Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

How much light do mushrooms really need?

So I have 2 mushrooms in my tank. I have LEDs, and with my research, I've figured that the PAR they produce 9 to 12 inches down is 70-50. From what I've found, most people recommend keeping mushroom under 100 PAR. I'm not exactly able to raise the mushrooms without changing the entire aquascape; and currently, they are about 11 inches below the lights.

Personally, I don't care much for growth, As long as they are healthy and not shrinking. Do you think that they will be ok (not thriving, just good) in their current situation? The mushrooms don't look like they are stretching or anything, and are the same size as when I got them.

Last edited by Frost_Hydra; 08/17/2018 at 05:38 PM.
Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Gorgok
Registered Member

I have mushrooms on top of a rock maybe 10" below the surface under a 250W MH. Some on the side of a rock closer to 16" and one that has decided to grow on the underside of an arch roughly 14" under surface... They all seem fine.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Mushrooms, bottom, low light, low flow.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 03:54 AM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

How long have they been in that spot? Sounds like they're happy. I've had mushrooms growing on the undersides of dim caves, directly under 400w mh lamps, and everywhere in between. They're definitely not picky.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

well, they have been there for about 2 weeks. What concerned me is that twice now around 8 PM I've seen one turn their stomach inside out. Both times it happened at 8 pm (when lights are the dimish), but at 6 AM it returned back to normal and seemed fine. What worried me is that when I had a BTA it also did this, and lasted a few months (though I realize that my lighting was nowhere near enough for it).

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote