bit of money on frag sales. DOS from APEX are costly yes. I'm personally going to try and stick with my $1000+ worth of CaRx gear and try ATI elements + ATI ICP testing.

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 12:39 PM   #79
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtos View Post
True, I suppose if I had that many SPS I should be making a bit of money on frag sales. DOS from APEX are costly yes. I'm personally going to try and stick with my $1000+ worth of CaRx gear and try ATI elements + ATI ICP testing.
For what it is worth I know some people are running CaRx with Essentials. Since Essentials contains so many trace elements, using them together can reduce your cost of Essentials while still reaping the benefits of all the trace elements.

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote