Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2019, 09:22 AM   #976
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I hope the hot water works. That's an interesting idea, for sure. Sorry to hear about the manatee grass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it rebounds. Maybe the bump in salinity will be the ticket.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2019, 10:12 AM   #977
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin. The hot water trick did not work. I'd like to try doing it again, on successive days next time. Maybe that would weaken it enough that the snails would 'smell blood'. Maybe even do it several times a day.

On the manatee grass, since I have narrowed it down to a drop in salinity as the cause, I've been thinking about the cause of the drop. I feed the fish frozen mysids and cyclops. I put them in ro/di water - pure fresh water. Feeding the tank two or three times a day adds up, so that may be the reason for the drop in salinity. Going forward, I will put them in tank water, so I don't gradually dilute the salinity. I'll also keep an eye out for salt creep, which can gradually lower salinity as well. I don't appear to have very much, so I doubt it is a major contributor.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 03:22 PM   #978
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Too bad the hot water trick didn't work. Hopefully, it will with the successive days.

That makes sense to me how the salinity dropped. BTW, Are you heating your tank water for the hot water trick? Because the hot water trick using FW could also drop your salinity if you do it often enough. Is the manatee grass starting to recover?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 07/10/2019, 03:35 PM   #979
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's a good point Kevin. I was using ro/di. I didn't want to put salt water in my electric tea pot, which I just bought recently. I think I'll stick with that and just be vigilant checking salinity. I'd guess I'm using less than a quarter cup per session - one small syringe at a time. But thanks for calling it to my attention!

Unread 07/10/2019, 03:42 PM   #980
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looking at my tank and comparing to how it was two months ago, you'd think it has peaked and is now in decline. The Manatee Grass has been decimated. It breaks my heart!

Oddly enough, all of my other plants are doing great. So, as the green two thirds of the tank has gotten sparse, the red one third is filling in very nicely. It's a strange feeling. Bitter sweet I guess.

There is hope! Looking closely at the manatee grass, I can see a few new shoots. Correcting the downward drift in salinity seems to be fixing the problem. So, fingers crossed, I'm on the rebound!

Today I bought a tiny emerald crab at my LFS. I went there originally to get a new peppermint shrimp, but they were out, so I decided to give this little guy a try. I have a little bit of bubble algae, which these crabs are supposed to eat, so he should fit nicely into the biodiversity puzzle.

Unread 07/11/2019, 07:30 AM   #981
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Glad you're getting new shoots, so there is hope! I'll cross my fingers and my eyes! Emerald crabs are very cool!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/11/2019, 01:06 PM   #982
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin!

This hobby will test you! The harder it is, the more rewarding it is. I shouldn't complain. After all, I managed to get through the uglies at the five month mark, including dinos, so on balance, I have much to be grateful for. And I did say I wanted this tank to teach me about Nature, so yay!

Unread 07/11/2019, 02:24 PM   #983
vlangel
Registered Member

I hope the manatee grass comes back for you. It sounds promising.

I love the emerald crabs as I think they are adorable in a homely sort of way. Mine do not eat my bubble algae hiwever. I guess they are finding food more to thier liking. Its ok, I love them just the same.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 04:33 PM   #984
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It think the manatee grass will come back. It's just a shame I let it get to this point. Yet another lesson!

I've heard that about the emeralds. Hopefully mine will like the bubbles. My biggest concern would be if it went after a desirable macro. Have you seen that happen?

Unread 07/13/2019, 05:09 PM   #985
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today I did a big black grasilaria export and glass scraping. Tank looks pretty good, excepting the manatee grass. As I said above, it seems to be recovering. I haven't been dosing anything for weeks. Today I dosed iron. Some macros look to be fading a bit in color, so I thought I'd dose just one thing and then see how they respond.

The unknown green macro that grew out of the live rock was growing out onto the sand, so I pulled a handful and put it up on the fake wall. It reminds me of petticoats, so, for now I'm going to call it petticoat algae.

The feather Caulerpa (sertulariodes) is also climbing the wall. Today I found another bit among the grasses. Looking at it through the magnifying glass revealed it is Caulerpa mexicana! Turns out my snails must have missed one. Now I'm tempted to remove the Caulerpa sertulariodes, in favor of the mexicana, which is what I wanted all along.

This morning I got an email from Live Aquaria informing me they had finally gotten Maiden's Hair algae in stock, so I ordered one. I've been waiting a while for this one, so I'm pretty stoked! Finally, I'm getting the greens I want for the back wall. Woohoo!

On the QT front, I've been running my three QTs with bleach in them for two weeks, to kill Uronema and anything else icky. Today I broke them all down and cleaned them up. Now everything is outside drying thoroughly before I set them back up. I've decided the best course of action is to go back to square one with them, in hopes of not killing anymore fish. Anything wet got the full treatment. I realize I'll have cycle them all over again, but it has to be done. I'll just do one fish in each tank to minimize stress and just be super careful, and fatten them up, and medicate if needed.

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 07/13/2019 at 05:44 PM.
Unread 07/13/2019, 05:18 PM   #986
bryson.bobby
Registered Member

It was 107°f when I went to the Moab last year. Crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bryson.bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 05:48 PM   #987
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey bryson.bobby! Thanks for reading my thread and welcome to Reef Central!

I love Moab. So beautiful! I go in the spring or fall, when it's not so hot.

Unread 07/13/2019, 05:52 PM   #988
Speaker73
Registered Member

No idea 7

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Speaker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 05:25 AM   #989
vlangel
Registered Member

Hi Michael, sorry to be getting back to you so late but in answer to your question about emerald crabs...I have not had trouble with them eating desirable macro algaes. I am really not sure what they eat but I regularly feed frozen green foods as well as veggie pellets for the blennies. Probably the crabs are getting some of that as well.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 07/15/2019, 06:29 AM   #990
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Mine is the size of my thumbnail, so I don't expect much trouble from him, for now. I add sinking veggie pellets as well. I feed the fish pretty generously too, so there should be plenty for him to eat. Ideally, he would eventually find the few bubble algae I have and eat those, and just help keep the tank tidy.

Unread 07/15/2019, 10:24 PM   #991
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hooray for the scientific method! (I'm referring to changing only one variable at a time to see it's effect)

Two days ago I dosed iron for the first time in about a month. The biggest change was that most of the petticoat algae died back, except for the ones that are shaded. What does this indicate? Probably that my tank didn't need any iron added and/or I dosed too much. No other ill effects were observed.

Iron can get used up quickly in planted tanks. The exception to that is tanks with soil substrates, like mine. In Diana Walstad's book, "The Ecology of the Planted Tank", she concluded that her soil substrate contained a roughly three year supply of iron.

The difference between her tank and mine is hers was planted with higher plants, which have actual functioning roots, to get at the soil nutrients. My macro algae doesn't. BUT, some of my soil is exposed to the water column, making the soil nutrients, like iron, available to the macros. In my previous tank, v1, I had almost no soil, and it was deep in the sand bed. That tank needed regular dosing of iron.

So I guess I can conclude that I won't be needing the half gallon bottle of iron I just bought for some time. This also points to the soil substrate 'working', for my seagrasses, which are higher plants AND my macros, which aren't. This simplifies my dosing, which I like. In fact, with my heavy fish feeding lately, I may have nitrogen, phosphorus and trace elements covered as well. So CO2 injection may be all I need to approach the ideal ratio for seagrasses and macro algae of 500-40-1 (Carbon-Nitrogen-Phosphorus).

Unread 07/16/2019, 02:56 PM   #992
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

QT start date, July 16.

3 Tuxedo Damsel fish. Each gets it's own tank. No tank mates = less stress.

I've been studying up on quarantine procedures. There's a great thread (a sticky) in the 'New to the Hobby' section, here on RC. Posted by Sk8r, it's called "Death in bags...acclimation fatality: why it happens". In the very first post, it links to his recommended procedure: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939508

The gist of it is that drip acclimation is a bad idea, opening up your new fish to ammonia poisoning, causing internal damage, and making it difficult to have success with new fish. So I ditched the drip and went with the Sk8r method. I'll report back once I've had more time with them.

I also got one Nassarius Snail, for leftover cleanup (and to reach the $99 threshold to get free shipping), one Peppermint Shrimp, and one Maiden's Hair macro algae. My previous peppermint disappeared a month or two ago, and I wanted to have an aiptasia eater in the tank. Neither of my two LFSs had any in stock. The maiden's hair is a plant I've been pining for, for months, and finally Live Aquaria got some in so I grabbed one. I placed it at the base of the back wall, to encourage it to climb.

Unread 07/17/2019, 06:54 AM   #993
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow, you've made some exciting additions. I can't wait to see them when they finally get into your tank. It's interesting about what happened when you dosed the iron, and your theory about the soil. Again, paving the way for the rest of us!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/17/2019, 12:08 PM   #994
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin!

Unfortunately, one of the damsels died today. It never looked good, so it wasn't too surprising. The other two look great and are eating well, so I'm hopeful. I am determined to get my QT situation resolved and working properly.

With the petticoat algae dieback, several Botriocladia plants were revealed. The petticoat is already bouncing back too, so no permanent harm done. There are so many red macros growing from the live rock! As they grow taller and fuller, it's really looking good!

One of the things I hoped to accomplish with the iron dose, was to improve the red coloring of the red macros, particularly the botriocladia. I saw only a marginal improvement, if any. Is it possible they're getting too much light? It seems doubtful. I have a supplemental CFL bulb over the right end of the tank I could turn off. I suspect another trace element nutrient is lacking. Iodine? Magnesium? Suggestions anyone? In v1, dosing iron always did the trick.

I dosed a little ammonia yesterday, to help spur growth in the grasses and macros. I'm seeing more signs the Manatee Grass is coming back, with more new shoots visible.

I finally saw my new emerald crab, Mister Crabs, today. He was riding Seymore, the cucumber, and eating things off his skin. I really hope he finds the green bubble algae soon. I've yet to see my new peppermint shrimp, Han Solo II. I spotted an aiptasia anemone, so he needs to report for duty.

I'm seeing more new life on the live rock. Sponges, feather dusters, and even a few Ricordia mushrooms (I think). Both of the caulerpas are growing well. Going forward, I will refer to them as 'feather' (Caulerpa sertulariodes) and 'fern' (C. mexicana). The new Maiden's hair looks happy, swaying in the back and forth current. Hopefully it will find the conditions suitable and begin climbing the back wall.

Unread 07/17/2019, 06:51 PM   #995
vlangel
Registered Member

That is interesting about a soil substrate having iron for approximately 3 years. I am very interested in adding soil to my planted reef eventually.

Unread 07/17/2019, 07:04 PM   #996
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, Dawn, I was surprised by that. And it wasn't a big tank either. She's the 'dirt-in-the-substrate' expert that led me down this path.

I recently read an article online that in Nature, even macro algae can benefit from soil exposed to the overlying water. Though I doubt many would purposely expose dirt in their tanks, between my putzing with the grasses and my worms' activities, a fair amount of my dirt is exposed nowadays. It's not as pretty as a bright white sand bed, but it looks natural. It's interesting to me how my own natural v aesthetics line in the sand keeps moving! Back in the early nineties, when I first got into marine aquariums, I required bleached white coral skeletons!

Unread 07/23/2019, 03:27 PM   #997
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Back in the early nineties, when I first got into marine aquariums, I required bleached white coral skeletons!
Likewise, when I started in the late 70's, all of the saltwater tanks had bleached corals. Red pipe organ coral and that blue plate coral (I forget the name). Around 1980, I kept my first live rock, a Christmas tree rock. I didn't know anything at the time, so it probably died of starvation. I kept that tank spotless, and that probably was the wrong idea.

Everything in your tank now, Michael, sounds like it's doing well again. Grasses showing improvement, red macros looking good. I can't wait for your next round of pics

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/23/2019, 05:38 PM   #998
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I had the red pipe and the blue plate too! Those were the exception to the all white rule. I remember first seeing live rock and thinking it was ugly.

Everything is moving in the right direction, I think. The manatee grass still looks bad though. Maybe next time I post pics, I'll just focus on the other stuff.

One week into QT and the two remaining tuxedo damsels are doing well. I bought a small, clear-ish storage box to use as an in-tank acclimation box. I suspect Papillon (the one in the display) might not be thrilled with two new 'friends' dropped into 'his' tank. It seems like a good idea to transition them this way, to keep the stress down.

Unread 07/27/2019, 05:40 PM   #999
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I did a small water change today, in the display. Also for the QTs, water changes to lower salinity. Will do again tomorrow to get to hypo levels. The tuxedo damsels are doing very well, with no signs of problems, eleven days in. I started them at salinity to match Live Aquaria's salinity. Now I want to keep them in hypo conditions for a while, to make sure they are ICK-free. I'm keeping them fat and happy. This seems like a really good idea, the more I think about it.

There's a new depression in the sand. I thought maybe Han Solo II, the peppermint shrimp had dug it, to get at a spaghetti worm. I was wrong. The Neon Damsels did it! Looks like the beginnings of spawning activity. Ah, romance… The two young lovers look like they don't yet know what to do with each other, but they're taking it slow…

Fern Caulerpa is spreading. I've positioned some on the back wall. The Petticoat algae is bouncing back quickly too. The Sargasm weed has stayed low and compact so far. Recently I've seen what look like the start of new stems. Is it about to reach towards the sun? That would be cool! The String of Pearls plant is making a comeback, after declining for months. I'd really like this plant to get a little leggier. Botriocladia plants are growing all over the live rock. After never having much luck with them, it's great to have them growing like weeds. The two reds I'm most excited about, Halymenia Elongotta and Halymenia Floridana are still doing well too, growing slow and steady. If I can get them to grow large, I will be quite content.

Unread 07/29/2019, 12:02 PM   #1000
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Full tank shot. Here you can see the extent of the devastation of the Manatee grasses. From well over 60 plants to around 13 or so. The remaining plants look healthy and ready to multiply, so I'll call that the silver lining. The splash of red grows bigger and more crowded.

From the end. The reds are all growing well, and filling in the patch reef structure.

From left to right: resurgent String of Pearls, Botriocladia 'weeds', and understated Halymenia Elongotta. Also note Barnacle Blenny at the bottom, showing off his independent eye control.

More of the red menagerie. Hard to see, but the red macro obscuring the base of the right mangrove pod, looks to be Halymenia Floridana. This is a plant I've coveted for years. My first two purchases failed, but this freebie looks promising!

Codium. These plants are hanging in so far, as summer temps are pushing my water temps above 80. This particular plant has lots of little sea squirts attached, though I doubt you can see them in this pic.

More of the reds. Note at bottom left, the petticoat algae returns. More Botriocladia was revealed when the petticoat got beat down by my iron dosing.

Shoal Grass. I had a burst of growth from these, as salinity dropped and Manatee grass declined. This is exactly what happened when I dropped v1 to hypo levels. From my experience with these two plants, I would say that shoal grass prefers salinity of 20-25ppt, and manatee grass prefers 25-30ppt.

All three damsels got in the pic, for a change. There non-stop movement makes them difficult to photograph. See also the green mound of Maiden's Hair algae against the back wall, as well as some feather caulerpa starting the climb.

Better shot of the maiden's hair and caulerpa.

Botriocladia, petticoat, with a little orange, encrusting sponge. Not visible in this pic, but several of the unidentified bivalves are still humming along. I forget about them until I see the live rock move…

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass