Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2004, 01:34 AM   #51
adminrxb
Registered Member

This fish has more success rate in a reef system. Mine has no interest in any sps, clams and ricordia. I do not have any zoos but am sure that it will be treat. Thinking about adding a small zoo rock to see if mine goes after it. Will post the results soon.

'Its all about colors . ..'
75G SPS, 2x250 aqua-connect 12k, PFO Hqi, 4x96 VHO, 2000Gph flow, ES8-2 skimmer, PM CR-422 Ca Reactor, kalkwasser.
Tank is set for 12 hrs a day lighting.

Current Tank Info: 40G SPS, 75 SPS
adminrxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2004, 06:30 AM   #52
danfishman
Registered Member

I personally think that they only do better in a reef as they are usually 'better' managed and a lot cleaner. If you were to have a well run FOWLR I can't see why it wouldn't be just as successful.

I have had a Regal now for about three weeks. I started it off in a 55 gal with plenty of LR covered in Algaes, sponges etc as it came from my refugium. So far he eats open mussels (or I think you guys call them clams) with Gusto but nothing floating or off the shell. I have tried freezing Mysis, small silversides and marine green formulae in a mussel shell. It eats everything from the shell until it comes off about 1 minute later, which after that it doesn't touch it.
I'm hoping that once its in the main tank it will learn from other fishies. This is going to be a couple of weeks though as it had a mild case of ich.

Its going in a FOWLR so I will tell you how it goes Jerry W

danfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2004, 08:52 PM   #53
Treg
Premium Member

Those are some Awsome looking angels guys.

Last night I come home from work to find my Majestic had died while I was gone. I fed the tank and she never come out from behind the rocks... Suprised, I looked back there to see her on her side, dead. Kind of like moonpods lost regal. Have had her for about 10 months, was a very fat and very active fish. The tank's boss. Even the night before she ate like a beast and was darting in and out of the rocks. There was not a mark on her body when I pulled her out. I am pretty upset about it.

I seen Tropicorium mentioned. That is where my Majestic come from. I like those people up there a lot. My pair of Perculas come from them too. Been over a year now and they are doing great. (Even laying eggs now.) I highly recommend their fish and I think a lot of others in the lower Michigan area do as well. If I decide to get another angel I'll be making the 2 hour trip back north.

I have also always really like the Regals and was just researching them tonight but I really like my Zoo's too... Dont think I want to risk it.

Treg

Treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2004, 03:50 PM   #54
Julio
Registered Member

Treg, sorry to hear about yoru majestic, but it sounds as if it was a fish caught with Cyanide, this used to happen very often and it has happened to me in the past, fish are great and a few months down the line they are dead for no apparent reason. I did a lot of research as to why it happened and i got a lot of feedbag on cyanide being the main cause.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef w/ 250 watt SE XM10Ks and AP1003, 12 gallon reef, 40 gallon reef
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2004, 05:11 PM   #55
goleafsgo
Registered Member

man now i want one. how reef safe r they i have some prized zoos in my thank along with some prized acros and some lps

Unread 09/21/2004, 05:45 PM   #56
Treg
Premium Member

Julio

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea Cyanide could take that long!

I'm still hoping to get another one soon. Then next one will be bought from a different place.

Unread 09/21/2004, 06:28 PM   #57
Julio
Registered Member

just make sure the one you get is net caught usually those from Ausralia are almost guaranteed to be net caught, my LFS brings in babies on a regular basis, 2-3 inches.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef w/ 250 watt SE XM10Ks and AP1003, 12 gallon reef, 40 gallon reef
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2004, 07:28 PM   #58
Treg
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice.

Unread 09/23/2004, 07:46 AM   #59
PorcupinesRule
Registered Member

I have a Regal that I got from a lfs on the gulf coast in fl. on vacation. It was a steal at $59 and eating. It survived a 24 hr. trip home due to the repackaging by the nice folks at Tampa Bay Saltwater which we also stopped at. Anyhow, it relishes frozen clams and squid ( both plain and with garlic and selcon) and cyclop-eeze so far. It also eats julian sprung sea veggies from a clip. It does ignore the mysis I've offered.

So here's my question:Most (if not all) of the posts I've read have their regal's in reefs. Mine is currently in an 80g Fowlr. I've got the impression from the thread that some of these guys are real timid. Mine's got some potentially obnoxious roomates:

5in. volitans lion, 3.5 in. dragon wrasse, 3.5 narrow-lined puffer, and 3.5 in. neon/arabian dottyback. oh and a large coral banded shrimp).

It seems to be doing fine, I have'nt had it for that long though, around 3 weeks. It's not timid and comes to eat with the rest of the fish.

I want to know if you think it would possibly do better in: A) my 180g Fowlr (7.5 in porcupine puffer, 8 in. lunare wrasse, 4.5-5 in niger trigger, 5 .5 in bluethroat trigger, 6 in toadfish, 5 in. some sort of yellow lion (fuzzy dwarf maybe).We used to have a Koran in here who just died after 8 mos. or so, I would love to have another angel in here.
or my other option choice B: a 75g reef. If you think it's imperative that they be in reef environment I would be willing to move an inhabitant or 2 from that tank into another to accomodate the regal.
So please any opinions are greatly appreciated. I ordered the scott micheal angels and butterflys book from marine depot yesterday for $29.95. Sorry for the extra long post =)

PorcupinesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2004, 01:03 AM   #60
adminrxb
Registered Member

Your 80G fowlr tank really does not have any species that chases the angel. Try making small pieces of mysis shrimp and not add any garlic or vitamin supplement. You want him to start taking mysis if all possible due to its absorbing capability of vitamins and garlic when needed.
I would not go for the 180G fowlr though its bigger in size. Have never kept a regal with triggers but these fish can be mean. Wait for some other advise from RC members on this one.
75G Reef is an option but why move so early. Angel is still trying to adjust in 80G as you have had him for 3 weeks only. Seems like he is eating well so I would let him there for another month if all possible unless you notice some agression by others towards the angel. I would have advised to put him in reef if angel was not already in the 80G. Reef tanks are usually better maintained in water quality and Live rock has more for them to pick on.

'Its all about colors . ..'
75G SPS, 2x250 aqua-connect 12k, PFO Hqi, 4x96 VHO, 2000Gph flow, ES8-2 skimmer, PM CR-422 Ca Reactor, kalkwasser.
Tank is set for 12 hrs a day lighting.

Current Tank Info: 40G SPS, 75 SPS
adminrxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2004, 08:39 AM   #61
moonpod
Premium Member

once my regal got established, it pretty much picked up standard angel behavior--ie pretty obnoxious when it wanted to be.

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2004, 05:03 PM   #62
Tremelle
Registered Member

goleafsgo

If you have some prized zoos, you should not introduce a Regal Angel. It will make quick work of zoos.

Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2004, 10:20 PM   #63
PRINCE_NAMOR
Moved On

Would a Sohal Tang be too aggressive to house with a Regal Angel?

PRINCE_NAMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2004, 08:51 AM   #64
Baalz
Registered Member

maybe ..
my achilles is agressive to slow moving fish and tried to kill my first attempt at a Regal. My 2nd one was bigger then the achilles and the achilles hasn't bothered it at all

Baalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2004, 06:59 PM   #65
kiffo
Registered Member

how are the regals doing guys??? I'd like a lengthy commentary if you please!!

kiffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2004, 07:48 PM   #66
moonpod
Premium Member

I dunno the others, but mine is just fine. Don't exactly remember when I got it either, but it's been awhile now. Probably well over a year...

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2004, 09:33 PM   #67
piscies75
Registered Member

new regal today

hi just picked one up a steal at $70 Canadian, climated very slowly and turned off the lights for the night, Put a big tea cup in and it went right to it. going to quarantine him in my 35 gallon established tank for 30 days , only a tomato clown in with him. then hopefully on to 180 gallon reef, running my uv sterlizer. The store claimed they had no special food to feed it and had it over two weeks. I was really impressed with Sept tank of the month by John C. and a friend of mine who is wood duck carver but recently started doing bass and koi , helped me carve a Regal. The carving was done in one day over seven hours, I just have to paint it. I will certainly post it when I through, so far I am just blown away at how nice it is. The 180 established just over a year, presently large naso female, purple , yellow tank, two black clarkis. Three chromis, one large lawnmower and a psychodelic mandarin. I also have 3 large shrimps are these safe with Regals? I have five colonies of zoos, if it eats them I will move them , are zoos any nutricional benefit? What about black nori is it much different than the red? thanks so much.

piscies75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2004, 04:49 AM   #68
piscies75
Registered Member

fool and his money

dead as a doorknob. don't be sorry, another case had to have it. on sale, Put it in the freeze, so when I paint my carving will have a reference. anybody know how to taxidermy?

piscies75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2004, 06:26 AM   #69
Baalz
Registered Member

bummer..

Unread 10/11/2004, 06:50 AM   #70
kiffo
Registered Member

Thats a shame perhaps putting it straight into the 180 would've been better??

kiffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2004, 03:04 PM   #71
Bugger
Moved On

Does anybody know what kinds of sponges reagal's eat in the wild. any pics

Bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 03:32 AM   #72
Pianoplayer
Registered Member

Hi all:
my regal experience is that it's really hard to keep in FOT,but for RT, I think it's better as she loves eating the 'lifes' on the live rock. But it's possible for her to bit the coral, be careful!
In Hong Kong, the regal sells at only 10 to15 US dollars, but for the golden regal sells at 25-30 US. I love her so much due to her beatuful apperence with yellow bar lines. I am only 17, a student in HK, but I love fishes so much. My longest record of keeping regal is only 2 months, don't know why she always get some strange diease...... So sad of her leaving me. I will try to keep still as I love her and not expensive in HK I think US,Canada cost very expensive, am I right? so I am so lucky that can perchase them with low price I hope one day I could keep her for al least 6 months.

Current Tank Info: Fish only tank
Pianoplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 03:40 AM   #73
Pianoplayer
Registered Member

attach her lovely look

How come JPEG can't be posted?

Current Tank Info: Fish only tank
Pianoplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 08:26 AM   #74
reefyguy
Registered Member

Well I just added my regal. It looks like he is very active in the tank. However, it hasnt eaten yet. I have tried mysis and brine shrimp flake food and it comes out during feeding but does not touch it....I will try angel formula and nori tonight....Im on day 3 of this fish not eating.

reefyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2004, 10:07 AM   #75
Baalz
Registered Member

try nori or dulce. Thats all mine will eat.